Community
Wiki Posts
Search

tip's with comm lathes

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2002, 05:49 PM
Tech Regular

Default i've

i've heard that the cobra lathes are ment to be very cappy in the department of quality and accuracy. are they
Old 12-20-2002, 06:39 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

if you guys are talking about the brush hood alignment tool made by parma, dont use it those are crap, they dont do anything for the alignment of the brushes all they do is align the brushes with each other and the brushes will still cock sideways slightly and lose power. what you really want to do is align each brush hood individually so when the brush cocks in the hood it makes maximum contact. and stock motors will very much benefit from brush hood alignment. that is one of the best ways to get power out of a stock motor. racers edge makes one of the good brush hood alignment tools.

the only way you can mess up the brush hood alignment is if you unscrew the spring post and the little phillips screw on the opposite side of the brush hood.

Last edited by Jarrod Langlois; 12-20-2002 at 06:43 PM.
Old 12-21-2002, 06:20 PM
Tech Regular

Default ???????????

i've never seen the point in brush alingment tools you get more power from having an extra 0.20 volts on your battery everybody dont waste your money jus buy better batteries.
Old 12-21-2002, 07:00 PM
Tech Champion

Default Re: ???????????

Originally posted by fasterdanu
i've never seen the point in brush alingment tools you get more power from having an extra 0.20 volts on your battery everybody dont waste your money jus buy better batteries.
brush alignment will not help you to get extra power but to minimize power loss.
Old 12-21-2002, 07:08 PM
Tech Elite

Wasn't talking about hood alignment tools - was talking about Cobra Lathes.

The Cobra Lathe that I use every time that I race is, well, better than any other lathe I've owned, including an original Twister and a Trinity.
Old 12-21-2002, 07:22 PM
Tech Champion

Default Re: i've

Originally posted by fasterdanu
i've heard that the cobra lathes are ment to be very cappy in the department of quality and accuracy. are they
that is what all my friends are telling. they owned it, hate it much and dumped it finally. I doubt who said it is greatest of all !
Old 12-21-2002, 07:31 PM
Tech Master

having the brushes making full contact with the comm will make a difference in power. aligning the hoods will help you get all the power out of a stock motor you can get.
Old 12-21-2002, 07:32 PM
Tech Champion

Originally posted by spaz456
having the brushes making full contact with the comm will make a difference in power. aligning the hoods will help you get all the power out of a stock motor you can get.
that's the point !
Old 12-21-2002, 07:44 PM
Tech Regular

it makes almost no difference i have tried and the brushes just pop back in to the same spot when the motor starts turning
Old 12-21-2002, 08:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

aligning the brushes 180 deg from each other is not how to align your brushes. It doesnt take into account brush shift due to the fact that the hoods are bigger than the brushes.

To align brushes, you need to run the motor with a four cell and look at the wear pattern. Then you need a bar that fits into the hood and tweak it a little at a time until the wear pattern is right down the middle of the brush.
Old 12-22-2002, 06:02 AM
Tech Master

Originally posted by Manticore
that's the point !
i was trying to point that out to fasterdanu
Old 12-22-2002, 07:54 AM
Company Representative

Default Cobra Lathe

Mine is 12 yrs old and works like a dream. Spend the extra coin and get a diamond bit right from the get go. Mine is still my first one and it still cuts the coms to a shiny finish. I found that Carbide bits are good for around 20 cuts then get dull. They may be cheaper to start with, but I would have gone through tons of them by now. TTYL.

Gary
Old 12-22-2002, 12:16 PM
Tech Regular

Default dimond bits

i'v been told by a fried i can send away one of the carbide tip's to some commercial dimond company and they will braise a dimond tip on for about 70au dollars they also are ment to be of good quality getting about 100cut's before you send it back to be sharpened.
Old 12-22-2002, 08:35 PM
Tech Regular

Default 55 turn lathe motor

Slight change of subject...I'm using a Hudy lathe, and trying to figure out how to get away from the 4 cell pack. Integy sells a 12 v 55 turn motor that you can hook directly to your power supply specifically for running the lathe...no 4 cell pack. Anyone tried one of these?
Old 12-23-2002, 01:06 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default problem

Hi,
I have a trinity comm lathe that i swapped for a old YR-4 chassis.
it has been great till the other day when it started to send out high pitch sounds, so i changed the tip to a newer one, and it still did the same thing. the finish is also terrible.
is it time to bin it?

thanks

ross

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.