R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-23-2006, 03:32 PM   #1
Tech Champion
 
Core Creations's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Back in the booth
Posts: 5,743
Trader Rating: 95 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Core Creations
Default Power Inverter question

I am thinking of using a good sized power inverter to run a couple chargers and an iron this summer at a parking lot track.I plan on using my car battery to powe it. I need to know how big of an inverter I need to run 2 chargers @6 amps and an 40watt iron.

I already know the amps x voltage = wattage formula, but others have said they have run a charger and an iron on a 300 watt inverter?
__________________
Core Creations paint thread

Mini Mafia Kansas Chapter - where the monster minis grow!
Core Creations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 04:35 PM   #2
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: NW Arkansas
Posts: 403
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Do your chargers have DC inputs? If they do, forget the inverter. Just hook the chargers up to your car battery. Why bother converting DC (car battery) to AC (inverter) back to DC (power supply to run chargers)? I've seen people do it though....just plain silly.

As for the soldering iron, get a butane powered one from Radio Shack. It works good enough for motor changes, but if you hard wire your batteries, it would get old quick because they take a while to warm up, and you can't just leave it on because you'd go through butane. Then again, a refill bottle is only a buck or so.

An inverter for a good soldering iron would be OK.
Manning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 04:37 PM   #3
Tech Champion
 
Core Creations's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Back in the booth
Posts: 5,743
Trader Rating: 95 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Core Creations
Default

Well, my thought is convenience and a cleaner currnet through my power supply. And I really don't want my GFX and other high end equipt. sitting in my grubby engine bay.

I've used the butane irons...I'll pass.
__________________
Core Creations paint thread

Mini Mafia Kansas Chapter - where the monster minis grow!
Core Creations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 04:40 PM   #4
Tech Champion
 
Core Creations's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Back in the booth
Posts: 5,743
Trader Rating: 95 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Core Creations
Default

My other alternative is to get a generator, which I've used in the past. I'd rather buy a $60 inverter though over a $400 generator.
__________________
Core Creations paint thread

Mini Mafia Kansas Chapter - where the monster minis grow!
Core Creations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 04:45 PM   #5
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Green Bay,WI
Posts: 3,006
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to R/C Anonymous
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CIVIC91
I am thinking of using a good sized power inverter to run a couple chargers and an iron this summer at a parking lot track.I plan on using my car battery to powe it. I need to know how big of an inverter I need to run 2 chargers @6 amps and an 40watt iron.

I already know the amps x voltage = wattage formula, but others have said they have run a charger and an iron on a 300 watt inverter?
I ran my 40 watt soldering iron and 30 amp power supply off a 300 watt cheap Jensen one already and 2 chargers. It worked.
__________________
Geoff C.
R/C Anonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 05:01 PM   #6
Tech Champion
 
Core Creations's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Back in the booth
Posts: 5,743
Trader Rating: 95 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Core Creations
Default

See, that is what makes me wonder. According to manufactuers specs, you need to have enough wattage and amps to power all that. And they say this is the way to figure it out...amps x voltage = wattage, so 6 amps x 110 voltage is 660 watts x 2 chargers is 1220 watts + the iron. So according to them you would need at least a 1300 watt inverter. But a couple of other racers are now saying they had a 300 watt inverter and had no problems with all their equiptment.
__________________
Core Creations paint thread

Mini Mafia Kansas Chapter - where the monster minis grow!
Core Creations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 07:20 PM   #7
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: NW Arkansas
Posts: 403
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

A 12 volt car battery is the best power supply you can have. As long as it's in good shape of course. It has perfect DC. Where do you think the DC electrical standard came from? A battery. The common power supply has plenty of ripple, it's not perfect DC unless you have a "lab grade" supply.

The AC waveform coming out of the common inverter is a sawtooth instead of the proper sine wave like the 120 VAC wall outlet in a house. Will your power supply accept this waveform? I don't know. It might take it without problems, it might not.

Make an extension cord for the car battery. That way you can keep the hood closed and hide the grubs.

I personally love going to a race and not depending on any 120 VAC devices. I have a 3/4 ton diesel truck (has 2 huge 12v batteries), and it has a 12 volt power tap in the trailer plug in the back bumper. I made an adapter/extension cord to power the chargers and fans. And my butane soldering iron changed 2 motors over the weekend, no problems. It's not nearly as good as a 40 watt Weller that's constantly on, but it works well enough to change motors. It would suck for hardwiring batteries every heat, no question.

If you use a 300 watt inverter off of a cigarette lighter plug, and use it to the fullest capacity, be sure to have plenty of fuses on hand.....
Manning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 11:32 PM   #8
Tech Fanatic
 
CHRIS CHAVEZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Weekend Warrior
Posts: 962
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CIVIC91
Well, my thought is convenience and a cleaner currnet through my power supply. And I really don't want my GFX and other high end equipt. sitting in my grubby engine bay.

I've used the butane irons...I'll pass.
Me and my buddy used to run an inverter that was rated 400 watts/600 peak.
we ran two novak millenium's,
one 85 watt ungar soldering iron
two sets of tire warmers
and a lap top with a computer style speaker system with sub woofer.

At first, we had used one 12 volt "deep cycle gell cell" battery. but we soon learned that towards the end of the race the battery was wearing down. this became obvious becuse the soldering iron became considerably lower in temperature. the solution was to run two deep cycle gell cell batteries in parallel. Although, if you only need power for one person then one "deep cycle" battery is plenty. furthermore, depending on the parking situation at the race i'd keep the 12 volt batteries under the pit table or in the trunk of my car and run an extension cord to my pit area.
__________________
"Dirt is for growing Potatoes"
TQ RC Racing
CHRIS CHAVEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 11:47 PM   #9
Tech Fanatic
 
CHRIS CHAVEZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Weekend Warrior
Posts: 962
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manning
A 12 volt car battery is the best power supply you can have. As long as it's in good shape of course. It has perfect DC. Where do you think the DC electrical standard came from? A battery. The common power supply has plenty of ripple, it's not perfect DC unless you have a "lab grade" supply.

The AC waveform coming out of the common inverter is a sawtooth instead of the proper sine wave like the 120 VAC wall outlet in a house. Will your power supply accept this waveform? I don't know. It might take it without problems, it might not.

Make an extension cord for the car battery. That way you can keep the hood closed and hide the grubs.

I personally love going to a race and not depending on any 120 VAC devices. I have a 3/4 ton diesel truck (has 2 huge 12v batteries), and it has a 12 volt power tap in the trailer plug in the back bumper. I made an adapter/extension cord to power the chargers and fans. And my butane soldering iron changed 2 motors over the weekend, no problems. It's not nearly as good as a 40 watt Weller that's constantly on, but it works well enough to change motors. It would suck for hardwiring batteries every heat, no question.

If you use a 300 watt inverter off of a cigarette lighter plug, and use it to the fullest capacity, be sure to have plenty of fuses on hand.....
I also agree with Manning about running you chargers direct and bypassing the AC to DC power supply.
First, the power is cleaner.
Second, its more efficient
And ultimately your 12 volt battery will have more power at the end of the day to sufficiently charge that critical A-Main battery!
Goodluck
__________________
"Dirt is for growing Potatoes"
TQ RC Racing
CHRIS CHAVEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 02:09 AM   #10
Tech Regular
 
pyrosian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Jets Sports Club, Tempe
Posts: 356
Default

I frequently use inverters on yachts and have found that unless you use high quality pure sine wave inverters you are asking for trouble, our laptop would keep shutting down or switching to the battery because it wouldn't accept a modified sine wave inverter so after trying about 6 different inverters we spent $1200 AUS on a good one. A decent PS will put out clean enough power straight off the mains. Why bother with the extra step, i'd either get a PS or a spare car battery.
pyrosian is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
NEW in case 1500watt Power Inverter rcfoolz R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 3 12-08-2008 07:10 AM
GTB power cap question Perry Radio and Electronics 0 05-02-2008 12:24 AM
Power Inverter??? Darkseid Chat Lounge 4 04-24-2006 10:08 PM
Generator vs. Inverter ?? Evoracer Electric On-Road 10 08-20-2004 06:49 PM
battery charging via an inverter slicks Electric Off-Road 4 06-25-2004 11:44 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 05:16 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net