Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree272Likes

XRAY T4'19 SPEC

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2018, 12:08 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Rumor has it that Bruno was driving the car like that in Cinci at the worlds a few years back btw...

this is truly what I was seriously hoping would end of an utterly disastrous raceday, but this wasn't the issue...
Old 12-05-2018, 01:31 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Lonestar
Rumor has it that Bruno was driving the car like that in Cinci at the worlds a few years back btw...

this is truly what I was seriously hoping would end of an utterly disastrous raceday, but this wasn't the issue...
Yep, in practice for 2014 worlds in Florida, it was still bloody fast though
Old 12-05-2018, 03:15 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

I don't have Bruno's skills... I'm an old, family man that needs a mildly understeering car, not something that drives like a SWB 911
Old 12-05-2018, 05:51 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

Hi,

Which is better? Having all the brass weights in the center (center brass weight and servo mount brass insert by 7075it) or replacing the suspension holders to brass?

Thanks~
Old 12-05-2018, 08:54 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JoeyE
Hi,

Which is better? Having all the brass weights in the center (center brass weight and servo mount brass insert by 7075it) or replacing the suspension holders to brass?

Thanks~
Do you know about polar moment of inertia? Having the weight in the middle will have a lower polar moment. Having it more towards the outside of the car will have a higher polar moment. Lower moment will be more reactive, and higher moment will be more lazy. There's also the question of whether you want it more towards the front or the rear. More front tends to be better in higher grip.

The fast guy at my track on the '18 used the 7075it stuff in the cutout under the battery, insert in the servo mount, and maybe the motor mount foot plate. Beyond that, I think he just used flat lead weights up under the steering, and I think one on each side in the rear, behind motor / battery. Any remaining was just flat weight in the middle of the car. He ran a lot of alu / ti screws and protoform Pro-Lite body. He said something about wanting the weight to move around more by not just having it in the middle (basically higher moment of inertia).

IMO suspension mounts are too expensive to do in brass. But I guess they do make the car look cleaner.
Old 12-05-2018, 09:52 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

...interesting. Thanks for the info.
Old 12-06-2018, 08:05 AM
Tech Initiate

How long should shocks be, measured from the centre of each eyelet? SLP and ULP if there’s a difference. Thanks in advance.
Old 12-06-2018, 01:16 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Daffs
How long should shocks be, measured from the centre of each eyelet? SLP and ULP if there’s a difference. Thanks in advance.
I'm not sure there is a magic number for this. I like to set mine by screwing the lower eyelet all the way on then backing it out 1/2-1 turn. Then, I tweak each shock to be sure they are the same length.
Daffs likes this.
Old 12-06-2018, 01:21 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Daffs
Collapsed? Extended? Installed ?
Old 12-06-2018, 01:46 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by belewis01
Collapsed? Extended? Installed ?
Extended.
Old 12-07-2018, 12:01 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I was told to post this in here rather than in it's own thread:
Hi,

I have never used a setup sheet before and I am confused on the wheelbase shims. On the t4 '16 the manual shows putting a 1mm shim before and after the arm. How to you mark this on the set up sheet. To me it appears to only have provisions to mark what you put on the front of the arm. So am I right that in stock setup you would mark the middle 1mm because only one shim is in the front? A short wheelbase (front setup) would have both 1mm marked and a long wheelbase would have the 0 marked?

Sorry if my question is confusing. The only rc car I have ever raced before this car was a m18pro which doesn't have all these setup options.

Also does anyone happen to have an out of the box per the manual setup sheet for the t4 '16 filled out?
Old 12-07-2018, 02:39 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by mrreet2001
I was told to post this in here rather than in it's own thread:
The sheet shows the shims in front of the arm. The rest to make up 2mm goes behind the arm.

Base setups for the T4'16 can be found here:
https://www.teamxray.com/t4/2016/download/

Old 12-07-2018, 04:08 PM
Tech Regular

How's the car holding up for you guys? I run indoor black crc carpet and so far I've only broken a rear turnbuckle. My son drives it and beat the crap out of the car. I'm on my 3rd body and the car is holding up really well
Old 12-07-2018, 04:09 PM
Tech Regular

I am using the extra hard bumper though.
mracer1 likes this.
Old 12-09-2018, 01:53 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Lonestar
Back from the race.

I was running my freshly built '19 - see above, first new xray since my '17 which had served me well and was a peach to drive.

My first day with the '19 was an absolute disaster, possibly my worst race of the past 20 years. The car was desperately loose, mostly in the sweeper entry and in the chicane.

Layout was tight and technical, except the sweeper (which was not smooth but more of a abrupt entry one, and then smooth). Lo-grip carpet. We run Rex30's and boosted 13.5's. My car was setup as per the stock setup sheet, except the aluminium extra-flex chassis, and 2.5-2.8F. Montech Racer snug with the front bumper. The rest, all stock. Electronics from the previous race, where they did better than fine. I could not get the car to behave, I never found a way to be confortable with the car and "pilot" it, and could only drive very conservatively. Heck, did spin out a couple of times in the sweeper...

Things I've done during the day to no avail, in that order
- tried another set of tires
- glued front sidewalls
- go to 2.7F/2.5R
- go from 450R to 350
- removed the front brace
- toyed around with screws on motor mount
- swapped the alloy chassis to cwf one (yes... I did that during raceday and missed a couple of mains)
- go 5K diff
- heck, even changed motors and speedo setup

Checks I did during the day
- check that I hadn't swapped L/R C-hubs (for caster...)
- changed diffs (in case there was a warped something in there with a missing tooth or whatever)
- detweak after every run (not that it needed it... still do it all the time)
- checked for a binding transmission, it's 100.0% smooth and free
- no fleeing CVD pins
you get the idea.

The car was very very very edgy, I basically had to "endure" it all day and feather the throttle rather than drive it. I'm usually a mid-to-bottom A-mainer with 50/60 or so entries, and this time there were only 29 drivers due to a calendar conflict... and I was bottom of the B, and duking it out with people who usually are two mains below me. I understand I'm getting older and all and the younger guns are getting faster, but the car really really wasn't helping and I was doing one mistake every couple of laps or so, losing the rear all the time. When this is the case, usually it's the tires, but I did pull out 2 sets of Rex30's that day. Statistically, it can't be that.

At this point in time I'm wondering whether I've missed something during the assembly, or whether the nature of the car is to be edgy as hell... I can't believe it's the latter. Xrays are meant to be the RC equivalent of a gucci loafer, ie a confortable car that about works right out of the box with no efforts. Saturday, mine was a POS.

I'll tear it down fully and rebuild it from the ground up. If you have any good suggestions...

Thanks,
Paul
For sure it can be incredibly frustrating to build a new car and have issues on day one. It sounds like you know what to check for. One thing on not on your list is double check and make sure the balls in the shock eyelets rotate freely. If they are not, unscrew the shock eyelet out a half turn and they should free up. Just something else to look for when you are rebuilding the kit. Hopefully, next race day will go much better for you.

I run my T4'19 graphite edition on lower grip CRC Grey ozite carpet with JACO Blue as the spec tire and no glue on the front sidewalls. I have no experience the tires you are on. I was worried that the ultra-low shocks wouldn't be very good on the surface I run on, however, I have found the base setup to be lethargic rather than edgy and I've had to make changes to the setup to add response and steering.

Just wanted to share my experience, best of luck next time out.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.