• 1 Post By bdemegs
  • 1 Post By jeromerc

Tire Gluing Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2017, 06:11 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default Tire Gluing Question

Short and sweet...

When you glue your tires, do you apply the glue to the tire or the wheel when you're going around the bead?
Old 06-24-2017, 06:37 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

First I wipe the tire bead and wheel with some motor cleaner or something to remove any residue. Then I'll dry fit my tire and insert (if applicable) on the wheel and I make sure its even and well seated. I will then pull the bead out in small sections, glue the tire bead lightly and reseat that section working my way around the tire. Some glues set faster than others, if you're not sure on how fast it will set, do a small section, reseat it, then move to an area farther away from what you just did, allowing the section you just did time to cure. Just keep alternating spots until you get it all glued all the way around
billdelong likes this.
Old 06-24-2017, 06:39 AM
Tech Elite

the wheel trough,, and then finally the tire and wheel edge seam..
Old 06-24-2017, 08:06 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by bdemegs
glue the tire bead lightly and reseat that section working my way around the tire
So when you apply the glue, it's actually to the rubber of the tire, not the plastic of the wheel?

If so... that's one for the plastic, one for the rubber so far. Please let me know if I misunderstand what you actually do.
Old 06-24-2017, 08:22 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

both the tire and the wheel at same time. You have about 2 seconds to get the tire on the wheel right once glue is applied. Put the insert in tire then put on wheel, the glue the 2 together. many of you tube videos on how to do it. Look for adam drakes, ryan lutz, or ty tessman's videos on how to glue tires
Old 06-24-2017, 08:32 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

I use really stiff tire bands. Clean the crap out of both tire and wheel first, seat, tire bands, pick a spot to start and then run around the head pulling it out as I go and gluing it and reseating as I go. Takes about 10 seconds per tire. Do one side, let cure, move the band to the other side and repeat.
Old 06-24-2017, 09:04 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

This will give you a visual of how it's done

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...dFJhficCS6Fb4g
Old 06-24-2017, 10:13 AM
Tech Apprentice

I've watched all the videos - an the main reason why I'm asking this question is because the videos are all shot from so far away that I'm not able to tell exactly where the glue is being applied.

racingnewb brings up a 3rd option - and maybe this is what most of the pros are doing in their vids - when they pull the tire back to expose both the tire and wheel beads, they apply to glue right in the crack between the two and then seat the tire into the wheel. Does that make any sense?

Another reason why I ask this question... I've glued three sets so far... the first two times I would pull back the tire and put the glue directly in the WHEEL BEAD then seat the tire. They turned out like shit. My 3rd attempt, I changed it up and applied the glue directly to the tire while it was pulled back - this gave me the ability to do what Lutz is doing in his vid... making sure the tire is seated properly.
Old 06-24-2017, 01:14 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I barely pull the bead back. You want a small gap, such that the CA glue wicks down into it. I find if you pull back far enough to see the wheel, or even the bottom of the bead clearly, then it's easy to put way too much glue. It also pulls the tire more out of shape and it can get stuck that way if the glue cures before you get it fully back into place.

For 1:10 tires, I put them flat on the table, then barely push the sidewall down and slightly away from the wheel. I get just enough to get a thin glue straw in there. Apply glue and it wicks around the bead. Really, I'm trying to glue the outer edge of the bead to the inner face of the wheel. I think that makes a stronger bond. Some will wick around and under the bead, but really gluing the side of the bead to the inside lip of the wheel is what gives more strength.
Old 06-24-2017, 07:04 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by PerryCodes
I've watched all the videos - an the main reason why I'm asking this question is because the videos are all shot from so far away that I'm not able to tell exactly where the glue is being applied.

racingnewb brings up a 3rd option - and maybe this is what most of the pros are doing in their vids - when they pull the tire back to expose both the tire and wheel beads, they apply to glue right in the crack between the two and then seat the tire into the wheel. Does that make any sense?

Another reason why I ask this question... I've glued three sets so far... the first two times I would pull back the tire and put the glue directly in the WHEEL BEAD then seat the tire. They turned out like shit. My 3rd attempt, I changed it up and applied the glue directly to the tire while it was pulled back - this gave me the ability to do what Lutz is doing in his vid... making sure the tire is seated properly.
at the end of the day, glueing tires is just that you are glueing tires to wheels. That in itself should say what you do. I have done it different ways. I used to clean the wheel and the tire, then put the tire on no insert, and glue one side of the wheel, then let it dry and fold the tire over put the insert in and take it back over the wheel and glue the other side down. Now I do it with the insert in and I also have my tire bands already on the tires. I slightly pinch back the tire where I can see down inside to the wheel and put glue in, if it gets on the tire who cares, if it gets on the wheel who cares it does not in my opinion make much of a difference accept for appearance and ease. If you mainly get it to go in on the wheel then you will more than likely come away with clean non superglued fingers, if you get more on the tire first, you might have some on your finger or your tires might be a bit white. Also if it is on the tire it is more likely to not fit right back in to the grove causing a slight bubble, so yes I do try for the wheel mainly, then I keep pinching back as I walk the glue around the wheel. This should push it up to the surface where you can see, then I go around as others have said more so on the tire to get a bead of glue to go all the way around the tire and when this is done I wipe away the excess glue. The main thing is to not get too much glue in at once, this causes a mess, and to make sure when you are glueing that every time you pinch the tire it goes back into place correctly, you have to be quick as sometimes it is out just a bit.

to clarify the glue should probably touch the wheel first with the tire pulled slightly back, so when the tire goes against the wheel it pushes the glue to the top of the bead making a good seal, then after the entire wheel/tire is glued put a small bead around the tire and let it flow around the entire tire to help fill in any voids, then wipe everything away
PerryCodes likes this.
Old 06-24-2017, 07:50 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by PerryCodes

Here is another one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqYXaB9uPoU&sns=em