Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree311Likes

Tekno RC EB48.4 Thread

Hide Wikipost
Old 01-11-2018, 05:44 PM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: Tekno RC EB48.4 Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: billdelong
Welcome to the EB4.4 Wiki page.
If you edit the page, please add your name and date prior to your addition. While an admin can view the history, this makes it easier for everyone to just check updates. We'll put the newest additions at the top.

Bob B 8/10/17 - Should I start with the kit setup?
The kit setup is a great place to start. One other option that many of us start with is Joe's rough track setup. You can find that setup here
In order to run it you need 3x2.1 pistons and 3x2.0 pistons. (They are marked on the sheet as 3.1 and 3.0).

Matt W 7/7/17 - What is overdrive and when should I use it?
The NB48.4 comes stock with a 12t pinion (TKR8152) and the 39t ring (TKR8151) in both the front and rear and the EB48.4 has a 12t pinion (TKR8152B) and the 40t ring (TKR8151B) in both the front and rear.

The two sets of gears are used to overdrive the front of the EBs or underdrive the rear of the NBs. If you have both vehicles and want to try underdrive it's as easy as swapping the front diff and pinion of the EB and the rear diff and pinion of the NB. Underdrive helps on very loose tracks, when you need more on power steering or if the rear of the car feels loose.

Tips and Tricks
Setup Sheets:
Setup sheets for all Tekno RC vehicles can be found here. Please be sure to try our recommended setup. It works very well on most tracks.

Warranty Policy:

Tekno RC is the only company in the industry that will give 50% off of parts if returned to them using the General Warranty return policy found on their website. The parts can be lightly used or completely abused, as long as the part is still being produced it's covered!

Piston Drills:

Some of our setups recommend using pistons that are enlarged. For instance 4x1.9 or 3x2.0. To drill the pistons we recommend the following:
GMK Supply Piston Drill Set
16PC Metric Bit Set Metric Sizes 2.00 to 3.00 MM.

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2017, 08:57 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bigboyz12000
Those are the universals that come with the .4 kit. I'm asking about the CVD's
Old 01-09-2017, 08:59 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Bob Barry
I have an XR8 in my .3 with no issues. It should be the same for the .4
Awsome how do you like it vs say a tekin system? Thanks guys
Old 01-09-2017, 10:55 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

I've never owned a Tekin system so I can't compare it. But I love it.
Old 01-09-2017, 11:02 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jmcelroy42
Are there new CVD's out yet? I race on a indoor smooth track and would like to try them back to back with the uni's to see which I like better. I'm really glad i saw this because i was about to buy some off eBay
Not yet available. I don't have a good ETA for you either .
Old 01-09-2017, 11:09 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

The January Jam in Flowood, Mississippi was this past weekend. There were a lot of .4's on the track, including mine, Lutz's and Bornhorst's. The enhanced performance of the .4 over the .3 was undeniably noticeable, in both the hands of the pros and everyone else. The controlled steering in to and out of a corner is exactly what everyone has been talking about. Pinpoint precision coming in, with very predictable steering midway and out of the corner. It jumps and lands like a cat. Best 1/8th scale eBuggy I've driven over the past 7 years of getting back into the sport. Tekno did their homework, making a great platform even better. If you don't have a .4 yet, there's no reason to wait if you're unsure of whether or not it can live up to its hype. This car had everyone in the pits talking.
Old 01-09-2017, 11:22 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

ordered my .4 yesterday, cant wait to get it and start building. I'v always bought used cars in the past so I'm excited to build this one and be the only/first owner.
Old 01-09-2017, 11:34 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Replies in red.
Originally Posted by latentspeed
So the steering is more controlled as in less steering?

On my .3 I took out a defective mks 599 because it decides on its own if it when it wants to change its center, where I'm continuously needing to adjust the steering trim. Servo saver is tight and everything turns freely. Swapped it out with ko propo rsx which had no problems.

What happened was that I could drive the car harder. Much more predictable, stable, consistent and I was faster. Rotation was under greater control.

You are correct in that a slower servo can be easier to drive, but only to a point, then it becomes increasingly difficult to drive, more so than a servo that's too fast. One way we addressed that was by using our aluminum servo horn and running the link in the inner hole. This did two things, increased the resolution of the steering (more servo throw for the same wheel movement), and slightly increased the time it took to get max steering lock (again, greater servo travel for same amount of wheel movement). It also had the benefit of increased servo life as the wheels now have less leverage on the servo.

Bornhorst uses the mks 599 and for whatever reason the car was twitchy with it, at least for me. Lutz uses a super fast futaba that might be causing the same issue. Point is those two team drivers give their feedback to tekno and because of their super fast servos the cars are harder to control. Therefore the new steering on the new .4 might not have been needed. Maybe except on carpet, but I wouldn't know because there are no carpet tracks where I'm from. I may be wrong. It was a big shock to me that handling was so different from a servo change.

I have yet to meet a pro driver that doesn't want the fastest responding servo they can run. Those top guys have amazing reaction times and they need their equipment to respond immediately. If we simply turned down their servo's speed it would be worse for them. The change we did to the steering is not a speed thing, it's different geometry that alters the ackermann, specifically when/where it occurs in the turn. The best way to describe it is that it smooths out the transition of the ackermann effect. It transitions better on and off power as well as beginning, middle, and end of a turn. The old geometry was pretty aggressive and once you started the turn the car could really start to come around on you. So if you had an increasing radius turn you often time would be turning too much, then counter steering to correct, then turning more to get back in line, etc. The new geometry fixes that. You can still get a lot of steering out of the car, but it is so much more usable than before.

What I'm guessing is that because this buggy already has responsive steering, adding a responsive servo is too much. It needs balance between responsiveness and control.

Yes and no. You kind of have to separate the speed of the servo and how the steering works. Good example of this, especially in off-road, is whipping the car in the air. A slower servo is going to make correcting a car's in air attitude more difficult but might be easier to get around a turn whereas a high speed servo might feel a little twitchy in the turns but the ability to correct in the air is much better.

BTW I spoke with mks customer service and team manager Kenny. Still waiting to get an email or call if they will service this new defective servo. They are polite and their words sound promising. Will update this week if mks is a brand that stands behind their products and if they should or shouldn't be recommended.

Originally Posted by latentspeed
That's not what I mean. A whole steering system isn't needed just to decrease steering. Just add more washers or decrease steering with your radio.On the website it says responsiveness is increased while being less edgy. Was wondering if this was achieved by having weaker steering. Like how kyoshos have less steering, but is very easy and forgiving to drive. Every brand has their own steering feel or steering identity. Schumacher has the most steering I've tested, xray second. Durango and yokomo having the most responsive.

Example would be that tekno can do tighter corners than kyosho, but it doesn't mean it is better. When comparing the .3 steering to .4 has the steering gone down a bit to gain more stability? Or does the .4 steer just as sharp and tight, but more stable making it faster?
The car still has the same overall amount of steering, it's just more controlled.
Old 01-09-2017, 12:54 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

If you're an inquisitive type, have some recollection of geometry and trigonometry, Google "Ackermann and Slip Angle". Or "Pro and Anti Ackermann". There are plenty of video explanations about the effects of changing the inside and outside tire angles and how this effects steering throughout the entire process of making a turn. You may have to sift through a few different explanations to get one that has a nice blend of technical jargon, without over explaining, based on your knowledge level of geometry and trigonometry. Yet, once you get a basic understanding of what slip angle does and how altering the Ackermann affects that, you can better appreciate how the changes in the .4 are affecting the steering, not reducing it to numb the car.

Tekno did the hard work in figuring this out and redesigning the Ackermann plate and Bell Cranks to change the inner and outer wheel angles. To fully understand it, you have to take in more than just servo speed and end point adjustments.
Old 01-09-2017, 02:12 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by vwduud
If you're an inquisitive type, have some recollection of geometry and trigonometry, Google "Ackermann and Slip Angle". Or "Pro and Anti Ackermann". There are plenty of video explanations about the effects of changing the inside and outside tire angles and how this effects steering throughout the entire process of making a turn. You may have to sift through a few different explanations to get one that has a nice blend of technical jargon, without over explaining, based on your knowledge level of geometry and trigonometry. Yet, once you get a basic understanding of what slip angle does and how altering the Ackermann affects that, you can better appreciate how the changes in the .4 are affecting the steering, not reducing it to numb the car.

Tekno did the hard work in figuring this out and redesigning the Ackermann plate and Bell Cranks to change the inner and outer wheel angles. To fully understand it, you have to take in more than just servo speed and end point adjustments.
I made it clear earlier that I wasn't talking about wheels turning less. That's why I said if that's all I wanted I'd just add washers or turn steering down with the radio, endpoint adjustment.

Before that I mentioned changing out a defective servo on my .3 and was surprised to have different handling around corners, not just servo response. There is a difference between responsive and aggressive, and shared my experience after swapping out servos.

As for my question about steering on the new .4 Mr Armeni answered them. Although Bornhorst is not using the fastest servo mks has to offer in this class. Mks is super responsive.
Old 01-09-2017, 02:14 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Matthew_Armeni
Replies in red.
thanks
Old 01-10-2017, 09:42 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by protek
Hi guys, I'm new here and I want to ask you opinion, in my country there are not many drivers with Tekno car and for my area there is nobody, and I have doubts ...

I will renew my 1 / 8th cars (buggy and truggy) Before I had truggy mbx7T eco and buggy mbx7 eco, the truggy I already sold it and the buggy I will sell it when I buy the new electric kit ....

I would like to know if Tekno is going to take out the new electric Truggy, which would be the ET48.4, in case they know of some rumors or news ...

And as I say where I live nobody has Tekno, but if they have Hot Bodies E817. I do not know if I renew my E-Buggy with a Tekno EB48.4 or with an HB E817 ...

Someone helps me decide. Thank you.
protek,

I see no one has responded to you yet.

I have not ran the .4 yet, actually haven't built it yet. But I can tell you when I bought my .3 over a year ago, I bought F & R arms, shock shafts, hinge pins, CVD's....The list goes on. I still have a box of parts almost a year later that I never touched. Only thing I would definately keep on hand is hinge pins, and shock shafts. I can't think of any other breakage on my .3 besides those things. I fully expect the .4 to be just as bulletproof..

And I'm not a clean racer. My crash % is still higher than I would like, but I'm working on it. Some say I still go for style points.

Oh, and if anyone is wondering, all available .4 parts are now available at fiercercsolutions.com So get them before everyone else does.
Old 01-10-2017, 09:50 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by aaron2u
Just ordered a kit from Tower yesterday. How long before shipments of spares are being sent to retailers? Tower, Amain, etc.?
All .4 specific spares are in stock at Fiercercsolutions.com , In addition most of the rest of the parts for the rest of the tekno line up are also.
Old 01-10-2017, 10:31 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

thats good info that the spares are making their way out there.

Well this is funny. Tower hobbies has raised the price of the EB48.4 . If I recall correctly it was 549.99 yesterday or the day before, now showing up at 569.99
Old 01-10-2017, 10:47 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cain

Well this is funny. Tower hobbies has raised the price of the EB48.4 . If I recall correctly it was 549.99 yesterday or the day before, now showing up at 569.99
Yep Cain you are right. It has gone up $20 overnight.

Still heaps bit cheaper than the HB E817 at $659 which is ridiculous.
Old 01-10-2017, 11:15 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cain

What. The. Heck!!!! I had it in my cart yesterday but didn't pull the trigger. Bummer

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.