Community
Wiki Posts
Search

It's Everybody's Fault

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2007, 03:10 PM
Tech Rookie

Angry

Obviously we're on different sides of this debate. you have a good point, but what if you don't have the money to buy everything that looks nice to you? then you get discouraged by the fact that you can't buy that awsome stuff. i know i cant afford to run 3 classes with top-of-the-line equipment. it all depends on the local economy, whether or not people can afford the latest and greatest that the sponsered drivers use. I see your point, and sponsered drivers do promote new probucts, but if the local people can't afford it, then it's discouraging and a wast of time and money.
Turbocharged
Old 07-01-2007, 04:33 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

When the regular racers buy all that new equipment,
they sell off their old stuff for some great prices, that's where the new racers can get into good equipment for a fraction of the original price and eventually move up to the new stuff.
The track owners don't complain about that, they are happy to see new people showing up, sticking around and eventually buying more.
Old 07-01-2007, 05:41 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)
Default problem with buying new and selling old for very little

I buy many things used on rctech but originally someone had to buy the item new. The problem is that you buy the $400 + touring car, then spares, hop ups, etc. You are now at $600. 6 months later the new version comes out and now your $600 is worth $275 (maybe.) This is great for the new racer who can buy your stuff for $275, but how many times will you lose $300 + before you get tired of it and stop racing. The problem is that most racers blame the equipment for why they don't win. They could probably do just as well with a 1 generation old model, but they don't want to. When the money gets tight, they stop racing. If anyone doubts this, look at what the local racers race and see if it is old stuff (even 1 year old) or new stuff.
Old 07-01-2007, 05:44 PM

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Obviously we're on different sides of this debate. you have a good point, but what if you don't have the money to buy everything that looks nice to you? then you get discouraged by the fact that you can't buy that awsome stuff. i know i cant afford to run 3 classes with top-of-the-line equipment. it all depends on the local economy, whether or not people can afford the latest and greatest that the sponsered drivers use. I see your point, and sponsered drivers do promote new probucts, but if the local people can't afford it, then it's discouraging and a wast of time and money.
When I started racing I did not have the money. I always had someone else's welfare give away. My car was a pile, my batteries were junk, and I had no motor. But most of the people I raced with did have the money and were the ones buying the new cars, fancy chargers, and slick ESC's while I was charging my handed down 3300's with a purple MRC Superbrain 969 everyone else had the new MuchMore Cellmasters and related. You make due when you're poor. But the other guys who did have money selling me their old stuff is what kept me going (I bought a 12L3 from C_O_Jones there for $75..)

But we had a sponsored driver in a market that warrants it. I don't really see many poor neighborhoods with racers who are taking the bus and using food stamps.. A smart company would not sponsor someone in a market where it does them no good, unless of course the person is winning huge on a national level and having some impact that way.

Companies do not sponsor people for the fun of it. They do it to make money. The money going out to the sponsored driver and gets their product in hobby shops, and in the racers hands.

Originally Posted by jiml
And what does the hobby shop do with the 5 CRC GenX cars in stock? Not to mention now he has to carry the Corally and all the parts.

Then next week somebody shows up with a Speedmerchant and kick everyone's butt. Now what?
A smart hobby shop doesn't over stock kits because kits make little money. They order them on demand or have 1-2 in stock. Kits can almost always be liquidated for a smaller profit to a market where the kit is still going strong. Unless it's an Associated TC4..

Plus the entire group does not go out and buy the new car. A few do, 1-5 maybe...then you have the hobby shop carrying more parts because they are selling to two groups. Eventually, yes, parts become outdated and some shops get stuck with them; but that is a problem with the market and not the sponsored driver. It's a byproduct of the business. I think it's real rare when you see an entire club switch to a new car because of one driver. XRAY is the dominate car here, but you still find people running Schumachers, Corallys and Tamiyas.
Old 07-01-2007, 11:31 PM
Tech Elite

It is not my fault, I am innocent, I was somewhere else
For those who agree with the first posting: sell your equipment and go fishing, might save yourself a heartfaillure.
I am in this hobby more than 25yrs and never compained, I am the boss of my own wallet so do you. If your spending all your money on the latest equipment it is your own mistake. First better equipment doesn't makes you a better driver and second WE ALL stepped into this hobby to have FUN