Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Will rubber carpet overtake Foam carpet in the future??? >

Will rubber carpet overtake Foam carpet in the future???

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Will rubber carpet overtake Foam carpet in the future???

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2006, 06:18 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by mini-dub
I'm having trouble believing this, did he actually tell you directly? Because everywhere I have run rubber tires on medium to high traction carpet or asphalt (not that I really ever run rubber tires.... LOL ), a used tire is going to make more traction than a new tire.
yes he did tell me, and if you ask him he will tell you too! also, you can get it directly from the horse's mouth here rubber tire thread on page 3, post#66. keep in mind the tire last year was cs27 which stays very consistent in traction for many runs. the rp30 makes more traction in the initial run but drops off more significantly in subsequent runs

Originally Posted by mini-dub
...Reason being, as a tire gets more heat cycles and compound cycles the tire breaks down from the compound, which is what compound does, it softens the rubber by breaking it down and making more grip. So after a few runs the tire is significantly softer from the rubber being broken down making a worn out tire have more traction. This is a little different though on low traction, but that's not what we're talking about. But it is true gluing the sidewalls will take away side bite. But a fresh set of tires will always traction roll less than a used set.
that might be true sometimes under certain conditions, but if that were always the case, then we wouldn't be hearing all the claims here about the tires only being good for a few runs.
Old 10-20-2006, 07:20 PM
jw
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by fast-ho-cars
JW - how many sets of 4 tires were drivers limited to at the IIC. were they numbered/assigned to only that driver?
Hi fast-ho-cars - 4 sets per driver per rubber tire class entered were allowed to be purchased. The tires were marked and labeled with a sticker with drivers name, class and set number & the IIC logo.
Old 10-20-2006, 07:40 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

as far as more traction as a tire gets old goes...

im no chemist or material scientist so i cant tell how this works chemically...

but more traction as the tire breaksdown and gets softer only applies in an ideal situation where the tires material makeup and chemical structure stays the same. this is not the case as the tire goes through heat cycles the actual rubber compound goes through changes due to the heat cycles... i mainly have experience running sorex 36r's on high traction asphalt and what is seems is that as the tire gets more cycles it does get softer overall and loses sidewall stiffness but the rubber loses its "stickiness" i.e. after the first run using paragon you can pull the car off the track and the tires are very sticky... but on an old set say 15+ runs you can pull the car off the track and the tires come off almost dry and not much tack...
Old 10-21-2006, 05:19 AM
Tech Adept

I love rubber and asphalt. To keep the tires useful you have to manage them correctly. Obviously I practice on my old sets and keep my new ones for the races. If you prepare them by using a tire sander before each run and clean them down after with parts cleaner, they come out pretty new.
Old 10-21-2006, 10:55 AM
Tech Apprentice

This all opinions and perceptions. Where I race the sportsman (novice) stock and stock classes went to rubber tires on carpet. So I don't race TC any more, I hate the idea of deevolving a class or classes in the name of a false economics move. Now, before the haters start, I tryed it and broke more parts and peaces after buying more parts to set up the car for the softer set up for rubber than I ever did running foams in a season. The result one less racer and less support for the local track. Why should I spend MY money to race and support a track that doesn't care.
Old 10-21-2006, 12:03 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by lumberjak
This all opinions and perceptions. Where I race the sportsman (novice) stock and stock classes went to rubber tires on carpet. So I don't race TC any more, I hate the idea of deevolving a class or classes in the name of a false economics move. Now, before the haters start, I tryed it and broke more parts and peaces after buying more parts to set up the car for the softer set up for rubber than I ever did running foams in a season. The result one less racer and less support for the local track. Why should I spend MY money to race and support a track that doesn't care.
Personally, I found before I could go fast on rubber tire, I had to slow down and learn about chassis and finess. If you went out there banzai, used to foam tire traction, it's no surprise you broke a bunch of stuff.

Maybe if you talked to your local track about running foam tire they would let you. Here, if we have 4-5 guys running something, you have a class, and are more then welcome to race. Instead of tearing the place down, try being civil about it and Im betting you'll come up with something.
Old 10-22-2006, 08:57 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hi all

What bodies are you guys using with rubber on carpet?
All I see is Mazda 6
Old 10-22-2006, 09:58 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

The only thing foams are good for are Tire Inserts, pan-cars and Factory Drivers.

On a club level there is really no room for foam, you chunk-it you junk-it has been my slogan for foams.

Plus people who say foams last a long time, what do you say to those who true theirs down to the rim to make their cars handle better. . .
Old 10-22-2006, 10:49 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sportpak
Holy crap, it's Dave, it's one of my people!! I thought was on here all alone. Go on, tell them how much fun rubber tire racing is.
You assume too much Ben.

-Sean
Old 10-22-2006, 11:20 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Hustler
You assume too much Ben.

-Sean
It's another one of my people! Good to see you Sean. What do you think about rubber tire?
Old 10-22-2006, 11:32 AM

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)

Originally Posted by lumberjak
Srry to hear you quit because you can't stay off the walls. What kind of car do you own that you had to buy parts to setup a car to be softer besides springs and oils?
Old 10-22-2006, 08:03 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by A-Ko
The only thing foams are good for are Tire Inserts, pan-cars and Factory Drivers.

On a club level there is really no room for foam, you chunk-it you junk-it has been my slogan for foams.

Plus people who say foams last a long time, what do you say to those who true theirs down to the rim to make their cars handle better. . .

Chunks glue back in, I have done it many times. Even if you can't find the piece, you can cut one in from an old tire.

Again, if you want to go fast, you can true the tires down. If you want to go fast in rubber, you will put on a new set every 5 runs (every race day). There is no difference. Speed = $$$
Old 10-22-2006, 08:30 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Giddyup....GIDDYUP...I SAID GIDDYUP DAMN IT!!!!! *WHIP* *WHIP* *WHIP*

This damn horse just won't go anywhere!!!!!

sigh.......
Old 10-22-2006, 08:56 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Advil
Giddyup....GIDDYUP...I SAID GIDDYUP DAMN IT!!!!! *WHIP* *WHIP* *WHIP*

This damn horse just won't go anywhere!!!!!

sigh.......
Gee Art, your horse died....maybe you shouldn't gear him at 5.5
Old 10-23-2006, 08:57 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BlackKat
Gee Art, your horse died....maybe you shouldn't gear him at 5.5
LOL

Killer Packs + 140 degree track temp + 95 degree ambient temp + 5.5 final drive = magic smoke released from motor.

It sure was fast for 4 minutes though....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.