• 1 Post By Mr P!nk
  • 1 Post By mrreet2001

HPI PRO 3 Front Upright question

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2022, 02:39 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default HPI PRO 3 Front Upright question

I am rebuilding a Pro 3 to similar specs as to what I use to run. But I just noticed there is two types of front uprights with the only one I can find listed in manuals and internet searches being HPI A402, which was not what I ran.
As per the pics below, the one that I ran and it would have come in the kit, the arm screws in vertically, from the top, as per the first two pics, while the last pic, the arm screws in horizontally, from the side, which in HPI A402.

Any views on part numbers for the uprights that mounts with the screw/arm from the top.

thanks
Old 02-05-2022, 08:58 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I can break down the hubs for just about every HPI on-road out there. The Pro 3 really is the one oddball in HPI's entire lineup, at least early on it was. Most of the first and second generation HPI cars had tons of commonality between them, the Pro 3 is when all commonality was pretty much gone.

A330 - Is the original RS4 car, but it has a unique hub style, in fact it doesn't really use C-hubs at all.
A460 - RS4 Pro, RS4 Sport, Mini RS4, RS4 MT, RS4 MT Racer, Nitro RS4, Nitro RS4 Racer, Nitro Mini RS4, and RS4 Rally. None of which have the C-hub that screws in from the top.
A461 - RS4 Pro 2, RS4 Sport 2, Nitro RS4 2, Nitro RS4 Racer 2, Super RS4, Super Nitro RS4, Super Nitro Rally RS4. Again, none of which screw in from the top.
A402 - Pro 3. Also does not screw in from the top.
85038 - Nitro RS4 3. Does not screw in from the top.
85076 - Nitro MT2. I know this isn't technically an on-road car, but it does share a lot of commonality with the nitro 3, however it doesn't screw in from the top either.
85092 - Sprint 2. This DOES screw in from the top and is honestly the only potential candidate that I found. Does it fit the Pro 3, I have no clue, you'll have to do some more research.
73483 - R40. This uses a pivot ball style upright so it won't work for you.
73516, 17, 18, and 19 - Pro 4. The Pro 4 hubs do screw in from the top but they don't look like your picture, I suppose you could try them but I have my doubts they will fit.
73517, 18 - Pro 4 Hara edition. Same as above.

The interesting thing in all of this is I know there was a Pro 3 Hara edition, however I can't find a manual for that car at all in any of my searches. Just seems odd that every other manual is available but yet that one in particular isn't. Honestly if I were you I might try starting there. See if you can track down a Pro 3 Hara edition manual, Usually the Hara editions had slight tweaks to parts based on his input. It seems kind of unlikely that they would do entirely new C-hubs just for that one car, but who knows. After that maybe try looking into the Sprint 2 hubs. If neither of those paths seems likely, then it might be safe to say those aren't actually HPI hubs you are running.
Lonestar, jsr555 and mr.rev like this.
Old 02-05-2022, 10:30 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by jsr555
I am rebuilding a Pro 3 to similar specs as to what I use to run. But I just noticed there is two types of front uprights with the only one I can find listed in manuals and internet searches being HPI A402, which was not what I ran.
As per the pics below, the one that I ran and it would have come in the kit, the arm screws in vertically, from the top, as per the first two pics, while the last pic, the arm screws in horizontally, from the side, which in HPI A402.

Any views on part numbers for the uprights that mounts with the screw/arm from the top.

thanks
Probably one of the the optional hubs, A364 or A365. I remember running that design at the time.

There is a Pro3 thread somewhere on the board that has loads of info about the car.
Rick Vessell and jsr555 like this.
Old 02-07-2022, 02:38 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Mr P!nk
I can break down the hubs for just about every HPI on-road out there. The Pro 3 really is the one oddball in HPI's entire lineup, at least early on it was. Most of the first and second generation HPI cars had tons of commonality between them, the Pro 3 is when all commonality was pretty much gone.

A330 - Is the original RS4 car, but it has a unique hub style, in fact it doesn't really use C-hubs at all.
A460 - RS4 Pro, RS4 Sport, Mini RS4, RS4 MT, RS4 MT Racer, Nitro RS4, Nitro RS4 Racer, Nitro Mini RS4, and RS4 Rally. None of which have the C-hub that screws in from the top.
A461 - RS4 Pro 2, RS4 Sport 2, Nitro RS4 2, Nitro RS4 Racer 2, Super RS4, Super Nitro RS4, Super Nitro Rally RS4. Again, none of which screw in from the top.
A402 - Pro 3. Also does not screw in from the top.
85038 - Nitro RS4 3. Does not screw in from the top.
85076 - Nitro MT2. I know this isn't technically an on-road car, but it does share a lot of commonality with the nitro 3, however it doesn't screw in from the top either.
85092 - Sprint 2. This DOES screw in from the top and is honestly the only potential candidate that I found. Does it fit the Pro 3, I have no clue, you'll have to do some more research.
73483 - R40. This uses a pivot ball style upright so it won't work for you.
73516, 17, 18, and 19 - Pro 4. The Pro 4 hubs do screw in from the top but they don't look like your picture, I suppose you could try them but I have my doubts they will fit.
73517, 18 - Pro 4 Hara edition. Same as above.

The interesting thing in all of this is I know there was a Pro 3 Hara edition, however I can't find a manual for that car at all in any of my searches. Just seems odd that every other manual is available but yet that one in particular isn't. Honestly if I were you I might try starting there. See if you can track down a Pro 3 Hara edition manual, Usually the Hara editions had slight tweaks to parts based on his input. It seems kind of unlikely that they would do entirely new C-hubs just for that one car, but who knows. After that maybe try looking into the Sprint 2 hubs. If neither of those paths seems likely, then it might be safe to say those aren't actually HPI hubs you are running.
Thanks. Very useful information, but like you I can not find a Pro 3 Hara manual. But I think sosidge below is on to something.

From memory the Hara Edition was not out for long before the Pro 4 came out so I do not think it was too popular, besides, by the time it was released most of us had created our own versions.

Thanks for your time.
Old 02-07-2022, 02:40 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by sosidge
Probably one of the the optional hubs, A364 or A365. I remember running that design at the time.

There is a Pro3 thread somewhere on the board that has loads of info about the car.
Thanks. I think you nailed it.
Old 02-07-2022, 12:18 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jsr555
Thanks. Very useful information, but like you I can not find a Pro 3 Hara manual. But I think sosidge below is on to something.

From memory the Hara Edition was not out for long before the Pro 4 came out so I do not think it was too popular, besides, by the time it was released most of us had created our own versions.

Thanks for your time.
Yeah, he is right, either the A364 or A365 is the correct part number. I'm still stumped as to why those don't show up in the Pro 3 manual as option parts though. Maybe they were added to the Hara edition as an optional part. Either way, it looks like you at least have your part numbers now, eBay will be your friend for actually finding them now, lol.
jsr555 likes this.
Old 02-08-2022, 05:15 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sosidge
HPI Pro 3
jsr555 likes this.