Wiki Posts
Search

Why

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2006, 12:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RCGaryK
Yeah, I think if anything either make it a separate class or if you're going to run Mod/19T then you could use LiPo. Main thing would be to neutralize any perceived voltage advantage.
RCGaryK - voltage advantage with a LiPo... I understand some people would try to get you to think this way, but I personally have not seen in any testing an "advantage" in the lap times.

Take a look at this posting on page two:
Originally Posted by Tsquare
There were no problems with lipo's at the KO race, the one thing I did notice, was that people running lipo's switched back to their IB's for the mains, primarily because they felt they had more punch with the IB's.
Neither did others at the KO race...

Maybe I mis-understood your posting... and I'm not trying to flame anyone, just would like the facts and as an educated buyer I will make my own call.
Old 09-13-2006, 12:05 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bvoltz
RCGaryK - voltage advantage with a LiPo... I understand some people would try to get you to think this way, but I personally have not seen in any testing an "advantage" in the lap times.

Take a look at this posting on page two:

Neither did others at the KO race...

Maybe I mis-understood your posting... and I'm not trying to flame anyone, just would like the facts and as an educated buyer I will make my own call.
No, not at all, that's why I said Perceived Advantage. Plus, I always considered Modified to be more of an open, run whatcha brung class too.
Old 09-13-2006, 12:14 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by TPhalen
Look, I agree with you about the importance of LiPos and the progression it could produce. And, if I'm wrong and the LiPo is the next SUPER-HUGE thing that lasts as long as NiCds or NiMh, I'll admit it. I just think, FOR THE MAINSTREAM, LiPos' is not the answer.
I do not think this is the case with people that like LiPo, they are just taking steps forward. In the beginning, changes could be perceived as "SUPER-HUGE", but after 30+ years of evolution, smaller steps are as about as big as it gets... One example, this year at the Reg. 6 off-road race we had a total of about 7 people that did NOT have DSM, last year is was about 7 that did have DSM. DSM was not a huge change, but it was want the members wanted. I think the same is true for brushless and LiPo. What is next after this, we will see in about 3 to 5 years, but LiPo is a step forward. I think if LiPo is legal, the market will tell you, this is something they wanted. And they will purchase it, or they will not, then everyone will have an answer.
Old 09-13-2006, 01:14 PM
Tech Master

This is like Coke vs Pepsi or Ford vs Chevy. As soon as a major manufacturer pushes this type of technology it will go crazy. They are smaller, have more voltage, and more run time. All we need now is to make them cheaper and a little more durable.
Old 09-13-2006, 01:40 PM
Tech Apprentice

I fly airplanes and Helicopters and I am laughing!!!
Go Fast
Old 09-13-2006, 01:48 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gofastrlbrown
I fly airplanes and Helicopters and I am laughing!!!
Go Fast
I do too. I have a dozen LiPo Packs right now...still not sure they are appropriate for R/C cars. Not becuase of safety as I am sure they are fine but because of voltage. We really don't need more power right now.
Old 09-13-2006, 02:06 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by AdrianM
I do too. I have a dozen LiPo Packs right now...still not sure they are appropriate for R/C cars. Not becuase of safety as I am sure they are fine but because of voltage. We really don't need more power right now.
You know, I have to personally incite a riot. Schumacher, the same company that post ads about 73 plus miles per hour. Schumacher, the same company that has a stadium truck that supposedly does over 70+mph? Schumacher, the only company out there now with an 1/8scale electric car that has a 3 SPEED? And then you write we don't need more power? What a hypocrit. Is anyone else seeing what I am seeing? Seems that the people who object the most have something to do with sub c cells or something that will be directly threatened by *ahem nitro* Li-PO packs becoming more mainstream.
Old 09-13-2006, 02:08 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Sometimes I worry that by reading these threads, the stupid might get on me.
Old 09-13-2006, 02:11 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bxpitbull
You know, I have to personally incite a riot. Schumacher, the same company that post ads about 73 plus miles per hour. Schumacher, the same company that has a stadium truck that supposedly does over 70+mph? Schumacher, the only company out there now with an 1/8scale electric car that has a 3 SPEED? And then you write we don't need more power? What a hypocrit. Is anyone else seeing what I am seeing? Seems that the people who object the most have something to do with sub c cells or something that will be directly threatened by *ahem nitro* Li-PO packs becoming more mainstream.
Dude, do you even have a clue why Adrain said that? He's been an advocate for switching to 4-cells for sedans! That's 4.8 volts my friend. There currently is no 4.8v or equalevent LiPo at this time. Research is your friend, learn how to do it.
Old 09-13-2006, 02:15 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by RCGaryK
Dude, do you even have a clue why Adrain said that? He's been an advocate for switching to 4-cells for sedans! That's 4.8 volts my friend. There currently is no 4.8v or equalevent LiPo at this time. Research is your friend, learn how to do it.
That is totally correct! All of these folks looking to slow the cars down going to 4 and 5 cells, That is absolutely right, I have been reading that in the rumor mills.
Old 09-13-2006, 03:22 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by bvoltz
And another thing... Just for the record... I have a Sphere 2 with the 3.3 volt cut off in the speedo, this past weekend I watch my car drop off (with LiPo this happens very fast, you go from full speed to half speed with in 25 feet), I continued to drive my car, I made a full lap, then it stopped.

So only a complete fool, would not notice this speed drop, how much is left in the pack. 6.5 volt, way above the 3.3 volt cut off. So do you need a cut off in our car, nope. It is very noticable.
Not knocking you or anything, but you need to reread what it states about Lipo batteries. It is not 3.3 volts total with X amount of cells aligned in series, it is 3.3 volts PER cell, and you use a 2 cell lipo to match a 6 cell sub-c pack. So your speedo worked correctly when it cut off at 6.5 volts(3.3 X 2 cell = 6.6, close enough). This simple misinterpretation is what will damage these cells and possibly(most likely not but still the chance) cause them to catch fire.
Old 09-13-2006, 10:05 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by T. Thomas
Not knocking you or anything, but you need to reread what it states about Lipo batteries. It is not 3.3 volts total with X amount of cells aligned in series, it is 3.3 volts PER cell, and you use a 2 cell lipo to match a 6 cell sub-c pack. So your speedo worked correctly when it cut off at 6.5 volts(3.3 X 2 cell = 6.6, close enough). This simple misinterpretation is what will damage these cells and possibly(most likely not but still the chance) cause them to catch fire.
Thanks for pointing out my oops... you are correct...

My point, you have be blind to NOT notice the slow down, with out a voltage regulator.....
Old 09-13-2006, 11:40 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by syndr0me
Sometimes I worry that by reading these threads, the stupid might get on me.
Agreed...........
Old 09-14-2006, 12:41 AM
Tech Addict

I dont know about you guys but I find anything battery related dangerous without the right equipment seeing a friend almost had his arm blown up by IB3600 when it was charging. He's alive but he quit rc. Now I look over batts every few minutes.
You cant rely on hobbyshops either, it has to fall on the users buying it.
I play airsoft guns before and can you imagine some people using timer chargers or pulse chargers to charge high capacity nimh? They still sell it today and users still use it. Now they're using lipoly as well.
As far as air guys being more experienced, that's BS. So many new people have bought into the rtf airplane, heli that are equipped with lipoly. Parents that bought it for their kids. I'm sure they read the manual...I hope.
Old 09-14-2006, 08:06 AM
Tech Master

Default Just to beat a dead horse

Last night, running pratice laps and car crashed at top speed like whoa! The breakdown is as follows:

Hara Pro 4 GTB/4.5 FD 9.23
MaxAmps 6000Mah

About 6 or 7 minutes into my run, car coming out of a turn smacked a barrier flush onto the left side. Now for the good part. Broke the rear left C hub, the tape holding the pack in and one solder joint to the motor. So whats the big deal? The car didnt go BOOM like all of you anti-Li-Po people say they do! I was apprehensive about approaching the car and let it sit there for a minute before I slowly approached. Tapping the throttle and turning the wheel, I could see the steering wasn't effected, meaning I still had power. Picked up the car, battery dangled by a tape strand and the rear left wheel was still attached by the tie-rod and universal. Took the car into the house, damage was minimal and the pack registered at 7.7 volts. I thought these cells were so dangerous and volatile??? According to you naysayers, the car should have been a raging inferno. I know had that been sub c's, I would have been re-soldering battery bars. Comments......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.