Wiki Posts
Search

Team Associated TC5

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 06:37 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by pakk
I really want to put my 1 way back in, but there is a big race coming up and they won't allow 1 ways!
That seems rather... well, stupid.

I did some setup changes today, and I realized how important rear diff tightness is just by loosening the rear diff and changing to a thicker sway bar I was able to push the car so much harder now without having the rear end step out. But I still need to somehow gain at least .5 seconds per lap.
Old 04-18-2010, 06:51 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)
Questions??

whats the easiest way to see if the chassis is tweeked. If it is whats the easiest way to fix. THe problem im having is on power it want to pull to the left on the straight
Old 04-18-2010, 06:57 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

I really want to put my 1 way back in, but there is a big race coming up and they won't allow 1 ways!

I do have a ball diff. I'll see if I can get it together. I tried black sway bars, but it made my car feel like it was on ice. I don't know why they wont work for me. Everyone else seems to like them.

Today, I'm going to try 40 wt oil and 6degree caster blocks. I'll report back later today.
Do you run RCGT? That class doesn't allow 1-ways.

Do one thing at a time. Change the front shock wt first.
Old 04-18-2010, 06:58 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BIG DADDY8
whats the easiest way to see if the chassis is tweeked. If it is whats the easiest way to fix. THe problem im having is on power it want to pull to the left on the straight
Not too sure how to see tweek, one method I've told to remove is to loosen of the chassis plate screws and just let the carbon fibre to re-settle it self for a day or so and then re-tighten the screws.
Old 04-18-2010, 07:03 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by BIG DADDY8

The easiest way is to lay your car (without wheels) on an ultra flat surface such as a setup board or perhaps, a glass table top. Look at the chassis at eye level and if it doesn't sit perfectly flat on the table top, then it is tweeked.

The easiest fix is to loosen the screws on your top deck and then press down on each end of your car as your re-tighten your screws. If that doesn't fix the tweek, then loosen all the screws for your top deck, bulkheads, bearing caps, shock towers and then carfully re-tighten then evening. If that still doesn't fix the tweek, then you may have a tweeked chassis or even a bent bulkhead. Also, pay attention to your battery and how you tape and/or screw the battery mount on as it can tweek your chassis, too.
Old 04-18-2010, 10:15 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default TC5

I'm not a newbie, but I have a question that makes me feel like one. Reading this thread I see to build the shocks with no or very little rebound. I've tried everything to get there, but I still get alot of rebound. What I'm I doing wrong?

Thanks
Jim
Old 04-18-2010, 12:46 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Tweaking

Originally Posted by Scooter79rs
Not too sure how to see tweek, one method I've told to remove is to loosen of the chassis plate screws and just let the carbon fibre to re-settle it self for a day or so and then re-tighten the screws.
Real carbon fiber is very dimensionally stable. You can bend it out of shape for a year and as soon as you relax the force, it will snap back to the original shape. That's one of the great things about carbon fiber. So if it's real carbon fiber and it was flat to begin with, it will go back to flat as soon as you remove any forces acting on it. Using a surface plate to install the top deck is good advice. Also, keep in mind that things like the battery straps, clamps, screws can tweak the chassis as well.

Using a tweak station is a good way to get your wheels on the same plane. A good practice is to set the front wheels level with the chassis first. Shorten the tweak station and set the chassis on the stationary tweak bar, just in front of the rear wheels to do this. Then set the tweak bars to the wheelbase and set the front wheels on the stationary bar and adjust the rears. This way the tires and chassis will both be on the same plane.

Last edited by jhberger; 04-19-2010 at 05:25 AM.
Old 04-18-2010, 02:06 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by jwq500rc
I'm not a newbie, but I have a question that makes me feel like one. Reading this thread I see to build the shocks with no or very little rebound. I've tried everything to get there, but I still get alot of rebound. What I'm I doing wrong?

Thanks
Jim
Check out the post I made a few pages back http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...d-tc5-807.html. That's how I bleed my shocks and I have zero rebound everytime.
Old 04-18-2010, 02:26 PM
Tech Regular

My tc5 has a solid diff,is that what comes with a new kit?Whats the correct length to build the shocks?
Old 04-18-2010, 04:30 PM
Tech Initiate

Thanks Bfong. I'll give that a try. What size hole should I drill in the cap?
Old 04-18-2010, 05:32 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by jwq500rc
Thanks Bfong. I'll give that a try. What size hole should I drill in the cap?
Actually, I just used a body reamer to make the bleeder holes. The bleeder hole should be really small, just enough so that any air can evacuate from the cap. If you notice towards the bottom of the post I mentioned, I posted a picture of the actual bleeder hole in the shock cap. Hope this helps.
Old 04-18-2010, 05:51 PM
Tech Initiate

Thanks again bfong. I used a 1/16 bit, and it seams to work fine. At least I have no rebound. I won't race again until next Sunday, so I'll try this setup then.

Jim
Old 04-18-2010, 09:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 80 (100%+)

That's where I ended up for the day.

My best weekend by far with this car. The car is very drivable, predictable, and stable. I would have played with more adjustments, but there is only so much time in a day.

I could always use more on power high speed steering if it is possible. I know there is only so much possible. If you have anymore suggestions to try, I'm all ears.

--pakk
Old 04-19-2010, 04:26 AM
Tech Addict

That's where I ended up for the day.

My best weekend by far with this car. The car is very drivable, predictable, and stable. I would have played with more adjustments, but there is only so much time in a day.

I could always use more on power high speed steering if it is possible. I know there is only so much possible. If you have anymore suggestions to try, I'm all ears.

--pakk
Did you get a chance to try the diff in the front or did you stay with the spool (slipper spool or regular spool?)?

Also, have you tried running sway bars since you changed to this new setup?

I see what you're trying to do by moving the front shocks to 4b...you're trying to get the front end to react.

At this point, I'd probably recommend trying sway bars again. Also, perhaps even going thicker with your front oil, perhaps 50 or 60wt. Prior to changing from a slipper spool to a 1-way, I ran 60wt and a silver sway bar in the front and 40wt with a black sway bar in the rear. It ran alright, but also needed more on-power steering. It didn't really get good Tamiya/X-Ray smack down steering until I switched to the 6deg caster and the 1-way.

Are you running RCGT and that's why you can't run the 1-way?
Old 04-19-2010, 05:32 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

Does anyone know where i can get a set of inline rear bulkheads?Just recently switched from losi back to the 5.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.