Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Difference between analogue and Digital

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2006, 05:08 PM
Tech Regular

Default Difference between analogue and Digital

Just wanting to know what the difference between analogue and digital was. I used to have a 2PL 27MHZ AM rx and TX and was using it with a digital s9550 servo. I have upgraded to an M8 27MHZ FM radio to use with my s9550 servo. Is my new radio digital? and if so will it perform any better with the digital servo than my analogue radio?

Thanks in anticpiation.
Old 10-26-2006, 05:39 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

To answer your last question first, no.

Both radios use digital proportional servo control. As you turn the wheel on the radio, the steering servo responds proportionally to how much and how fast you turn the wheel. The digital part means there are steps between each point the servo stops. This means that every certain number of degrees you turn the wheel, the servo turns that number of degrees. The steps are so small you don't notice them. So technically both radios are digital.

Your first radio uses Amplitude Modulation (AM). The M8 uses Frequency Modulation (FM). AM is cheaper to make. FM is less susceptible to interference.

Digital servos are better than analog servos because they respond faster and have more holding power. Since you're using the same servo as before you probably won't see a big difference, unless the M8 receiver has a faster response time.
Old 10-26-2006, 05:45 PM
Tech Regular

Thanks.
Old 10-26-2006, 05:46 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by WRXTC
Just wanting to know what the difference between analogue and digital was. I used to have a 2PL 27MHZ AM rx and TX and was using it with a digital s9550 servo. I have upgraded to an M8 27MHZ FM radio to use with my s9550 servo. Is my new radio digital? and if so will it perform any better with the digital servo than my analogue radio?

Thanks in anticpiation.
ohh u are using it with AM??? does it work with no errors??
Old 10-26-2006, 05:48 PM
Tech Master

hey jiml, can i use the futaba digital servo into my futaba receiver RF123... my controller is 3pdf.. do you think it will work??
Old 10-26-2006, 05:48 PM
Tech Regular

I was previously using it with AM and I didn't have any problems even though the servo instructions said "do not use with an analogue transmitter."
Old 10-26-2006, 05:52 PM
Tech Master

I was previously using it with AM and I didn't have any problems even though the servo instructions said "do not use with an analogue transmitter."
ohh good.. was it fast when using?? i mean does it work the way it was?? because im planning to use it on my RF123 rx of futaba.. my controller is 3pdf..
Old 10-26-2006, 05:59 PM
Tech Regular

I previously had an s3003 servo and when I bought the s9550 servo I did notice a big difference in response time. I now have a Sanwa M8 and haven't tested it thoroughly at the track but had a play around with it up and down the street and it seems the same mind you the M8 has so many different set up options and it has a setting for steering response and throttle response which I haven't played around with yet. The Futaba 2PL I had previously didn't have those functions and was very basic.

I am not familiar with your controller or receiver. They aren't on the Futaba website, are they old or discontinued? The RX i was using with my 2pl was a R152JE
http://www.futaba-rc.com/radioaccys/futl26.html
Old 10-26-2006, 06:17 PM
Tech Master

I previously had an s3003 servo and when I bought the s9550 servo I did notice a big difference in response time. I now have a Sanwa M8 and haven't tested it thoroughly at the track but had a play around with it up and down the street and it seems the same mind you the M8 has so many different set up options and it has a setting for steering response and throttle response which I haven't played around with yet. The Futaba 2PL I had previously didn't have those functions and was very basic.

I am not familiar with your controller or receiver. They aren't on the Futaba website, are they old or discontinued? The RX i was using with my 2pl was a R152JE
http://www.futaba-rc.com/radioaccys/futl26.html
ok thank you..