R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-16-2006, 05:20 PM   #1
Tech Adept

Default FT TC4 vs. XRAY T2R

i currently run a 4-tec, but i am getting into running a faster car, my friend has a TC4 and i dont know what car would be better for me. What are the advantages and disadvantages of both cars?

Thanks!
juanfinesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 05:33 PM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

I had a TC4 and didn't care much for it. I couldn't get the thing to really turn in the way I wanted. The steering rack was a pain to keep tight. Nothing too serious. I don't know anybody with the T2R. I spent $120 on my Tamiya TA05, and it rips. Even with the essentials (shocks & cvds), it's under $200. It's not near as flashy, but I carpet/rubber tire race mine weekly, I love it.

If it came down to the two though, I'd get the T2R. Read the threads, there's guys on here that will tell you what you need to make the call.

Last edited by sportpak; 10-16-2006 at 05:44 PM.
sportpak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 06:24 PM   #3
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

What class are you running and what brand do the LHS support more of.

I think you would be better with the FT TC4 out of the 2 you mentioned especially considering it's only $199 on the AE website and the fact one of your mates has one.

Other car to consider would be the MLP Motorsport X10P4. Its well priced and looks like it would be a weapon.

The thing you must remember is that shaft cars are faster, it's just the facts but belt cars are more forgiving and therefore easier to drive. They are more stable under brakes and smoother on accelaration which in turn instill confidence and makes you a more relaxed and faster driver.

We have a guy here in Aus- Andrew Abbot (AE, Novak sponsered) that often beats all comers and he drives a FT TC4 in mod, so it really comes down to the driver, chassis setup and quality of gear you have. IE: Motors, ESC chargers etc.

I wouyld suggest the TC4 for price, LHS support and the fact your mate has one so you can both work on improvments together which is much easier than doing it yourself.

Hope this helps
zacabrandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 06:30 PM   #4
Tech Master

I forgot about part support. If you have parts locally for the TC4 then really consider that. If you would start to race at a club, you'll need parts.
Old 10-16-2006, 06:32 PM   #5
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to fatbear

For the current price you could not go past a FT TC4. A very fast car in the right hands and certainly still able to hold it's own against any other car.
JConcepts www.jconcepts.net
Ace Hobby Distributors www.acehobbyaustralia.com
fatbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 07:18 PM   #6
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default The Hobby Shop supports more XRay than associated

The hobbyshop we race at supports XRay (I race with the dude who posted the thread). I think he should get a TC4. It's a great car.
RCpurplecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 08:19 PM   #7
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

FTTC4 vXRay T2R is Team Associated's top of the line car vs Team XRay's budget car. That doesn't say much for Associated. Associated is working on a new car and is selling the FTTC4 for only 200 bucks. I think that it is a bad car. I know a few people have had it and didn't like it. The T2 is a great car out out the box, built to manual suggestions. With a few adjustment it is even better. Doesn't brake as easy as the TC4 but parts are more expensive. I would never give up my T2 for the FTTC4. The T2R is supposedly the same as the T2 only have a lower end chassis. I think the T2R is also 200 to buy. It is based on the T2 chassis as far as I know. Good luck with your choice.

Mr. Shookie goes home 10-06-08. Bill Levinson 4-14-15
F. Mendoza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 08:52 PM   #8
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Dane Send a message via Skype™ to Dane

If you plan to stay in racing, you'll soon discover, if you haven't already, that belts are leading the industry. Personally, I've "grown up" with a TC3 but can see how much better the new belt cars are. I can keep up with the belts on a good run but I really have to work the car to squeeze out times and feel as if the car wants to run all over the place. The belts are considerably smoother and easier to drive compared the shafts. Fast is not always the best setup or prep but how comfortable you are with the car.

The FT TC4 is getting a facelift to a brand new platform - that says something. You'll have plenty of room to become fast with a TC4 but I can almost bet that eventually you'll want to go belt. I advise you to skip a step andgo for the XRAY. The car might be budget but has already shown to be as fast as its big brother plus you can always upgrade it to T2 specs down the road.

Have fun

www.toycarracingblog.com
Dane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 09:43 AM   #9
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane
If you plan to stay in racing, you'll soon discover, if you haven't already, that belts are leading the industry. Personally, I've "grown up" with a TC3 but can see how much better the new belt cars are. I can keep up with the belts on a good run but I really have to work the car to squeeze out times and feel as if the car wants to run all over the place. The belts are considerably smoother and easier to drive compared the shafts. Fast is not always the best setup or prep but how comfortable you are with the car.

The FT TC4 is getting a facelift to a brand new platform - that says something. You'll have plenty of room to become fast with a TC4 but I can almost bet that eventually you'll want to go belt. I advise you to skip a step andgo for the XRAY. The car might be budget but has already shown to be as fast as its big brother plus you can always upgrade it to T2 specs down the road.

Have fun
You are a owner of shaftie and reccommend a belt driven car. That show you really believe in BD cars. I sold my SD to go BD and really think it is easiers to drive. Thanks for standing up for BD. I honestly think Bd is a much easiers car to drive especially for the beginner.

Mr. Shookie goes home 10-06-08. Bill Levinson 4-14-15
F. Mendoza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 09:45 AM   #10
Tech Champion

I am usually in the A final with my tc3 most club meetings but have raced it for at least 4 seasons and I have had radio controlled cars for about 12 years.

I would say any car is capable of getting you into the A if you can drive well,but other newer cars have the edge and make things a lot easier for you.

All im saying is that the older cars can still be competitive,but you really have to have something newer if you want to be at the very top.

The xray and tc4 are two very different cars in their transmission layout so I wouldnt favour one out of another but as said,do consider your local parts back up if things dont quite go to plan out on the track

If you can,ask around if you can have a trial with both somewhere and make your own conclusion

The wife stops me being sane and the r/c stops me from going insane....
tc3team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 10:04 AM   #11
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Get the T2R.
Duratrax ICE
porschejim911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 10:12 AM   #12
Tech Master

I never thought I'd tell the difference between a belt car and a shaft car. After the first lap with my Ta05, the TC4 was on ebay as far as I was concerned. I even have to mail order for parts. No regrets.

www.summitrcraceway.com
Old 10-17-2006, 10:23 AM   #13
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Babylou

I have driven both associated and Xray product. Xray I think is a better car by far. Parts are though hard to come buy sometimes. But good thing is the Xray cars are more durable. I have broken only 1 C-cup in over a year.

Right now I drive the FK05 and love it. I;m looking forward to getting the newest Xray car the 007. If you check around there are FK05 and T2 all over the forsale forums for pretty cheap. My choice would be to find your self a good used XRAY for under $200 with some extra parts and let it fly!! You wont be disappointed.

Xray drivers post all their setups too. So they give you a great base to start with in setting it up depending on what surface you are racing on.

Good luck
Babylou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 12:46 PM   #14
Tech Adept

THANKS EVERYONE! THIS REALLY HELPED!!!
juanfinesse is offline   Reply With Quote