Team Orion 3200mAh Race Spec LiPo

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Team Orion 3200mAh Race Spec LiPo

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2006, 07:41 AM
Tech Elite

I'll be using this pack tonight at SoCal. Anyone racing please feel free to stop by my pit and check it out.
Old 08-29-2006, 07:47 AM
Tech Fanatic

Do you know where we can pre order this?
Old 08-29-2006, 07:54 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by SlamMan
Do you know where we can pre order this?
Try here from Stormer Hobbies.

Tower Hobbies has them in their system also. In fact, any hobby shop should be able to order one for you.
Old 08-29-2006, 03:29 PM
Tech Addict

Charging at a higher C-rating will shorten the lifespan of the battery and provide no additional performance, however unlike a Ni-MH you do not need to discharge the pack before charging, you simply do your run and come in and begin charging noe rest time needed.

I charge my packs days in advance and run them then charge them back up at the end of the day and they are ready for the following week.

We recommend charging at 1C because that will keep from shortening the lifespan.

For those that recommend "breaking in" there batteries i can only speak for the Our batteries and they do not require "breaking in".

Yes mid/late Sept. is the current scheduled release date we are shooting for, they are in production as we speak and we are hoping to have them by then. These batteries go through a much stricter QC then any others and because of this it may take slightly longer but by this I mean a week or two not months. So far our Li-Po's have proven to have less then a .01% failure rate amongst thousands of batteries sold over almost a year and we aim to match or improve this with our latest release.
Old 08-29-2006, 10:05 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

That's the best news I've heard all night. Our club announced tonight that LiPo would be allowed in our newly popular brushless/4300 class, so I'm ready for these now more than ever. Plus, I can stick my CTX-D and Cell Master on eBay and try to get like $300 for the pair. Goodbye foul NiMH, may you be charged at 10A unattended until you blow holes in the trailer.

Originally Posted by MrBlack
Charging at a higher C-rating will shorten the lifespan of the battery and provide no additional performance, however unlike a Ni-MH you do not need to discharge the pack before charging, you simply do your run and come in and begin charging noe rest time needed.

I charge my packs days in advance and run them then charge them back up at the end of the day and they are ready for the following week.

We recommend charging at 1C because that will keep from shortening the lifespan.

For those that recommend "breaking in" there batteries i can only speak for the Our batteries and they do not require "breaking in".

Yes mid/late Sept. is the current scheduled release date we are shooting for, they are in production as we speak and we are hoping to have them by then. These batteries go through a much stricter QC then any others and because of this it may take slightly longer but by this I mean a week or two not months. So far our Li-Po's have proven to have less then a .01% failure rate amongst thousands of batteries sold over almost a year and we aim to match or improve this with our latest release.
Old 08-29-2006, 11:28 PM
Tech Addict

Hi guys, what kind of charging time will be expected from this orion avionics charger?
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXMRH8&P=7
Charging nimh over 45 mins is getting tiresome plus the discharging, etc. Got rid of my set of nimh and secondary charger and planning to buy lipo batts and this charger.
Old 08-29-2006, 11:48 PM
Tech Apprentice

if you charge at the suggested 1c, then it'll take pretty much an hour for a full charge, but since you can just peak it anytime, charging won't ever be that long unless youre just bashing around, though i think youre not supposed to run it below 80% anyways, so charges should always take less than an hour.
Old 08-30-2006, 12:32 AM
Tech Regular

how do you suppose i charge a 4 call 7.4v 3300 on a Prolux lipo charger?
Old 08-30-2006, 06:10 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by MrBlack
You can also charge the New 3200 with this:

For those wanting something cheap and simple:
http://www.teamorion-avionics.com/Ad...harging+System

Or for those wanting something a little higher end:
http://www.teamorion-avionics.com/Ad...Flight+Charger

Both have been used extensively during all of our R&D for the 3200 Li-Po.
If you were only charging LiPo batteries does the Orion Avionics Advanced Flight Charger have any advantages over the smaller Orion Avionics Advantage Li-Po Charging System?
Old 08-30-2006, 08:42 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by SlamMan
If you were only charging LiPo batteries does the Orion Avionics Advanced Flight Charger have any advantages over the smaller Orion Avionics Advantage Li-Po Charging System?
Yes. The Advanced Flight Charger has adjustable charge rate capability. The smaller version uses a 1C charge rate (auto detected) up to 3 amps. So a 3200 or 4800 battery will only be able to be charged at the 3 amp rate rather than 1C.

I think the Advanced Flight Charger is better for higher capacity batteries while the other is better for lower capacity flight or micro packs.
Old 09-03-2006, 02:24 AM
Tech Apprentice

what kind of effect does the extra 1p cell have? actually, what difference does having cells in either series or parallel make? like whats the difference between a 2p and a 2s, then whats the difference between a 2s1p and 2s.
Old 09-03-2006, 06:10 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

series add voltage and parrallel added current
Old 09-03-2006, 02:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Hey Rick.....

Wish you had these out before the KO Grand Prix....
Seems bigger races are allowing Lipo's.....the future is here.
I am excited to try Lipo in TC...just have to wait for these packs as nothing fits in the T2 until now...

Please get these out soon...
Thanks,
-Shookie <><
Also, How did the 3200mah pack hold up in Mod...did it last through the whole race???
Old 09-06-2006, 04:01 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart
The fact the technology is so good does lead many to question it. There is a trade-off with brushless motors. What you gain in efficiency and overall power but you lose with a less drivable powerband and different braking characteristics.

There are no trade-offs with the LiPo techology itself. It is simply better. However there are some issues that exist, but are easily overcome.

The first is the basic dimensional requirements of LiPo. Since there are rectangular, they may not fit in some cars. The second is the fact they are lighter. This is good in many ways, but in some cars the chassis may require adjustments.

In off-road car, you may have less weight on the rear wheels which can cause a loose condition. By adding weight, the car will be the same as with NiMH. Cars can also be tuned to work with less weight, but when a driver uses both types of batteries, it is easier to add weight when using LiPo and remove it when using NiMH.

In a touring car with weight on one side (Losi is the exception because the battery is in the middle), the balance change. We weighed the electronics of my car versus a NiMH and the NiMH was abour 3oz heavier. This means the car is heavy on the battery side. But with the LiPo, the battery side is 3oz lighter. The balance is no different. All that changes is which side carries the extra 3 oz.

However to make minimum weight in sanctioned races, you need to be sure to add the weight to the appropriate side depending on the battery type.
Rick and all,

thanks for the detailed answers.

Paul
Old 09-06-2006, 04:06 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Default Multiple charges per day?

Q to knowledgeable users

Can this be recharged the same day? Or are there "rest" periods between charges/discharges? Given the initial investment (thinking about 4800's here) I'm kind of trying to avoid buying five $200 packs at once

Thanks for your help,
Cheers,
Paul

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.