How do you clean your carbon fibre?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How do you clean your carbon fibre?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2006, 04:28 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default How do you clean your carbon fibre?

Hey there guys,

So I am in the process of rebuilding my TRF, but I have a bunch of scratches on my bottom deck that I would really like to get rid of and at the same time look after the carbon fibre, does anybody have any suggestions other that soap and water for cleaning off the dirt?

Naut
Old 10-15-2006, 07:05 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

CA, wet sand, and polish.
Old 10-15-2006, 07:10 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Anthony.L
CA, wet sand, and polish.
CA?

What gritt wet sandpaper and what sort of polish?

Naut
Old 10-15-2006, 07:11 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I think he was refering to the marks on the bottom of the chassis...
I use this stuff called Goo Gone, found in the paint department of any Walmart,
It gets rid of almost anything if you let it set on the problem area for a bit.
Then just rub off. If it is a persistant issue, I would use a scrubbing pad that isn't abrasive, like the plastic ones on kitchen spounges, they seem to work well. Just don't be too rough..
409 is also a really good degreaser.
Hope that helps,
-Shookie <><
Old 10-17-2006, 11:10 AM
Tech Addict

The super-glue is a great idea. I haven't tried it, but I think I see where it could rejunenate the part as well as extend it's life.
First clean the part thoroughly. I think Goo Gone would work very well. However it leaves a lot of residue, so once you're done with that clean again with rubbing alcohol. Make sure their is no grease or residue AT ALL.
Now comes the super-glue. As I said, I haven't done this, but do use it on all edges after sanding to eliminate delaminating. I think the same basic concept applies here.
Once the part is cleaned and dried, lay it horizontal and fill the gouges with super-glue. Don't use more than you need, then allow to settle in and dry. If you still notice troughs after drying you can add more. Try avoiding creating any hi spots to avoid having to sand.
Now the final step is polishing. You may be able to use a good quality chrome polish, but I'm not sure. Definately use a soft cloth to apply, and maybe a good quality automotive finishing polish would be better. Test a scrap piece or a spot that isn't visible and see how it comes out.
Once you're done I suspect that you're going to have a part that looks good as new and is more resistant to further scratching.
Old 10-17-2006, 11:25 AM
Tech Master

I use mothers chrome polish for cars to polish cf. It works great. I use very fine steel wool instead of sandpaper to smooth out the glue also works well.
Old 10-17-2006, 11:30 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

if im after a polished look on my carbon fiber, i scuff it with a carborundum grey final prep pad (similar to scotch brite pad) and spray it with automotive clear coat. not only does this protect the carbon fiber, but it can be buffed if it gets scratched, and anso makes it slightly stiffer.