Wiki Posts
Search

Brushless or Brushed?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2006, 05:12 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Arrow Brushless or Brushed?

I am looking at getting into the modefied class, and I was wondering which is better: brushed or brushless?
The thing with brushed is you can rebuild your motors whenever you want, but you have to mess with gearing a lot.
But, with a brushless, you don't have do rebuild the motor frequntly?
Also, which one is faster?
Old 04-19-2006, 06:26 PM
Tech Regular

I don't know much about brushed. i do have a brushless NOVAK GTB5.5 it's fast as a 8T or 9T brushed. mine is new my budy has over 100 battery packs no need to rebuild motor. Go brushless you will love it!!!!!!!!
Old 04-19-2006, 07:04 PM
Tech Rookie

Go brushless, you will love it. Maintainance free
Old 04-19-2006, 07:06 PM
Tech Addict

mcrc, definitely go with brushless. You'll have longer runtimes, more consistant power throughout the run and virtually no maintenance. While everybody else is cutting comms and breaking in brushes between heats, you'll be trying to better your score on tetris on your cellphone...

Tony
Old 04-19-2006, 10:18 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Yeah brushless is the way to go in mod. Now the 4.5 is out, there will be no need to run a brushed motor.
Old 04-19-2006, 10:42 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Whoa, it's unanimous. Brushed motors are poop. :-)
Old 04-20-2006, 07:32 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

I too am on the fence on this however I've been told:

BL system

Pros:
Zero maintenance
More efficient

Cons:
Prone to go poof
Lost of tune-ability
Equivalent to a 9 or 8 t motor however a with the tune-ability you can make a brushed motor spin faster

Brushed

Pros:
Tune-ability can make a 9t spin like a 8t
More torque or better power band

Cons:
Maintenance
Comm life

Hope I didn't miss anything out
Old 04-20-2006, 07:40 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

In mod, it's hard to argue against the benefits of brushless.

Personally, I'm a little soured on brushless as I've had/seen problems with both of the major sensored systems out there.

All I know is that if I were a factory driver running brushless at a race event, I'd darn sure have a backup system.

Stability (read: smoke and fire) aside, the "no maintenance" really is nice. Solder the beotch up once, and it's ready until it explodes. Which it just might do...

In all fairness, I've heard that LRP has worked the kinks out. I've seen quite a few GTBs smoke up on high end batteries though... not sure if that's been corrected.
Old 04-20-2006, 09:11 AM
Tech Legend

I`v been runing my Sphere & Neo sence it became available ...

Don`t have to tune , just to get the same speed the run before or get use to losing that tune up after a couple run`s (brush)

Don`t have to buy $12 XXX brush`s each race day (brush)

The Sphere & Neo is very reliable , I`v seen many of my fellow racer`s toast a brush motor with flames & smoke ... Happen all the time ....

Still has never happen with My Neo....
Old 04-20-2006, 09:39 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Good discussion and good replies by all, but has anyone noticed the different feel the brushless motors have vs the brushed. It is hard to describe, but the brushless motors feel more mechanical, where as the brushed motor feels more flexible and natural in it delivery of power and braking. I may not have enough time with my system, or maybe need to adjust my ESC. I currently have a Novak GTB / 5.5. If anyone has expirenced the same I would be interested to hear your comments, or if someone can give me setup suggestions to help my brushless feel more like my brushed motor, I would appreciate that too.
Old 04-20-2006, 10:07 AM
Tech Legend

brushless thottle is very linear in feel ...
Its way more betta cus you don`t have to adjust your stlye to the tune of your motor each run ..

same thottle feel run after run , which helps you alot..

Try getting that from a brush motor....

Not happening ... They change run to run , each time you cut the com , they change , each time you install new brush`s they change ,ect....

After a while you really begin to appreciate the brushless system so much, you will never go back ....
Old 04-20-2006, 11:08 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

The latest brushless systems, reliability aside, have the "brushed feel" down to the letter. The only thing to keep in mind is weight balance. Brushless components have VERY different weight and balance characteristics than brushed setups, which can be tricky since cars were developed with brushed systems in mind.

But strictly from a feel standpoint, they're great.
Old 04-20-2006, 02:48 PM
Tech Adept

As it was shown in this forum few thread back, LRP BL system is about 28-30 grams heavier than brushless sys wih QC2.

Besides that, i have to add around 50-60 grams when using brushed sys. It definitely is not so essential matter to do not go with brushed system
Old 04-20-2006, 11:18 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

One of the cons of brushless mention before is that they are equal to 8 to 9 turn isn't right. The 4.5 is at least equal to a 7 turn. The mod field in the last bigish meet I went had 7 out of 10 people in the A running brushless (mostly 4.5's), the brushless motor were actually the quickest motors down the straight. So the speed of brushless is not really a con.
Drew.
Old 04-21-2006, 12:16 AM
Tech Regular

between Brushless which one more powerful of these two,
any comparison between LMT5300+U-Force 75 and LRP BL?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.