Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Battery Conditioning

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2006, 09:05 PM
Tech Regular

Default Battery Conditioning

I have some semi-old, GP3300's and I picked up a Novak Smart Tray, along with a Integy 16X5v6

(http://integy.automated-shops.com/cg...43106032086.54)

Along with a Comp. Electronics 23AMP Power Supply.

First I was wondering if that is a good charger and power supply. Next I was wondering how I should go about conditioning my packs for tomorrows race. I started by discharging all of the packs at 0.9 discharge on the Smart Tray, and that is all I done so far.

I was told to Charge them at about normal 2 peak, or 5 or 6 amp (for a little boost ). Then let it cool on the fan, run the pack, come back and discharge it at the 7v with the charger to drop the pack down, then put it on the Smart Tray, repeat process....

Is that a good way to do things? Also what should I charge my batteries at? This charger has alot of different options to choose from. How many Amp should I charge at? I race Stock Class with GTS speed Control, Z9000S servo, Monster Pro motor.

Thanks, Mike
Old 03-02-2006, 09:12 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Simple...Go to the SMC batteries website and follow their instructions for using your 3300 packs.

http://www.smc-racing.com/

They know!
Old 03-02-2006, 09:16 PM
Tech Regular

yes is a good charger.

dont let packs cool before you run them. you want them warm they will have lot more punch.

cheers
Old 03-02-2006, 09:16 PM
Tech Regular

Alright I will check it out. Im also going to be picking up a couple used, but like new GP3800's tomorrow.

I think there 3800's.

Is that a good charger and power supply? Anything else I would need? I know some people use the Indy Reactor that drops the cells down quick, but my charger does 20amp discharge rate so thats good...just a bit slower.

I was also told to never drop my cells down to 0. Thats why I bought the Novak SmartTray, because it has .09 dropoff and I can program it to 0 I think too...

My cells are not too old so I dont think I will need to drop them to 0, I was also told you only drop them to 0 if they been sitting for awhile and stuff. I use mine alot but I finally got the stuff to take care of them

When do I let my packs cool? While charging/discharging put them on the fan?
Old 03-02-2006, 09:40 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

You can drop the 3300s down to zero with no damage to them. I tray my cells for 12-14 hours before charging them for a race.
Old 03-03-2006, 04:40 AM
Tech Addict

You should tray the cells right before you charge them. Then after your race, discharge them to 5.4 volts for the pack then let them cool. If you're going to be running the same pack again, tray it before you charge it. If it's the last run of the day for them and they're going to be stored for a short time, you can take them down to 5.4 for the pack. If they're going to be stored for a week or more, you'll want to have a bit of a charge on them so they don't zero out on you. Also, since you're racing stock class, I'd charge them at 6amps. After time, the higher charge rate might drop your runtime by about 20 seconds, but since you're running stock, it's not something you'll ever notice.
Old 03-03-2006, 09:12 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Spot on RcCzarOfOld.

Bill
Old 03-04-2006, 08:14 PM
Tech Regular

So on my smart tray I should go 5.4? Or my charger?

This is what I did last night.

Discharged all my packs to 0.9, Charged one at 6amp, Raced it, let it sit until I got home (I only run a pack once a night, 4 packs per night). Did the same thing to the other 3 packs. Got home and put each pack on my charger and did a 20amp discharge, then put them on the smart tray to 0.9, stored it until Wendsday.

Good?