Wiki Posts
Search

car not responding on acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2006, 04:31 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default car not responding on acceleration

was drifting as usual this noon, but suddenly when i push the triggle just a little bit, the car is not running, but u can hear the ESC beeping, then when u nail the triggle, it runs again. after few mins, it doesnt want to move anymore. i suspect that the motor brush might be worn out, but still not enough time to check it out. so any comments on this pls? dun tell me i fried my ESC again.
Old 05-13-2006, 05:18 AM
Tech Apprentice

I know some esc's have a cut off when they get too hot, and then when cooled a bit they work again. I had this happen to me and this is what I was told. The esc I used was a cheaper one and I think I pushed it too hard.

HTH

Darren
Old 05-13-2006, 05:48 AM
Tech Fanatic

it can't be coz i have fried my cheaper Futaba ESC as well. m using Novak GTS now, and since the day i use it, there isn't any cut yet. do u think it might be due to the motor brushess?
Old 05-13-2006, 07:52 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by uniquexme
m using Novak GTS now
Sorry did'nt realise what ESC you are using.
As you said its probably the brushes then. The brush could be broken? I suggest you take the motor apart and have a look and try putting new brushes in.

Darren
Old 05-13-2006, 09:04 AM
Tech Regular

kick it, that works for me
Old 05-13-2006, 08:09 PM
Tech Adept

Have a motor overhaul, clean everything, check motor brushes, they might be worn out, and also the brush springs, they might have lost tension. Be careful when you put them back. Be aware of the timing. Put a drop of oil on the motor bearings/bushings.
Old 05-13-2006, 08:16 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

You probably have a hung brush. Pull on the shunts and let the brush snap back in to place. Kind of rigging it but it should make it work. Spray it out with motor cleaner or break cleaner and re lube. But the best thing to do would be to rebuild it like macgyver said.
Old 05-14-2006, 05:11 AM
Tech Fanatic

m using tamiya Super stock motor TZ (23T). Opened it up just now, was surprised to find many dust and some other rusty small metal pieces inside the motor. well, cleaned everything up, lubricated the bearings, problem still the same. so i checked on the brushes, wierd that one side is shorter than another, the shorter one is about 20mm in lenght. i guess it must be due to this worn out brushess. coz the motor will run a few times, then it stop, and when u give it a slight push, it will move again, so i think shall get my brushess replaced. btw, do i have to buy from LHS or can get those equivalent carbon brushess (black color) from electronic shops or do i have to buy back the Tamiya original brushess(gold color). TQ
Old 05-14-2006, 11:12 AM
Ike
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I just want to know what a triggle is...
Old 05-15-2006, 04:22 AM
Tech Fanatic

just DIY the cheap carbon brush to be fitted inside the motor slot. However, it doesnt want to move, then later after few pushes, it starts to run like snail. so i guess carbon brush is not suitable for our motor, have to buy back the Tamiya gold plated brush. From wat i ask the shop owner, he told me that gold plated ones like tamiya is the hardest and most lasting brush, and those that he sell me is normal type. He even ask wah, such a good brush must have lasted u 1-2 yrs, but i said, no lah, just 1 month. he laughed at me saying i will be visiting his shop more often, but since it cannot use, i will not go back to him.
Old 05-15-2006, 06:03 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

How long have you had this motor and how many runs are on it? If you have been running it non stop since you got it the comm probably needs cut and that it probably another reason it does not run right. I would suspect who ever cuts it for you will be doing many passes on it to get it back to spec,
Old 05-15-2006, 05:28 PM
Tech Fanatic

had this car for only 1 mth+, but have been running it everyday with 2-3 battery packs almost every weekend. btw, may i ask what is the comm? the motor has been in its state since i bought it, so only now then i opened it up to check.

here is another question :

upon opening up the motor, the top part of the motor came off (where the brushess are), so i got mixed up with it, there are 2 washers, and 1 orange color plastic pc, and a copper bushing at the very top part of it. so do i place them in this order? copper bushing -> 2pcs of washer -> orange color plastic -> motor -> (bottom part) 2pcs washer -> copper bushing
Old 05-15-2006, 07:35 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by uniquexme
had this car for only 1 mth+, but have been running it everyday with 2-3 battery packs almost every weekend. btw, may i ask what is the comm? the motor has been in its state since i bought it, so only now then i opened it up to check.

here is another question :

upon opening up the motor, the top part of the motor came off (where the brushess are), so i got mixed up with it, there are 2 washers, and 1 orange color plastic pc, and a copper bushing at the very top part of it. so do i place them in this order? copper bushing -> 2pcs of washer -> orange color plastic -> motor -> (bottom part) 2pcs washer -> copper bushing
I am thinking at this point you should just buy another motor. Sounds like you got more issues then just needing a cut. Are you just into this drifting thing or do you have friends that race? If you have race friends ask them to take care of your motor and show you how to as well. The Comm is the copper part the brushes ride against. If it has been run that much in a month it needs cut and new brushes, but the bushing should not have falling out when you took it apart.
Old 05-15-2006, 08:31 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

the comm is the brass paret that the brushes run on. check it and see how deep the grove is from the brushes, (there will be one) if u think that theres enough material left to make it smooth again then have someone with a comm lathe to cut the com, then put some new brushes in and re oil. if there isnt enough material then go buy either another armeture, (the part that spins inside the motor) or buy a complete new motor. i saw that you said that one brush it longer than another? check the springs that hold the brushes in. see what colors they are and stick to one color for both sides.

this should help, and clear things up for you
Old 05-15-2006, 08:36 PM
Tech Adept

Smack it with an f'n hammer.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.