R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Modding Dischargers (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/106804-modding-dischargers.html)

killingtime 03-21-2006 10:51 AM

Modding Dischargers

Anyone have an idea on how to modify a discharger that has a 0.0 cut-off to something more useful, like a .5 or .9 cut-off?

The dischargers I have are the Integy Zero 6S and Zero-Thirty.

loopedeloop 03-21-2006 11:18 AM

Axxis-Racing have a conversion for the integy 0-30 which gives a .85v cutoff.

You can find their contact details here:

www.axxis-racing.com

XrayFK 03-21-2006 11:29 AM

If you so a search this has been posted on a few times. I know I have posted a few times with instructions on making simple yet effective equalizing tray.

killingtime 03-21-2006 11:36 AM

I have an email into Axxis inquiring about the kit. I would still like to know how this alternate cut-off rate could be accomplished as I would rather do it myself. Besides, they atate that thier kit is for the Zero-Thirty, but doesn't mention anything else.

XrayFK 03-21-2006 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by killingtime
I have an email into Axxis inquiring about the kit. I would still like to know how this alternate cut-off rate could be accomplished as I would rather do it myself. Besides, they atate that thier kit is for the Zero-Thirty, but doesn't mention anything else.

I believe the Axxis conversion for the 0-30 uses transistors to achieve a 0.85v cutoff. Last I heard they were still trying to get them from China or Japan.
As for the 6s tray you have, since that just uses a resistor, you can put a diode in line with it to have a cutoff of about 0.6-0.7v. Just make sure the diode is forward biased and can handle up to 6A or whatever the max discharge current would be based off the resistor.

loopedeloop 03-21-2006 11:57 AM

Last I heard is Axxis now has the conversion in stock.

To do it yourself will require 18 x 10A diodes or 6 x 30A.

RCMits 03-21-2006 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by loopedeloop

(edit)

never mind.. i was thinking the INDI reactor.

XrayFK 03-21-2006 12:06 PM

All those diodes would cost about $7. Although I was describing the diode method to use on the 6S tray.

loopedeloop 03-21-2006 12:17 PM

:eek: I priced the diodes over here in NZ .......................$9.00 ea :eek:

x18 = I could buy 2 0-30's for that. :(

I'm sticking with the axxis conversion

XrayFK 03-21-2006 12:24 PM

:eek: I priced the diodes over here in NZ .......................$9.00 ea :eek:

x18 = I could buy 2 0-30's for that. :(

I'm sticking with the axxis conversion

$9? Is that USD? Trust me, electronic components like diodes are dirt cheap.

loopedeloop 03-21-2006 12:29 PM

No thats NZD supplied by Jaycar over here.

rip off artists. even more expensive at dick smiths.

And your right they should be cheap as chips :nod:

rcguy2477 03-21-2006 12:35 PM

Using a diode with the 0-30 will drastically decrease the discharge rate(A=v/r, 1.5A=1.2v/.8ohms). When approaching .6v, the amperage will decrease, but it will not cut off like it would using a transistor.

jjkahler 03-21-2006 03:45 PM

Try this link, it may be useful for what you are trying to do.

Jason K.

http://www.schumacher.clara.net/equaliser.htm

BATT_MAN 03-21-2006 05:56 PM

There are many types of diodes, and yes they can be as cheap as $0.01 or you can pay $150 for a high speed, high amp rate schottky diode...
I know because we use and purchase them on a regular basis.

The problem with a REGULAR SILICONE DIODE is that you are NOT guaranteed that the cutoff will be the same on all diodes (even the same type and model). The other thing is that the 030 pulls in excess of 25 amps down to 0.85 volts and 36 amps at 1.2 volts. Just to play it safe you need 40amp diodes... or transistors that can handle the current and power (35 watts).

The other issue is thermal stability. Being that the 030 use resistors it does get very hot inside... If the diodes or semiconductors are not maintained at the right temp you will not get true equalization due to thermal drift.

There is not much place to install heatsinks for the semiconductors in the 030...so the right semiconductors need to be selected to maintain the temperature, sustain the power, and keep the voltage steady for real equalization.

That is why we have had delays with the transistors and the production of the 030 kits, because our supplier has shipped several times parts with the WRONG tolerances.

However, that issue has been resolved and we are getting product on a regular basis. The last semiconductors I received DID PASS our TEST.

Ihave been asked if this kit can be used with other dischargers and the answer is YES. However, the PC board is designed to nicely fit in the 030 (or Duratrax) We made si that the connections are simple to make. If you can build a battery pack, you can install the 030 conversion kit.

killingtime 03-21-2006 06:54 PM

Thanks for the help guys! :nod: