Wiki Posts
Search

Most basic upgrades needed for the TA-05

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2006, 08:26 AM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by lookinco
I have read the LONG TA-005 thread, but there are just so much info I kinda got lost.

And yes I know what you mean about getting all the hop ups possible.

But my question is, what are the very essential parts in order to be competitive in the most stock form. I don't need bling.

For instance, someone told me some of the MUST HAVE includes the Tamiya flourine coated shocks, front one-way, center one-way, and the stablizer.
Well heres an answer I gave on the the TA05 thread to this same question.

The true essentials:

-swaybar kit
-tamiya tuned spring kit (short)
-the right tires for your track

Then drive the car first! Thats right, drive it nearly bone stock. Then see what you feel you need. For example, if you drive the car and say to yourself "man, alloy shocks will make my lap times lower", then go for them.

I think you'll find that there are very few things you need to really make this car the best you've ever driven.

And not to step on anyones toes here, but you should be wary of any advice telling you that one-ways are "essential". How could they possibly know that one-ways are "essential" unless they know where you race, what the traction is like, and what your driving style/skill is?

And I see some post that list one-ways, universals, etc... as "essential", but don't make mention of having the proper springs or tires. Huh?

As you will see, people have a vast difference in opinion as to what they consider "essential". I would suggest that you do what VERY few people with this car have actually done, run it stock, THEN decide what you need.

Good luck.
Old 04-07-2006, 09:25 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 108 (100%+)

I agree with the TRF shocks, springs and tires....then drive the car.I certainly don't think the double oneways or the aluminum steering, or universals are essential or basic. Unless you plan on running in a TCS event, take it slow. See what the car does, then add what it needs for YOUR driving.
Old 04-07-2006, 11:28 AM
Tech Regular

I am planning to join the TCS with it. Just want to get it somewhat close to like the Cyclone that I am driving.
Old 04-07-2006, 12:17 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I ran an 05 at the TCS Nats last year, and I didn't do much to it. I built it the night before qualifying started and only had limited updates on it. And most of what I ran I pulled off my 04. Here's what I would suggest:

Shocks
Double One-Ways
Springs

If you're on asphalt, I didn't run sway bars, and I don't think many people did last year. You may want to get a 415 A block and some C's or B's too to tailor the rear toe as well. I also transferred the LW arms over from my 05 to my 05 and have honestly never run the car with the "standard" arms. The aluminum steering doesn't do much to reduce slop, and neither did the graphite steering plate. I do have the carbon reinforced parts on mine now and it makes a huge difference in the rigidity of the car.