R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Spool vs Diff vs One-Way (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/150317-spool-vs-diff-vs-one-way.html)

CRASH 02-18-2007 06:56 PM

Spool vs Diff vs One-Way

Just curious as to what everyone thinks is the best: Type of tires, Type of surface, etc...

I have been using a spool, with rubber tires on carpet. Most people tell me I need to put a diff in or use a one-way but not a spool.
I have been having fairly good success with it just curious as to what everyone elses take is?

Thanks, :)

UN4RACING 02-18-2007 07:09 PM

Well I didn't like the spool at all with foam. I'm going to the diff, and then maybe back to the one way. The Spool sucked. Usually I'll give tests like that more of a chance but I hated it that much. Maybe if the traction were higher? I don't know. The spool had a good mod feel though. The slower 4300 motor it didn't flow like a one way would with the slower motor.

CRASH 02-18-2007 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by UN4RACING
Well I didn't like the spool at all with foam. I'm going to the diff, and then maybe back to the one way. The Spool sucked. Usually I'll give tests like that more of a chance but I hated it that much. Maybe if the traction were higher? I don't know. The spool had a good mod feel though. The slower 4300 motor it didn't flow like a one way would with the slower motor.

I saw your car run, I know it didn't work for you. Haven't seen you since.

Later, :)

tbeardmore 02-18-2007 08:42 PM

Spool on carpet with rubber tires works!

UN4RACING 02-18-2007 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by CRASH
I saw your car run, I know it didn't work for you. Haven't seen you since.

You wont see me till that dang spool is out either.

wrxnfx 02-19-2007 01:24 AM

I think this partly comes down to driving style. I tried a spool and I hated it. Diff in the front seems like a decent compromise if you're not comfortable with a one-way. I think the one-way could be quicker if you don't mind the rear end being a little loose. This is of course on asphalt that I'm driving on and only my personal opinion.

Faiz 02-19-2007 01:58 AM

regradless of what being said of those spool, diff, and one-way,
its just an option,
mostly I prefer spool with the expense of more front drive train wear than diff or one-way, but I might try/use other option on different track,

To quench your curiosity, whether it is useful for you or not,
I suggest you should give yourself full 1 or 2 day trying each of that option in your favourite track, if necessary track your laptime on each of them,

it may not easy and takes time for getting proper setup to suit your driving style, anyway it would give you good lesson,

what I understand is that, each of them need different setup and different approach on driving it.

CRASH 02-19-2007 03:40 AM

Originally Posted by tbeardmore
Spool on carpet with rubber tires works!

That is what I will be running up in Omaha this weekend. Looks like its going to be anawsome weekend.

CRASH 02-19-2007 03:41 AM

Originally Posted by Faiz
regradless of what being said of those spool, diff, and one-way,
its just an option,
mostly I prefer spool with the expense of more front drive train wear than diff or one-way, but I might try/use other option on different track,

To quench your curiosity, whether it is useful for you or not,
I suggest you should give yourself full 1 or 2 day trying each of that option in your favourite track, if necessary track your laptime on each of them,

it may not easy and takes time for getting proper setup to suit your driving style, anyway it would give you good lesson,

what I understand is that, each of them need different setup and different approach on driving it.

I think I will try that over the next couple of weeks.

Run the spool and the one-way and track the lap times.

Skiddins 02-19-2007 04:26 AM

I've tried all three types on tight carpet tracks, and the spool always gives mne the best lap times.

Just tighten up a ball diff a lot to give yourself a spool that can take impacts.

Skiddins

John Tag 02-19-2007 04:38 AM

Rubber tires on carpet I ran a One way .. 1 way packed with grease to slow reaction makes it real easy to drive and gives fast lap times and you can drive it real hard..... ;)

OVA 02-19-2007 05:03 AM

Originally Posted by John Tag
Rubber tires on carpet I ran a One way .. 1 way packed with grease to slow reaction makes it real easy to drive and gives fast lap times and you can drive it real hard..... ;)

i don't use grease in mine....I'm sure you drive better with grease but putting grease will slow the car down... Give Faster lap time don't see how...

dawgmeat 02-19-2007 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by OVA
i don't use grease in mine....I'm sure you drive better with grease but putting grease will slow the car down... Give Faster lap time don't see how...

he made the A-main at the birds and he also pass this info onto me and it did make car easy to drive and my laps time improves

Charles Godwin 02-19-2007 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by OVA
Give Faster lap time don't see how...

More consitant i guess :tire:

Charles

Yeti35 02-19-2007 06:04 AM

I think personally it is all in how you drive and what works best for you. I love a spool for outdoors and was using it w/ rubber on carpet up untill we changed the layout. For some reason it did not seem to work as well for me on this layout so I am going to try a one way next. I have heard and been told that a spool is not always consistant on carpet. I think it all boils down to driving style as well.