Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Stripped Screw Removal...

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2003, 05:46 PM
Tech Adept

Default Stripped Screw Removal...

Can anybody point me in the direction of a tool that will remove a screw with a stripped head from the bottom of my chassis? I know that most of the time you can just grab a Dremel and slot the screw head, but the screw is countersunk and I don't want to fudge up my nice graphite chassis . Please help, this is driving me crazy!
Old 03-17-2003, 05:49 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Craftsman makes a striped screw remover, havent tried it yet.
http://www.sears.com/sr/product/summ...id=00952154000
Old 03-17-2003, 06:10 PM
Tech Elite

Default Stripped Screw Removal...

If the Driver slot(s) are not completely rounded. There is a Anti-Camout compound you can buy that will grab the screw much tighter. Should be able to get it at a decent Hardware supply Store. Otherwise it's Dremel time.
Old 03-17-2003, 06:28 PM
Tech Elite

There is also something called an "easy out". You will need a reversible drill though. How it works is you drill down the center of the screw with a bit, then using the reversible feature of the drill use the "easy out". This will grab the screw from the inside of the drilled screw and back it out not hurting your graphite chassis.
Old 03-17-2003, 06:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Or you could get a left handed drill bit, as soon as it starts bitting into the screw it will back right out.....
Old 03-17-2003, 07:16 PM
Tech Regular

Are there any other ways for a reeeaaallly small screw? I have these very small screws that hold the battery pack thingy down. They are very small and the alen wrench cannot remove it.

What do you guys suggest?
Old 03-17-2003, 07:18 PM
Tech Elite

Is this on your XXX-sgraphite??
Old 03-17-2003, 07:42 PM
Tech Elite

Default 'EASY OUT'

Originally posted by RCInfinity
There is also something called an "easy out". You will need a reversible drill though. How it works is you drill down the center of the screw with a bit, then using the reversible feature of the drill use the "easy out". This will grab the screw from the inside of the drilled screw and back it out not hurting your graphite chassis.
I don't think they even make an 'Easy-Out' for screws that small (3mm?) Maybe a 1/8" left-handed bit, but in Plastic/Graphite it would be risky.
Try a VERY sharp pointed set of Diagonal wire cutters to grab the broken screw with. This will work if there is enough of the screw left to grab on to.
Old 03-17-2003, 09:12 PM
Tech Adept

Thanks for the advice, my dad says we have some easy-out bits. If that doesn't work, I might try that Craftsman set. Thanx again!
Old 03-17-2003, 09:21 PM
Tech Adept

try putting CA glue in the head then glue your tool into the screw .. leave overnight then unscrew in the morning.
Old 03-17-2003, 09:33 PM
Tech Elite

Default Re: 'EASY OUT'

Originally posted by popsracer
I don't think they even make an 'Easy-Out' for screws that small (3mm?) Maybe a 1/8" left-handed bit, but in Plastic/Graphite it would be risky.
Try a VERY sharp pointed set of Diagonal wire cutters to grab the broken screw with. This will work if there is enough of the screw left to grab on to.
I have one, got it from Pepboys.
Old 03-17-2003, 09:54 PM
Tech Apprentice

You can also use normal drill bit to drill out the head of the screw. Use a drill bit that's about the same size as the screw and drill through the head until it head seperated from it's body. Now you have a chassis safetly removed from the stripped screw but the remaining part of the screw still struck in another parts. If you don't drill too much then some of the thread will stick out of that part. Use vise,locking plier or whatever to grap that sticking thread and unscrew it out. BTW the drilling process produce a lot of heat that may melt some chassis so you should use a sharp drill bit with some lube.

Another way is using a screw remover bit. I think that mine was made by Vermont. The smallest size that intend to use for large screw work just fine for 3mm countersunk screw but you have to pick the right size drill bit that slightly larger than the tip of the remover.

Last edited by tifosi; 03-18-2003 at 01:36 AM.
Old 03-18-2003, 12:48 AM
Tech Regular

If you have stripped the hexagonal solt of the screw I guess the screw is aluminum? In that case you just take an allen key of the next size (proper, not with the L-shape) and hammer it in and unscrew the screw. Very easy with aluminum screws.
Old 03-18-2003, 05:24 AM
Tech Elite

Stripped screw??...ehhhh just throw the whole car away and buy another...LOL!!!! J/K!!!
Old 03-19-2003, 07:18 AM
Tech Regular

sorry if I wasnt specific enough. It is the receiver battery case in my XXX-NT that screws down the cover. BTW it is a very tiny screw. help?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.