Search
Like Tree58Likes

Team Durango 2017

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2018, 08:54 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RC10Nick
This whole post reads like someone who's never had a lick of business experience.

Engineers cost money. The building the engineers work in cost money. The people who take care of the building the engineers work in cost money. The people who administer the benefits to the engineers cost money. The person in charge of keeping track of the money costs money. Factory workers cost money. Machines cost money. The building the factory workers and machines are in cost money. Inventory costs money. Shipping costs money.

When you buy an RC kit, you're not just paying for the raw materials going into the kit. You're paying for all the overhead associated with making the parts.

If you think it's possible to make and market a race vehicle for significantly less than what the big boys are doing it for, then do it. You'll become a rich man overnight.
I laugh when I read about kits costing too much. You are right, very few people have a clue about what it actually costs to develop and manufacturer a kit.
Lets just guess that if a company developed a kit that is sold for $350 and they sell 2000 (probably reasonable for an 1/8 scale or 10th scale racing buggy). Thats $700k. Let's say two engineers making $80k a year (bottom pay for good mechanical engineers) there goes $160k. Easily $200k in plastic injection molds. Then the cost to make the kits and package, ship, distribute. Figure $150 a kit. There goes another $300k. In the end my guess and from what I have heard, kits are a break even it could be losing if the kits don't sell. The money is made in parts and that typically funds developing the next kit.

I work in engineering R&D and I hear about costs all day long and I know what it cost to develop a product.
Old 01-16-2018, 07:19 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

Originally Posted by peter george
Cain on an unrelated subject , I was stripping a dex210 buggy with plan B aluminum chassis and under some double sided tape I cleaned off I saw engraved the name Cain. Did u have that custom engraved ? I know I bought from you but don't remember the whole plan B history. Gonna fit a lay down trans on it soon
yup that is correct you could get it with your name engraved
Old 01-17-2018, 09:55 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dhc8guru
I laugh when I read about kits costing too much. You are right, very few people have a clue about what it actually costs to develop and manufacturer a kit.
Lets just guess that if a company developed a kit that is sold for $350 and they sell 2000 (probably reasonable for an 1/8 scale or 10th scale racing buggy). Thats $700k. Let's say two engineers making $80k a year (bottom pay for good mechanical engineers) there goes $160k. Easily $200k in plastic injection molds. Then the cost to make the kits and package, ship, distribute. Figure $150 a kit. There goes another $300k. In the end my guess and from what I have heard, kits are a break even it could be losing if the kits don't sell. The money is made in parts and that typically funds developing the next kit.

I work in engineering R&D and I hear about costs all day long and I know what it cost to develop a product.
That's what I mention earlier. Money is to be made in parts and hop ups for the cars. Company cant stay afloat by just making the kits and little parts support. That's why a set of maybe 5 cents (worth of plastic) a arms sells reasonably for $10 and make maybe $9 profit. Just like automotive. Dealers don't make jack of selling cars (new ones), they make their $$$ of parts, upgrades and services.
Old 02-08-2018, 09:16 PM
Tech Rookie

I am sooooo pissed that TD is closed their doors. I was racing this past Tuesday and burned up a spur gear. I have crashed my DESC10 a million times and haven't spent a dime. A lose screw that held the middle diff cost me my spur gear. With that I am asking if anyone knows of a plastic or metal gear I can buy. I hate to throw away my truck to buy a true 1/10 scale SC Truck only to spend a ton of money because I crash often.
Thanks,
Tim
Old 02-08-2018, 09:20 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by tkrause
I am sooooo pissed that TD is closed their doors. I was racing this past Tuesday and burned up a spur gear. I have crashed my DESC10 a million times and haven't spent a dime. A lose screw that held the middle diff cost me my spur gear. With that I am asking if anyone knows of a plastic or metal gear I can buy. I hate to throw away my truck to buy a true 1/10 scale SC Truck only to spend a ton of money because I crash often.
Thanks,
Tim
Look at the Arrma senton, it is very similar and some parts may fit
Old 02-09-2018, 02:13 AM
Tech Fanatic

I hate to throw away my truck to buy a true 1/10 scale SC Truck only to spend a ton of money because I crash often.
Well, most "1/10" 4WD SCTs now are 1/8 based, so they're hard to break. But of course being able to keep your old truck running would be optimal - for that my suggestion other than checking eBay etc for the original part number would be to check out if Arrma has a fitting part as blankedj99 said.
Old 02-09-2018, 06:16 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Thanks,
Tim
Associated spurs fit, you just have to ream out the center hole a bit.
Old 02-09-2018, 08:36 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I have a machined adapter on my center diff that allows the metal Arrma spur to fit. I need to remove it and model it up so it can be duplicated.
Old 02-09-2018, 09:09 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

Thanks,
Tim
if you can find it, this is the part # for the steel version:

Td310649
Old 02-09-2018, 09:12 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

I think this is one of the last places to get one and it is in Germany. Shipping is a killer but if you order multiple bits it might make it worthwhile. I had to order some DEX210 stuff from Germany. It was around $30 to ship so I ordered as much as I could afford lol

https://www.modellbau-bochum.de/Team...Stahl-50Z-Mod1
Old 02-09-2018, 05:31 PM
Tech Rookie

I will call them on Monday. Luckily I speak German and I am married to one. Thanks for the tip.
Tim
Old 04-20-2018, 07:36 AM
Tech Addict

Hi all Durango fans,

i just got a newsletter from a german shop, and i saw, that this shop does have a big sale on Team Durango parts and kits too.

I‘ve got a information from another german shop, that this shop bought most of the european stock Durango parts a fiew months ago, so if someone is looking for parts, or even kits to keep his DEX‘s running, this is may the last chance to find parts!?

I‘m not sponsored, or in any other contact to this shop, just a customer, but would like to help, to keep those great cars running, as long as possible...

here is the link to the durango sale: (sorry, i could not find a link to change language to english)
https://www.modellbau-bochum.de/navi...erung=4&hf=124
Old 04-20-2018, 07:51 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Will they ship to the US?
Old 04-20-2018, 07:53 AM
Tech Addict

Actually, i dont know?
I‘ll have a look and post her, ok?
Old 04-20-2018, 07:56 AM
Tech Addict

At their shippings conditions, they say they to worldwide shipment, but costs are only after asking. (Sorry, but i dont know the right words in english)

here is the link to the shipping/payment conditions:
https://www.modellbau-bochum.de/Lief...Zahlungsmittel

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.