Track Design Help?? >

Track Design Help??

Like Tree5Likes

Track Design Help??

Old 03-30-2017, 03:37 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Track Design Help??

Hey, I'm embarking on a new odyssey--building my own track. And I'd like any suggestions about features to add.

The land I have to work with is mostly flat. The only feature is a small rise on one edge, rising 3' over 10' or so. But beyond that it's all flat. It's around 1/2 acre, so I have no intention of using all of it.

The only idea I have right now is building an S-curve section across the sloped section. I'm thinking s-curves like from Suzuka circuit. And I want it to end with a corner like the famous "parabolica" from Monza--a curve that starts fairly tight and gradually straightens out. If the S-section is across the front, this parabolica curve will run along the side and to the back.

But I don't have any ideas what else to add. Any "essential" features?
Attached Thumbnails Track Design Help??-camerazoom-20170331094636000.jpg  

Last edited by fredygump; 03-31-2017 at 07:52 AM.
Old 03-30-2017, 04:49 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

like this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iS7o9LJgNho
Old 03-31-2017, 06:37 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

The current layout at my local track has a table top just after exiting the straight. It's a little "mini sweeper" leading into the TT, but not quite.

In order to clear the TT, your car must be set up correctly so that you can carry enough corner speed off the straight. You also have to have the skills to quickly square up to the TT and get off the steering so your car doesn't get totally out of shape in the air or off the face of the jump.

If you can't hit that TT consistently, you won't be in contention. I don't know why, but that's one of my favorite track features of any layout I've run. It's really simple, but it does a great job of stratifying the field.

I also really enjoy step-downs through sweepers, as it forces setup changes and attention to technique so your car doesn't traction roll when it plants coming off a step.
Attached Thumbnails Track Design Help??-capture.jpg  
Old 03-31-2017, 07:41 AM
Tech Fanatic

This one...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62_-ZlEWnU4
Old 03-31-2017, 07:51 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by KE4PJO View Post
yeah, I like that! It's more handling than the modern aerobatic courses...
Old 03-31-2017, 08:08 AM
Tech Addict

I added a sketch to the original post. I drew in approximate contour lines, to hopefully give a better idea of the landscape. I walked it last night, and it changes a lot more than it seems to from a distance.

I'm not intending to have any jumps in the section I drew so far. I thought maybe a couple step-downs on the straight? I like the tight curves opening up to a long straight, that is still curved....a good test of on power steering. And if a guy gets the curves wrong, he'll lose a lot of time on the straight.

Leading up to the high point (top left of sketch) is a pretty significant hill. I was thinking about contouring it like the hills in San Francisco that show up in classic movie chase scenes like Bullitt: https://youtu.be/31JgMAHVeg0

But I don't have any ideas for down at the bottom. I don't want to move huge amounts of dirt, because I gotta do this all by hand.
Old 03-31-2017, 08:11 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Now there's a track that would be fun!! The track I race on in the summer is a very similar surface and I love it! That's my idea of true offroad. If you feel like some extra effort a berm in one or more turns is fun.
Old 03-31-2017, 12:59 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 85 (100%+)

The moist fun tracks to me have elevation. While you may be tempted to run a chicane across the fall- line of the hill, make sure to have a stretch going up, and a stretch going down (step up & down double jumps are fun too). It doesn't take much of a grade to feel like a climb or descent and it's a lot of fun to race on.
Old 03-31-2017, 01:35 PM
Tech Addict

what's the ideal lane width for 1/8 scale? A local guy has a big track with 8' lanes...he says it's the way it should be. But some guys complain it is too narrow. Is there a standard width?

For starters I'll mark the inside of the turns, but I think knowing the future lane width is important so it works out if/when I add pipe.

I will probably start with making a berm on the apexes, and maybe a ditch on the outside? Minimal monetary investment. I don't actually own the land--it's city owned flood plain that my property backs up to. I'd like to buy the land, and if/when I do, then I'll be happy to invest more in the track.
Old 03-31-2017, 01:43 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Davidka View Post
The moist fun tracks to me have elevation. While you may be tempted to run a chicane across the fall- line of the hill, make sure to have a stretch going up, and a stretch going down (step up & down double jumps are fun too). It doesn't take much of a grade to feel like a climb or descent and it's a lot of fun to race on.
sounds good! I may have as much as 15' rise from the lowest to highest point. It starts with a low grade, and gets steeper toward the top--I guess it is the old river bank. And if it weren't for my garage and a couple of trees, it could be an impressive jump. I'm with you an the step-up jumps.

What do you think? Should I try to make a straight run from low to high? Or should I break it up into shorter sections?
Old 03-31-2017, 05:56 PM
Tech Addict

Here is a photo of the future track location, from the low point. Camera is at eye level.
Attached Thumbnails Track Design Help??-camerazoom-20170331191146615.jpg  
Old 04-01-2017, 05:41 PM
Tech Addict

Making progress. I spent the day clearing the grass and briars, and I cleared enough to safely run my car for a few minutes.

The edge of the bank is a natural feature, but makes a nice jump as is.

Now after spending some time out there, I am thinking the track should come around the outside (from the bottom/low area), jump up, do a U-turn and jump back down.

And the jump up--I'm thinking about doing a step-up jump. And then a ski-slope type jump on the way down.

After landing on the way back down, I'm thinking a long loop (banked?), greater than 180 degrees turn, that leads back up to the top of the hill....and then proceeding with the S-section as I was previously envisioning.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
camc71 and snowninja like this.

Last edited by fredygump; 04-01-2017 at 05:49 PM. Reason: them darn videos....
Old 04-01-2017, 06:09 PM
Tech Fanatic

That looks like a good spot. I like the ski jump and step up ideas. Both are fun jumps to perform. Maybe you can make the jumps on the far ends and use the middle as a high banked U-turn.
I usually start my track without many jumps then once I've taken some laps on it I can get an idea where to place any new ones.
If you're just running by yourself then the lanes only need to be wide enough for you to run. Some areas, like near jumps usually need more recovery space where others don't need much at all.

I look forward to seeing more of your track.

Here's one of mine. I have less space so I'm using 1/14 scale.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 04-01-2017, 06:40 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Backyard RC View Post
That looks like a good spot. I like the ski jump and step up ideas. Both are fun jumps to perform. Maybe you can make the jumps on the far ends and use the middle as a high banked U-turn.
I usually start my track without many jumps then once I've taken some laps on it I can get an idea where to place any new ones.
If you're just running by yourself then the lanes only need to be wide enough for you to run. Some areas, like near jumps usually need more recovery space where others don't need much at all.

I look forward to seeing more of your track.

Here's one of mine. I have less space so I'm using 1/14 scale.

+ YouTube Video

I like how you used the fence as part of the banking.

That would be fun...do a "Wall of Death" turn, where the banking is a vertical wall that wraps around the corner....that can be driven across?

A local guy had a near vertical wall/hair pin turn on his 1/10 scale track, but I didn't like it very much. During races, that section required 2 turn marshalls most of the time!
Old 04-01-2017, 06:41 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 85 (100%+)

Originally Posted by fredygump View Post
What do you think? Should I try to make a straight run from low to high? Or should I break it up into shorter sections?
I think it'll be fun if you go from low to high, out of as slow a turn as possible from the bottom or even start the climb on the hill, from an off camber. That way the car will be under load. You could add a lip somewhere below the top so you can jump to the plateau.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.