Wiki Posts
Search

T.O.P. Racing "Scythe" 1/10 EP Touring Car

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2008, 11:11 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

On another note,

I've been doing some testing in Mod the last couple of weeks, but i cant seem to find the balance in the car. I'm not sure if i've set the wheel base too short or i'm just not allowing enough droop, but its so temperamental to drive.

Can anyone shed any light???...

Cheers

Robbie
Old 12-15-2008, 01:15 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by xray racer
On another note,

I've been doing some testing in Mod the last couple of weeks, but i cant seem to find the balance in the car. I'm not sure if i've set the wheel base too short or i'm just not allowing enough droop, but its so temperamental to drive.

Cheers

Robbie
When you say "temperamental" to drive, is there any one thing it seems to be doing, or is it just all round unstable?

Running plenty of droop would certainly keep the car more settled in general, as would a longer wheelbase.

What is your setup and what chassis parts are you using?
Old 12-15-2008, 01:19 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

On another note,

Cheers

Robbie

Are you sure its not the driver
Old 12-15-2008, 02:32 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sosidge
When you say "temperamental" to drive, is there any one thing it seems to be doing, or is it just all round unstable?

Running plenty of droop would certainly keep the car more settled in general, as would a longer wheelbase.

What is your setup and what chassis parts are you using?
Off power it just seems to step out in the rear, but then on power i cant seem to get enough steering.

I'm running basically and ARP with the new two piece top deck, spool up front.

Kit springs
Front shocks in kit position
Rear shocks stood up one hole on the shock tower
Camber links in the long position on the bulkhead front and rear
1mm spacer under front links, 0mm under rear
No shims under the Toe-blocks
1.4mm sway bars, tried disconnecting them also
I think i've got 1.5mm spacer behind the front arms
And 1mm spacer behind the rear arms, the uprights are set full rear.
4mm droop on the gauge all around

I mucked around with springs etc aswell, but on the last run this is what i was running.

This is on indoor asphalt, medium to low grip.

I curious also as to whether my speedy settings were off, by running too much initial brake or something.

And Alex... of course... the driver is ALWAYS the problem!

Cheers

Robbie
Old 12-15-2008, 04:12 AM
Tech Elite

Off power it just seems to step out in the rear, but then on power i cant seem to get enough steering.

I'm running basically and ARP with the new two piece top deck, spool up front.

Kit springs
Front shocks in kit position
Rear shocks stood up one hole on the shock tower
Camber links in the long position on the bulkhead front and rear
1mm spacer under front links, 0mm under rear
No shims under the Toe-blocks
1.4mm sway bars, tried disconnecting them also
I think i've got 1.5mm spacer behind the front arms
And 1mm spacer behind the rear arms, the uprights are set full rear.
4mm droop on the gauge all around

I mucked around with springs etc aswell, but on the last run this is what i was running.

This is on indoor asphalt, medium to low grip.

I curious also as to whether my speedy settings were off, by running too much initial brake or something.

And Alex... of course... the driver is ALWAYS the problem!

Cheers

Robbie
Sounds like a fundamental lack of grip! Are the tyres right for the conditions?

The TOP has always had a lot of steering, I often have a problem with the tail stepping out when the grip is low, although I have never had a problem with on-power understeer at the same time.

The only thing that looks slightly unusual there is the camber link spacing and roll centrre shims, it all seems a mm or so below what I would run. I run 2mm spacers on the bulkeads and 2mm under the front blocks, 1mm under the rear.

I often find that if a car is erratic on low grip that a setup that limits roll (higher roll centre and/or stiffer springs, possibly a bar) helps as it stops the car moving around so much and keeps it more responsive. I find that super-soft settings on low grip make the car ponderous and harder to be consistent with.
Old 12-15-2008, 05:23 AM
Tech Master

Josh, it's time for the photo's
Not that i can't wait to see them, but i want to see them now!
Old 12-15-2008, 06:15 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Josh- Car looks really cool.

I am interested in learning more-- and I am thinking that I might want to run this car. At least now I have the option to run what ever-- so ill be staying tuned.

Every time you made a new car in the past- i wanted one (you know this).. at least this one will make it to the track, Right?

Keep in touch~

Keith
Old 12-15-2008, 06:40 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

mikky - Not yet....lol....

Keith - Thanks and yes, this one will make it to full production. I believe everything is in full production now with already some parts/pieces coming in and are ready, others were checked and then sent out for anodizing as they will be ready next week. From the e-mails I've recieved, the minor updates that we worked on after this first car that I've been running are coming along great and things are progressing to the finished product... Speaking of which, I have to get back to these instructions!!

Here's a little update from this past weekend Fastcat's Holiday Challenge: 2nd leg of the Northeast Grand Slam Series:

I arrived on Friday to get set-up and run some practice with my TC, 1/12 and try to finish building my WGT car. The Photon was decient from the start and I only did some tire testing to try and find which tires I entended to use all weekend (Jaco Pinks). The lap times were ok, and I knew the track would change a lot so I decided to work more with my 1/12 (it wasn't all that great) and finish building the WGT.

Satruday I practiced a little more and thought that I was on pace. The first qualifier showed though that Kevin Hebert definatly had a great set-up on his car now and he was definatly going to be tought to beat. I still managed 2nd but was quite off the pace. I worked a lot on the set-up the next few runs and while I was able to close the gap to 3 seconds, it was still no where near where I wanted to be and the car was actually generating too much traction which caused it to lift both front and rear tires depending on the corner (on/off throttle). Needless to say, a bunch of thrash practicing after qualifying and I was able to greatly improve the set-up with changes to the front shock position on the front a-arm, front spring, front and rear camber links, ackerman and I think some others as I was just changing a lot super fast...lol.. In the end, it was much more consistant with better lap times but still was missing just a little more. I left it for Sunday to see how it would fair in the final round of qualifying.

Sunday I was on pace that would have been very close if not beat Kevin's TQ by .5-1 second but a crash with a minute to go ended my chances for 3 TQ's. The car still needed a little more so I changed the front width and rear diff tension for the final. In the final the car wasn't faster but just that little bit better that I needed. I was able to put good pressure on Kevin and a small bobble put me up front. From there, I just protected myself for a few laps and then stretched out a few car lenght lead when he made a mistake that left me in the clear to take a clean sweep of all 3 classes.

The car was quite good in the end and it was a great confidence builder to beat one of the top TC racers on foam tires right now. Kevin has had great runs in the 10.5 class the last year and has been runner up at the last few mod races so I know that the car is definatly on pace. Scary to think though that I still don't have all the details ironed out and I feel the car still has so much more to offer!! Let alone the minor adjustments for production that I know will make the car even better... I am very confident now, that we have a top (no pun intended) contender and have the potential to raise the bar in the TC market.
Old 12-15-2008, 06:57 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

Josh, do you plan to run the third leg of the series at 360 in january?
Old 12-15-2008, 07:03 AM
Tech Master

I would like to run all the races to support the series so I will definatly try to be there. Just depends on scheduling and how much work I have to get done back here...
Old 12-15-2008, 07:10 AM
Tech Master

Josh, comin' to Larry's this Friday ?
Old 12-15-2008, 10:58 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Dropped out of the discussion because I'm running foam.EJ,will get that setup to you as soon as I can.Mario.
Old 12-15-2008, 11:38 AM
Tech Master

jag88 - Not sure. I would like to get up there but it depends on family stuff. Also, I would like to leave this car together for foam for the Novak Race so we will have to see...
Old 12-15-2008, 11:50 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Josh Cyrul
jag88 - Not sure. I would like to get up there but it depends on family stuff. Also, I would like to leave this car together for foam for the Novak Race so we will have to see...
What will the internal drive ratio of the new car be?

Congrats on the win at fastcats.
Old 12-15-2008, 02:52 PM
Tech Fanatic

will there be a rubber chassis for this car also?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.