Wiki Posts
Search

Locking Rear Differential for Yokomo Drift Car

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2006, 04:48 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default Locking Rear Differential for Yokomo Drift Car

m thinking of cleaning up my car, and at the same time would also like to try to lock the rear differential. But i found that its not easy to get the differential out. so just to make sure i m doing the rite thing, heres wat i have removed but yet to get it out :

- rear absorber
- 4 screws under the chasis
- rear dogbone
- cone cup and the silver pin

do we have to remove the motor mount? coz until now the rear differential seems still very tight. BTW, can anyone teach me how to lock the differential? i heard that we have to stick something to the diff, so that it will say locked, else it will get loose, and have to redo all over again. can i ask wats the main reason for locking diff? TQ
Old 04-29-2006, 05:08 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

If its an SD car, you just remove two screws on the back of the gearbox housing , the cover comes off and the diff comes out.

To tighten the diff, just crank down the diff adjusting screw, becareful it doesnt snap. you dont need to take the diff out to do that, though...
Old 04-30-2006, 02:52 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

was cleaning up my car just now, and tried to tighten the rear diff for the 1st time. Comparing the instruction manual on how rear diff should be assembled and against the stock diff, the stock diff has its spring placed at the bottom with thrust bearings and washer on top. So i followed the manual to reassembled my diff. as for the front diff, m lazy to open up, so i guess it shd be the same. btw, i lost one of the thrust bearings of the rear diff. haha. still no chance to test out wats the diffence after tighten the rear diff.
Old 04-30-2006, 04:10 AM
Tech Regular

it will be harder to turn, (with useing grip tires) but ur drifting, so thats what u want, you should find it easyer to drift

and check out "the offical drift thread"