Wiki Posts
Search

Power Inverter question

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2006, 02:32 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 108 (100%+)
Default Power Inverter question

I am thinking of using a good sized power inverter to run a couple chargers and an iron this summer at a parking lot track.I plan on using my car battery to powe it. I need to know how big of an inverter I need to run 2 chargers @6 amps and an 40watt iron.

I already know the amps x voltage = wattage formula, but others have said they have run a charger and an iron on a 300 watt inverter?
Old 04-23-2006, 03:35 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Do your chargers have DC inputs? If they do, forget the inverter. Just hook the chargers up to your car battery. Why bother converting DC (car battery) to AC (inverter) back to DC (power supply to run chargers)? I've seen people do it though....just plain silly.

As for the soldering iron, get a butane powered one from Radio Shack. It works good enough for motor changes, but if you hard wire your batteries, it would get old quick because they take a while to warm up, and you can't just leave it on because you'd go through butane. Then again, a refill bottle is only a buck or so.

An inverter for a good soldering iron would be OK.
Old 04-23-2006, 03:37 PM
Tech Champion

Well, my thought is convenience and a cleaner currnet through my power supply. And I really don't want my GFX and other high end equipt. sitting in my grubby engine bay.

I've used the butane irons...I'll pass.
Old 04-23-2006, 03:40 PM
Tech Champion

My other alternative is to get a generator, which I've used in the past. I'd rather buy a $60 inverter though over a $400 generator.
Old 04-23-2006, 03:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CIVIC91
I am thinking of using a good sized power inverter to run a couple chargers and an iron this summer at a parking lot track.I plan on using my car battery to powe it. I need to know how big of an inverter I need to run 2 chargers @6 amps and an 40watt iron.

I already know the amps x voltage = wattage formula, but others have said they have run a charger and an iron on a 300 watt inverter?
I ran my 40 watt soldering iron and 30 amp power supply off a 300 watt cheap Jensen one already and 2 chargers. It worked.
Old 04-23-2006, 04:01 PM
Tech Champion

See, that is what makes me wonder. According to manufactuers specs, you need to have enough wattage and amps to power all that. And they say this is the way to figure it out...amps x voltage = wattage, so 6 amps x 110 voltage is 660 watts x 2 chargers is 1220 watts + the iron. So according to them you would need at least a 1300 watt inverter. But a couple of other racers are now saying they had a 300 watt inverter and had no problems with all their equiptment.
Old 04-23-2006, 06:20 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

A 12 volt car battery is the best power supply you can have. As long as it's in good shape of course. It has perfect DC. Where do you think the DC electrical standard came from? A battery. The common power supply has plenty of ripple, it's not perfect DC unless you have a "lab grade" supply.

The AC waveform coming out of the common inverter is a sawtooth instead of the proper sine wave like the 120 VAC wall outlet in a house. Will your power supply accept this waveform? I don't know. It might take it without problems, it might not.

Make an extension cord for the car battery. That way you can keep the hood closed and hide the grubs.

I personally love going to a race and not depending on any 120 VAC devices. I have a 3/4 ton diesel truck (has 2 huge 12v batteries), and it has a 12 volt power tap in the trailer plug in the back bumper. I made an adapter/extension cord to power the chargers and fans. And my butane soldering iron changed 2 motors over the weekend, no problems. It's not nearly as good as a 40 watt Weller that's constantly on, but it works well enough to change motors. It would suck for hardwiring batteries every heat, no question.

If you use a 300 watt inverter off of a cigarette lighter plug, and use it to the fullest capacity, be sure to have plenty of fuses on hand.....
Old 04-23-2006, 10:32 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by CIVIC91
Well, my thought is convenience and a cleaner currnet through my power supply. And I really don't want my GFX and other high end equipt. sitting in my grubby engine bay.

I've used the butane irons...I'll pass.
Me and my buddy used to run an inverter that was rated 400 watts/600 peak.
we ran two novak millenium's,
one 85 watt ungar soldering iron
two sets of tire warmers
and a lap top with a computer style speaker system with sub woofer.

At first, we had used one 12 volt "deep cycle gell cell" battery. but we soon learned that towards the end of the race the battery was wearing down. this became obvious becuse the soldering iron became considerably lower in temperature. the solution was to run two deep cycle gell cell batteries in parallel. Although, if you only need power for one person then one "deep cycle" battery is plenty. furthermore, depending on the parking situation at the race i'd keep the 12 volt batteries under the pit table or in the trunk of my car and run an extension cord to my pit area.
Old 04-23-2006, 10:47 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Manning
A 12 volt car battery is the best power supply you can have. As long as it's in good shape of course. It has perfect DC. Where do you think the DC electrical standard came from? A battery. The common power supply has plenty of ripple, it's not perfect DC unless you have a "lab grade" supply.

The AC waveform coming out of the common inverter is a sawtooth instead of the proper sine wave like the 120 VAC wall outlet in a house. Will your power supply accept this waveform? I don't know. It might take it without problems, it might not.

Make an extension cord for the car battery. That way you can keep the hood closed and hide the grubs.

I personally love going to a race and not depending on any 120 VAC devices. I have a 3/4 ton diesel truck (has 2 huge 12v batteries), and it has a 12 volt power tap in the trailer plug in the back bumper. I made an adapter/extension cord to power the chargers and fans. And my butane soldering iron changed 2 motors over the weekend, no problems. It's not nearly as good as a 40 watt Weller that's constantly on, but it works well enough to change motors. It would suck for hardwiring batteries every heat, no question.

If you use a 300 watt inverter off of a cigarette lighter plug, and use it to the fullest capacity, be sure to have plenty of fuses on hand.....
I also agree with Manning about running you chargers direct and bypassing the AC to DC power supply.
First, the power is cleaner.
Second, its more efficient
And ultimately your 12 volt battery will have more power at the end of the day to sufficiently charge that critical A-Main battery!
Goodluck
Old 04-24-2006, 01:09 AM
Tech Regular

I frequently use inverters on yachts and have found that unless you use high quality pure sine wave inverters you are asking for trouble, our laptop would keep shutting down or switching to the battery because it wouldn't accept a modified sine wave inverter so after trying about 6 different inverters we spent $1200 AUS on a good one. A decent PS will put out clean enough power straight off the mains. Why bother with the extra step, i'd either get a PS or a spare car battery.