R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Why (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/129167-why.html)

teammidget lilB 09-12-2006 03:28 PM

Why

Why are evant and tracks willing to accept changes like 3000 to 3300 to 3800 to 4200 so quikly? but not to lipo?

Alex_kipper 09-12-2006 03:31 PM

lipo is a totally diffrent type of battery, nothing is the same interally...

the only diffrence between 3300, 3800, and 4200 is capacity. its basically the same interally(chemically)

TPhalen 09-12-2006 03:37 PM

My guess is that NiCds and NiMh batteries are not as much a hazard as LiPos....and everyone that GOES to the track already has everything they need to charge them. LiPo's are a bit more dangerous...even requiring you to charge them in a flame proof box...ie ammo box.

You have to remember who you're talking about here, too.
• Airplane/Heli guys use LiPos all the time....but most are VERY experienced and tend to not destroy their equipment. If they crash, they crash big.

• Car guys are a little more irresponsible. Jumping their cars into one another, running them up and down the street until the pack dumps (bad on LiPos), leaving the battery on the charger for extended periods of time...leaving the pack plugged in when not in use...etc.

You have to be a bit more responsible to use LiPos...most shops/tracks aren't ready for someone who isn't responsible to burn their place down.

My 2c.

ford_racing 09-12-2006 04:45 PM

also with LIPO's you need to have special charger

AND a special ESC to ensure the voltage doesn't drop below their recommended voltage,

this ESC is IMO the main problem with the introduction of LIPO's at race meetings

Sean R 09-12-2006 04:58 PM

You just need a Low Voltage Cut-off or LVC attached between the reciever and esc. These are relatively inexpensive compared to a "special esc".

bvoltz 09-12-2006 05:17 PM

You guys are soooooo wrong.... They are not any more dangers then your subCs... Just like any battery if handled wrong can become your nightmare. The reason that tracks are a little slow, because of mis informtion like the posts above....

Yes, the IR is better then then subc, also they weight less, so weighing cars is a must to keep them on the same playing field...

Yes, you need a charger that will charge LiPo, but they are more cost effective then subc chargers. They do not need the maintaince subc require.

At the club level, no reason for clubs to allow Orion LiPos. Orion has spent much time testing and developing a case for LiPos for our type of racing.

Look, others have other types of packaging around the LiPo cells, and they are not designed to take what Car/Truck racing gives them...

And if you take it to the step of LiMo you are safer then subc...

Anyone that has used a LiPo in car racing, is all for the change... With races like the KO race that allowed them the change is coming and with developments for our application by companies like Orion, it is a win win....

T. Thomas 09-12-2006 05:50 PM

Both sub-C and lipo batteries are both dangerous. No one is denying that, but a sub-C cell will act like a fire cracker and once it is done popping(yes shrapnel can hit you and cut you) it is done and does not continue to explode. A lipo when it goes of it does NOT pop but it Catches on fire and that does not go out instantly, this is where the extra danger comes from. You can not just put water on a lipo and expect it to go out, all it will do is spead across the top of the water and continue to burn. A sub-C cell is not going to catch the surounding area on fire like a lipo can. Lipo, LiMn, Li-Ion cells are getting better and better at preventing this hazard. Once the general racing community becomes familiar with how to handle and react to one when they do catch fire, then I will see then being more viable in sanctioned racing.

Scrubb 09-12-2006 06:08 PM

Thats like asking, why are some people going against the standard and buying batteries they know are not legal to race before they buy them, then ask why they can't race their illegal batteries?

Lipo's are underweight
Lipo's are the wrong dimension
Lipo's are the wrong capacity
Lipo's are the wrong voltage
Lipo's haven't been submitted for approval

also,

Lipo's are more expensive
Lithium, the stuff inside Lipo's, ignites when exposed to nitrogen (78% of the earths atmosphere).

Whats wrong with buying legal batteries if you want to race?

AdrianM 09-12-2006 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by TPhalen
...Car guys are a little more irresponsible....

That might be the understatement of the year. Even guys that have a dozen cars and have been racing for years can still be clueless.

teammidget lilB 09-12-2006 06:28 PM

lipos would be cheeper buy 2 packs for 2 years $340 for 2 years worth of batteries nimh are more expensive in the long run and alot more

Rick Hohwart 09-12-2006 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by Scrubb
Lipo's are underweight
Lipo's are the wrong dimension
Lipo's are the wrong capacity
Lipo's are the wrong voltage
Lipo's haven't been submitted for approval

Whats wrong with buying legal batteries if you want to race?

There is no weight limit mentioned in the rules.

LiPos taken as a pack are the same dimension (smaller actually) than a NiMH pack.

The rules mention no capacity limits.

They are the wrong voltage. I will give you that.

They can't be submitted as there are no rules for them.

And speaking of rules, which rules are you speaking of. Most club races and many of the larger races (next week's IIC for example) do not follow ROAR battery rules. There is nop reason why these races (like the KO GP), ould not allow LiPos to race against other "illegal" batteries.

In my opinion, batteries are legal, or they are not.

trilerian 09-12-2006 06:55 PM

In my opinion, batteries are legal, or they are not.
Very good statement. I wish the people at the carpet track I race at in the fall and winter would realize that.

trilerian 09-12-2006 06:59 PM

As far as the danger in concerned with any battery. Ignorant people do stupid things, it doesn't matter how fool proof you make something someone will hurt themself.

YR4Dude 09-12-2006 07:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by trilerian
As far as the danger in concerned with any battery. Ignorant people do stupid things, it doesn't matter how fool proof you make something someone will hurt themself.

You mean like this guy?

bvoltz 09-12-2006 07:52 PM

And another thing... Just for the record... I have a Sphere 2 with the 3.3 volt cut off in the speedo, this past weekend I watch my car drop off (with LiPo this happens very fast, you go from full speed to half speed with in 25 feet), I continued to drive my car, I made a full lap, then it stopped.

So only a complete fool, would not notice this speed drop, how much is left in the pack. 6.5 volt, way above the 3.3 volt cut off. So do you need a cut off in our car, nope. It is very noticable.