Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Best Stadium Truck for large dirt track? >

Best Stadium Truck for large dirt track?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best Stadium Truck for large dirt track?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2017, 07:40 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Best Stadium Truck for large dirt track?

I'm looking for a seriously tough stadium truck. I'm building myself a 1/8 scale focused track, but at the back of my mind I keep thinking I'd like to run a stadium truck (or similar?) as well. I have taken the time to designed in short jump options, so I think a stadium truck would do alright? But I don't have enough experience to know what kit is most likely to hold up well.

My track: http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...sign-help.html

Before I get too far, should I be thinking 2wd SCT? I like the idea of the proline pro2 buggy. I could run the buggy body on my track, and swap to an SCT body on race day. The 2wd SCT was by far the biggest class, but I'm not 100% on what the current state of play is at the local track.

I ran a Durango dest210 for a season 2 years ago. I won several races with it, but of course Durango has turned belly up.

I was excited about the Xray xt2, because everyone says their stuff is tough. But then I found out that they don't currently offer a cover for the spur/pinion, which will certainly be a problem on my track.

The Losi 3.0 sounds pretty good? But I really don't have a clue. It'd be awesome if someone can comment on all the readily available ST kits? What has the best chance of holding up on a punishing track like the one I'm building?

And I don't know where to start in picking an appropriate motor. My DEST210 came with a 17.5, and later I got a 13.5. I won several races, beating people with lower turn motors...but I never attempted to run on a big track like what I'm building. Should I be thinking 13.5 because of medium to low traction? Or should I be thinking full-on mod motor because of long straights and big jumps?

Last edited by fredygump; 05-03-2017 at 08:04 PM.
Old 05-03-2017, 08:34 PM
Tech Addict

Any thoughts about running a 2wd buggy on a dirt track? I expect ground clearance will be an issue...which is why I started thinking truck.

But the thing is there appear to be ~20 different 2wd buggies, but there are only 5 options for truck, -1 b/c it's the old Losi, -1 b/c Xray doesn't have a gear cover...leaves 3 choices! (Based on Amain inventory.) Kind of disappointing, really.
Old 05-04-2017, 03:19 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by fredygump
Any thoughts about running a 2wd buggy on a dirt track? I expect ground clearance will be an issue...which is why I started thinking truck.

But the thing is there appear to be ~20 different 2wd buggies, but there are only 5 options for truck, -1 b/c it's the old Losi, -1 b/c Xray doesn't have a gear cover...leaves 3 choices! (Based on Amain inventory.) Kind of disappointing, really.
If it's really loose and you want rear motor, go with the 22T 2.0. But mid motor may be totally fine. I've been running my 22SCT 3.0 on my (tiny) track in my backyard, which is really loose and dusty, and it's hooking up just fine. So if I were you, I'd probably go with the 22T 3.0. Get the brass hinge pin hanger and you should be good.
Old 05-04-2017, 05:23 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

+1 for 22T-3.0, if you don't mind making a few upgrades then also take a look at the XRay XT2, but Losi has a far better setup out of the box and wider range of team/pro driver support.
Old 05-04-2017, 05:39 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by billdelong
+1 for 22T-3.0, if you don't mind making a few upgrades then also take a look at the XRay XT2, but Losi has a far better setup out of the box and wider range of team/pro driver support.

My concern with the XT2 is the exposed spur and pinion. Unless someone like Tesrey or exotek is making a part? I did some looking a couple of days ago, but didn't come up with anything.
Old 05-04-2017, 07:24 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

22t3.0 seems like the best compromise. Those are awesome trucks. Plus you get that little extra clearance over the buggy, like you said.
Old 05-04-2017, 08:05 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

If you have a loose track, I really wouldn't go with the XT2. It's got a laydown and the weight distribution is nearly 50/50 (when I had one it was 52 rear, 48 front with the battery all the way back.) That's just way too much weight on the front for a loose track. Add a $75 ball diff and the XT2 is not practical. In my opinion, the XT2 should be kept on the carpet and high bite clay it was designed for.
Old 05-04-2017, 05:30 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Take a look at the Pr Racing ST1 V2. It comes rear motor which might be ideal for you, but it can convert to mid motor with a few parts. It is a very durable truck with two upgrades. The steering blocks to the pro-blocks with the carbon fiber plates, and the 3mm motor plate.
A plus is the V2 truck can be found relatively cheap. $239.99 here https://evohobbies.com/kits-rtr-s/ho...-shipping.html
Old 05-04-2017, 05:37 PM
Tech Master

Losi 22t 2.0 is my recommend to. Rear motor will make a good difference in loose dirt and the 2.0 can be configured as both.
Old 05-05-2017, 08:53 AM
Tech Addict

I broke down and bought an Ebay special. It's a Losi 1.0, but super clean and with complete electronics. The guy said he ran it for 10 min, and it looks like it. I paid less than what the new kit costs, so I figure I can afford some upgrades.

And it is kind of an experiment, because I don't know how it'll handle on my track.

I'm kind of surprised by how quickly the cost of these things adds up. I shoudn't be, but... Just based on the size, weight, and simplicity of a 2wd, my brain insists they should be significantly cheaper than larger cars. But even if I went with cheap electronics, I could just squeak by at $600, and if I went Tekin RSX and mod motor, it'd cost me $800! (For comparison, I could build a sct410.3 with Tekin electronics for $900. A 1/8 buggy kit with Tekin electronics will cost ~$1,100, depending on the kit.

I guess I'm just a little prejudiced against the little trucks still? When I ran my Durango, it was my "cheap" truck...so I guess I'm still stuck thinking that a stadium truck should be significantly cheaper than bigger cars.

But I hope this thing really tears it up! It should be fun. I wonder if it'll be able to clear my crossover double jump? It is about 20'. (But I did design a short option, just in case.)
Old 05-05-2017, 09:03 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

I broke down and bought an Ebay special. It's a Losi 1.0, but super clean and with complete electronics. The guy said he ran it for 10 min, and it looks like it. I paid less than what the new kit costs, so I figure I can afford some upgrades.

And it is kind of an experiment, because I don't know how it'll handle on my track.

I'm kind of surprised by how quickly the cost of these things adds up. I shoudn't be, but... Just based on the size, weight, and simplicity of a 2wd, my brain insists they should be significantly cheaper than larger cars. But even if I went with cheap electronics, I could just squeak by at $600, and if I went Tekin RSX and mod motor, it'd cost me $800! (For comparison, I could build a sct410.3 with Tekin electronics for $900. A 1/8 buggy kit with Tekin electronics will cost ~$1,100, depending on the kit.

I guess I'm just a little prejudiced against the little trucks still? When I ran my Durango, it was my "cheap" truck...so I guess I'm still stuck thinking that a stadium truck should be significantly cheaper than bigger cars.

But I hope this thing really tears it up! It should be fun. I wonder if it'll be able to clear my crossover double jump? It is about 20'. (But I did design a short option, just in case.)
How much exactly did you get the truck for? $600 to kit out a 1.0 22t sounds a bit expensive.
Old 05-05-2017, 09:22 AM
Tech Addict

The $600 is if I bought the 22T 3.0 + cheap motor & ESC combo at Amain + cheap servo. I also included the aluminum bulkhead.

I actually paid $250 for the 1.0...and it comes with an orion 6.5t, [edit: Trackstar Turbo 120A ESC v1], turnigy servo. It isn't anything amazing, but I think it's a pretty decent package.

Last edited by fredygump; 05-05-2017 at 09:33 AM.
Old 05-05-2017, 09:23 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

The $600 is if I bought the 22T 3.0 + cheap motor & ESC combo at Amain + cheap servo. I also included the aluminum bulkhead.

I actually paid $250 for the 1.0...and it comes with an orion 6.5t, (Orion?) 120A ESC, turnigy servo. It isn't anything amazing, but I think it's a pretty decent package.
OHHH okay then haha. That makes more sense. Yeah $250 is a fair price for an RTR 22t methinks