R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Timing (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/1152-timing.html)

Aurra Sing 10-27-2001 06:27 PM

Timing

I was told to buy a 9x3, so i did. I guess they didn't know I only had Nuclear Power 2400's.. so they dumped at 4:00 minutes exactly. I asked a good helpful person how to change my timing for more run time before the mains, and that made my run time 4:30 in the mains (would have finished second, but they passed me on the last laps before the packs dumped.. finished 3rd. in Expert Mod)

Is it okay to change my timing all the way down to the dimple or below? Or will i experience excessive comm wear, short motor life, etc. I will eventually buy a 11t or 12t soon (don't want to buy new batteries) but i want to use this in the mean time.

Manticore 10-27-2001 06:32 PM

Re: Timing

Originally posted by Aurra Sing
I was told to buy a 9x3, so i did. I guess they didn't know I only had Nuclear Power 2400's.. so they dumped at 4:00 minutes exactly. I asked a good helpful person how to change my timing for more run time before the mains, and that made my run time 4:30 in the mains (would have finished second, but they passed me on the last laps before the packs dumped.. finished 3rd. in Expert Mod)

Is it okay to change my timing all the way down to the dimple or below? Or will i experience excessive comm wear, short motor life, etc. I will eventually buy a 11t or 12t soon (don't want to buy new batteries) but i want to use this in the mean time.

you better buy a higher turn motor rather then twist it on the timing as this wont help much on run time.

marvi 10-27-2001 08:16 PM

you can put the timing back to zero. just dont dial it to negative timing. i think negative timing will wear down the comm and brushes much faster.

Manticore 10-27-2001 08:20 PM

Originally posted by marvi
you can put the timing back to zero. just dont dial it to negative timing. i think negative timing will wear down the comm and brushes much faster.
negative timing is for running the motor in reverse direction of rotation!

marvi 10-27-2001 08:35 PM

yup. for rc's that use reverse rotation (ie. the rear motor of a clodbuster), you can use negative timing. but youll also have to reverse the polarity of the motor to make it move forward. you can either switch the + and - wires or turn the endbell 180 degrees.

Rog 10-27-2001 10:21 PM

What gearing are you running? Try to run a smaller pinion. Start with at least 2 teeth smaller. THis should buy you some time. If you're running on a large flowing track, you're probably gonna have to get a motor with more winds. I run 2400s with my Reedy Ti 11x2 on a med-sized, fairly technical track and can get at least 6 or 7 minutes.

Aurra Sing 10-28-2001 05:48 AM

I use 128/30 on my TA04R. I plan to get an 11x2 or 11x3 soon, but I want to change the timing just for now.