Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Driving Properly what are the things to work on? >

Driving Properly what are the things to work on?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Driving Properly what are the things to work on?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2006, 02:36 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 59 (100%+)

I don't mean to contradict everything that's been said on this thread, but my good ol buddy kyle skidmore was saying that he was talking to barry baker and barry said that if he ever saw him using dual rates he was going to kick his a$$. Ever since then, skidmore and (using the his info) I have run everything at 1 to 1, the only thing I use in my hardcore waste of $400 (radio) is my end points, haha! It's really hard to get used to especially on carpet but I believe it will make you a better driver faster, but you will be cutting corners a couple feet short when you first start doing this.

But as far as getting to be a better driver, similar to what Schorr was saying, once you get to where you can run a 5 minute heat without hitting anything, try to start following the local fast guy. Luckily Ron Atomic and my buddy Quincy Hughes run at the local carpet track and I get to try to follow their lines and see where they lose their tenths.

When it comes down to it, track time is the only thing that will make you fast.
Old 08-01-2006, 02:55 PM
Tech Regular

dual rates adjust how far your wheels can turn in unison. if your wheels turn the full swing, it wont help with steering, instead it will actually slow you down because the front wheels will scrub off speed instead of turning. so Barry Baker may be wrong or your friend misunderstood him. i was told by Josh Cyrul that you should adjust your dual rate for carpet to where you can just make the tightest turn with full wheel throw on your transmitter.
Old 08-01-2006, 07:02 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Barry may be using a radio that also adjusts expo and end point at the same time. A friend told me the Ko Helios is like this. Expo is usually considered a big no no.
Old 08-01-2006, 07:26 PM
Tech Regular

my Helios adjusts them independently, that is absurd. they are two completely different adjustments. expo adjusts the servo speed expo nentially to the servo position and the position of the sterring wheel on the transmitter. this can make the car less twitchy around center, due to slowing the speed of the servo in that position.

endpoints adjust how far the servo is allowed to rotate to prevent it from hitting the stops on the knuckles to prevent servo strainage and bent linkages. this can be set independently from left to right.

dual rate adjusts servo throw in BOTH directions. this helps to make the turning radius smaller or larger depending on the number inputed.
Old 08-01-2006, 07:59 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Listen to the top drivers that tell you to drive SLOW to go FAST.

Let off the throttle early to drive into the inside apex point of a corner instead of overshooting it by 4-5 feet. That will easily lead to faster laps.

Give yourself time to get better. And have FUN doing it!
Old 08-03-2006, 06:56 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Z.Hallett
dual rates adjust how far your wheels can turn in unison. if your wheels turn the full swing, it wont help with steering, instead it will actually slow you down because the front wheels will scrub off speed instead of turning. so Barry Baker may be wrong or your friend misunderstood him. i was told by Josh Cyrul that you should adjust your dual rate for carpet to where you can just make the tightest turn with full wheel throw on your transmitter.
Ya, Everyone does this. But you find once and a while where guys will have like 90-100 dual rate! Crazy! I usually set my dual rate like 5% higher then what the tightest turn is on teh track, because some times when you get into a jam and you over shoot the corner alittle or whatever, you need to be able turn sharper to get out of it. YOu always see when people spin out or get spun out.

But some times! when you crash/spinout/or get spun out and it leaves you facing something bad! The wall! that extra 5% helps ya, you always see the car going pretty slow to turn around. this 5% helps ya to be able to turn around faster. You know what i mean
Old 08-03-2006, 06:13 PM
Tech Addict

Practice, Practice, Practice, dont pay attention to lap times at first get comfortable first after that then check your lap times for consistancy and dont worry about turning a fast lap!!!!
dont change your cars setup to much at first get some wheeltime so you can actualy see what the car does when you do make changes I have seen guys who blame thier lack of ability on the car not the fact that they just dont have the skills yet and they never improve because they are always wrenching instead of practicing.The ONLY WAY TO GET THESE SKILLS IS TO PRACTICE.
Old 08-03-2006, 06:58 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Do not hack!!!
Old 08-04-2006, 04:19 PM
Tech Addict

I will define hack LOL
1) is a guy that has good control of his car but will not let anyone pass him without roughing them up and is no fun to race with.
2) someone who just wants to as fast as possible and cant controll thier car because of this and hits anything and everybody.............
Old 08-07-2006, 06:28 AM
Tech Champion

Consistancy helps win a race. Theres no point in doing 2 or 3 fast laps then a slow lap,neither can you win a race on the first lap,but you can easily lose it!

I was constantly doing 18.3 second laps yesterday and to me it was a great achievement knowing I could put the car on the track and get the same lap times for 16/17 laps. twice I did slower laps,a 20 and a 22 but I could see even without the mistakes I couldnt gain a qualifying position.

Just focus 110% on where your car is on the track at any given time to start with,the speed issue doesnt matter,deal with that later.

Practice,its the only way you learn how the car works and how you want it to work
Old 08-07-2006, 08:07 AM
Tech Adept

When you do practice get someone with a bit of experience to tell you where you are going wrong because practicing is great but if you are practicing doing something bad that is not good.

Remember practice makes permanent (not perfect)
Old 08-07-2006, 08:08 AM
Tech Rookie

Practice practice practice!
Old 08-07-2006, 11:34 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by PRO 2 RACER
A question for the top level racers out there.

What do you concentrate on when you are driving, and how do you do it? Is it -
Breaking points?
Where do you look when driving?
At your car?
Just in front of it?
Do you look down the track and back at your car?

When you first go to a track do you walk arround it, check other peoples lines? Look at it from different angles?

What would be your tips for middle of the pack drivers to concentrate on, other than don't crash.

I am assuming with this question the car is set up, I just want to know about driving skills and how to improve.

A bit of help for all of us would be appreciated.
Thanks
Braking Points - I run stock so they don't exist

Where do I look - At the front of my car, but 'loosely' enough so I can see the cars in front and behind without thinking about them too much. I never glance at points where my car isn't simply because I will inevitably go off line/miss turn in etc.

When I go to a new track my impatience means the first thing I do is stuff some cells in a let rip, I try to get what seem to be good smooth fast lines around the corners, then I concentrate on the 'troublesome' corners that always seem to require that bit more technique.

After a run I'll then walk around the track (paying particular attention to the 'troublesomes' and chicanes and 'S' bends) to see if they can be straightlined etc.

If there are breaks in the track markings I'll even keep cutting through to repeat the same small section to find a rythmn.

Last of all, put it all together and use a fews race packs to try and gain that consistancy through all the corners every lap.

Nothing helps as much as experience, try lots of other venues etc.

I'm not saying I'm a great driver by a long shot, but last year I was regularly in the bottom 10-15 out of 40 at club level, by now I'm regulary in the A final including some regional events.

Skiddins
Old 08-07-2006, 12:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

The best thing I've ever heard was "slow is fast"
The best thing I've ever tought myself "smooth throttle, roll on, roll off"

just smooth out your whole driving style and you're set!
Old 08-07-2006, 12:50 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Don't forget to BREATH...!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.