Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree311Likes

Tekno RC EB48.4 Thread

Hide Wikipost
Old 01-11-2018, 05:44 PM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: Tekno RC EB48.4 Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: billdelong
Welcome to the EB4.4 Wiki page.
If you edit the page, please add your name and date prior to your addition. While an admin can view the history, this makes it easier for everyone to just check updates. We'll put the newest additions at the top.

Bob B 8/10/17 - Should I start with the kit setup?
The kit setup is a great place to start. One other option that many of us start with is Joe's rough track setup. You can find that setup here
In order to run it you need 3x2.1 pistons and 3x2.0 pistons. (They are marked on the sheet as 3.1 and 3.0).

Matt W 7/7/17 - What is overdrive and when should I use it?
The NB48.4 comes stock with a 12t pinion (TKR8152) and the 39t ring (TKR8151) in both the front and rear and the EB48.4 has a 12t pinion (TKR8152B) and the 40t ring (TKR8151B) in both the front and rear.

The two sets of gears are used to overdrive the front of the EBs or underdrive the rear of the NBs. If you have both vehicles and want to try underdrive it's as easy as swapping the front diff and pinion of the EB and the rear diff and pinion of the NB. Underdrive helps on very loose tracks, when you need more on power steering or if the rear of the car feels loose.

Tips and Tricks
Setup Sheets:
Setup sheets for all Tekno RC vehicles can be found here. Please be sure to try our recommended setup. It works very well on most tracks.

Warranty Policy:

Tekno RC is the only company in the industry that will give 50% off of parts if returned to them using the General Warranty return policy found on their website. The parts can be lightly used or completely abused, as long as the part is still being produced it's covered!

Piston Drills:

Some of our setups recommend using pistons that are enlarged. For instance 4x1.9 or 3x2.0. To drill the pistons we recommend the following:
GMK Supply Piston Drill Set
16PC Metric Bit Set Metric Sizes 2.00 to 3.00 MM.

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2017, 11:36 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Norse
So is a 1900KV motor the ticket or lower?
The Tekin T8 1900kv is a popular motor used in a wide variety of 1/8th scale electric buggies. I only state this to make the distinction to Tekin's T8i motor that has come up in this thread. The point I'm trying to convey is the size of the motor, based on its intended application. There are other brands of brushless motors that work the same.

The T8i is a smaller, lighter motor, more aimed at smaller, indoor tracks (hence the "i" in its name). While it will work, it can overheat when used outside of its intended use.

Also 1900kv is a common size chosen for 4S battery powered electric buggies. Some brands will list their motor offerings as 1850kv or even Tekin's slightly larger motor, the 2050kv. All will work, but the T8 1900kv choice is widely popular and works well with the Tekno buggy using either a 16 or 17 tooth pinion.

http://www.teamtekin.com/t8.html
http://www.teamtekin.com/t8i.html
Old 01-13-2017, 12:09 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

Originally Posted by vwduud
The Tekin T8 1900kv is a popular motor used in a wide variety of 1/8th scale electric buggies. I only state this to make the distinction to Tekin's T8i motor that has come up in this thread. The point I'm trying to convey is the size of the motor, based on its intended application. There are other brands of brushless motors that work the same.

The T8i is a smaller, lighter motor, more aimed at smaller, indoor tracks (hence the "i" in its name). While it will work, it can overheat when used outside of its intended use.

Also 1900kv is a common size chosen for 4S battery powered electric buggies. Some brands will list their motor offerings as 1850kv or even Tekin's slightly larger motor, the 2050kv. All will work, but the T8 1900kv choice is widely popular and works well with the Tekno buggy using either a 16 or 17 tooth pinion.

http://www.teamtekin.com/t8.html
http://www.teamtekin.com/t8i.html
Thank you Jim much appreciation for your help. I am new to 8th scale racing even though the facility I run at has a very large 8th scale outdoor track I have always stuck with running 10th scale classes which predominantly are run on the smaller 10th scale track.

Since our facility's track is outdoor and large what would you recommend motor wise as it sounds like Tekins 1900 KV TBI is best suited for smaller indoor tracks.
Thus would their 1900 KV TB be adequate or HWings 1900 KV G2 motor? I am bringing up HWing as I have their new XR8 Pro ScT which is suggested as well for use in 4s 8th scale buggy racing.

Thank you very much.
Old 01-13-2017, 12:29 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

Originally Posted by greener74
lol, jinx. Now you did it. I think its a great kit. I've never built a Tekno before. I've always just seen them kicking my butt all over the track. I just see these minor "fitment issues" more like "build tips"
yeah they are excellent vehicles. I mainly got away from the Tekno line due to my conditions here relative to what I could get out of my SCT410 performance wise.

The newer SCT410.3 so far has been excellent as I would expect from tekno and I look forward to seeing how it does outdoors, and it is nice to be back where the company puts a value on racing.

So is a 1900KV motor the ticket or lower?
For your track which seems to be large you should be fine I am thinking. I would say in general if you have concerns, compare or talk wth someone who has a good running eb48.3 and a similar kv motor and determine what the theorectical top speed is. Then, plug that in using the new EB48.4 specs to determine what gearing you need. It may be to have a good gearing range, you want a motor with slightly less Kv than a 1900kv motor. That was something that some people I know (and I was considering myself) were doing on the ET48.3, using a 1700kv motor instead of the common 2000kv to have more gearing range on 4S.
Old 01-13-2017, 12:41 PM
Tech Master

Thank you Cain much appreciated my friend. The lower KV makes sense thus I will ask some of the fellas whom race 8th scale at our local facility. I have a while regarding truly picking a motor as we are in the dead of winter, however hoping to head down to the HobbyPlex in Nebraska next month. From your info and all other info, I am thinking I will throw in HWing's 1900KV G2 motor, thus having the XR8 pro SCT speedo I really want to pair with a G2 HW motor.
Old 01-13-2017, 12:43 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I've been running the 1800kv Castle motor. It seems smoother and runs cooler than other 1900s. Most run a 1900 though.
Old 01-13-2017, 12:48 PM
Tech Legend

Thank you Cain much appreciated my friend. The lower KV makes sense thus I will ask some of the fellas whom race 8th scale at our local facility. I have a while regarding truly picking a motor as we are in the dead of winter, however hoping to head down to the HobbyPlex in Nebraska next month. From your info and all other info, I am thinking I will throw in HWing's 1900KV G2 motor, thus having the XR8 pro SCT speedo I really want to pair with a G2 HW motor.
I know the feeling. Its all outdoors here for this scale for where I can get to for racing so kind of just compiling things before i decide to buy. Right now if I buy now its just sitting here, taunting me lol.

I am also waiting to see if Maclan will have something for a 1/8 ESC. Not saying is wrong with my HW gear, but I always have a fond spot for Maclan.

Originally Posted by Numburn
I've been running the 1800kv Castle motor. It seems smoother and runs cooler than other 1900s. Most run a 1900 though.
This that new sensored motor? Looks pretty good and its Kv would be in a more reasonable range as far as the Tekno goes for where I race and my gearing habits.
Old 01-13-2017, 12:50 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cain
This that new sensored motor? Looks pretty good and its Kv would be in a more reasonable range as far as the Tekno goes for where I race and my gearing habits.
Yeah, ran in 2 big events so far and am happy with it. Doesn't have the "hit" a 1900 has and you can use a wider range of gearing without heat issues. I ran a 19t on the .4 last weekend with no heat issues.

I'm also running the 2200 in truggy and am extremely happy with it.
Old 01-13-2017, 01:01 PM
Tech Master

Yeah, ran in 2 big events so far and am happy with it. Doesn't have the "hit" a 1900 has and you can use a wider range of gearing without heat issues. I ran a 19t on the .4 last weekend with no heat issues.

I hear u as the winter's really kill larger scal racing up in are area. I understand your spot for Maclan. I could not resist ordering their 10th scale MMax pro 160 when it popped up on Amain 2 days ago. Plus I needed another 10th scale ESC. Same here with my HWing XR10 pro stock spec and XR10 Pro 160 have been better than excellent. The little pro stock spec is a beast with the added quad cap. Just received another quad cap I will be putting on the XR10 pro 160. Looking forward to trying my XR8 pro SCT.
Old 01-13-2017, 01:10 PM
Tech Master

Castle has new sensored motors? If so that is nice to hear. Only reason I want to use a HWing motor is do to some of the HWing ESC features per the XR8 pro, and XR10 pro require the use of HW's new G2 4 pole motors.
Old 01-13-2017, 01:16 PM
Tech Master

Anyone try the Ruddog motors? I see the have a 1800kv motor. Price is sure affordable at $99,
Old 01-13-2017, 01:21 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

Thank you Jim much appreciation for your help. I am new to 8th scale racing even though the facility I run at has a very large 8th scale outdoor track I have always stuck with running 10th scale classes which predominantly are run on the smaller 10th scale track.

Since our facility's track is outdoor and large what would you recommend motor wise as it sounds like Tekins 1900 KV TBI is best suited for smaller indoor tracks.
Thus would their 1900 KV TB be adequate or HWings 1900 KV G2 motor? I am bringing up HWing as I have their new XR8 Pro ScT which is suggested as well for use in 4s 8th scale buggy racing.

Thank you very much.
Both Tekin and HobbyWing are well respected brands in 1/8th scale electric racing. Although I haven't run HW's XR8 pro, I have run the SCT Pro along with their sensorless motors. Being a 1/10th scale ESC, the SCT Pro held up well in my 1/8th electric buggies.

As long as you stick to the T8 sized motor can, it will come down to personal preference. I run Tekin and like Tekin. Their customer service is second to none and their performance on the track speaks for itself.

As many Tekin lovers there are out there, there are just as many HobbyWing fans, as well as a few other brands.

Check out what is in the pits. All of the major ESC's are programmable via a PC, tablet, phone or programming box (as well as buttons on the ESC). While not difficult to learn what these settings can do for you, it can be a bit daunting if you've never done it before. See if there's a "Tekin" guy or a "HobbyWing" guy that can help you set it up.

Jim
Old 01-13-2017, 01:33 PM
Tech Legend

I hear u as the winter's really kill larger scal racing up in are area. I understand your spot for Maclan. I could not resist ordering their 10th scale MMax pro 160 when it popped up on Amain 2 days ago. Plus I needed another 10th scale ESC. Same here with my HWing XR10 pro stock spec and XR10 Pro 160 have been better than excellent. The little pro stock spec is a beast with the added quad cap. Just received another quad cap I will be putting on the XR10 pro 160. Looking forward to trying my XR8 pro SCT.
I'll definitely have to hear your thoughts on that MMax esc

That quad cap does do wonders for sure

Anyone try the Ruddog motors? I see the have a 1800kv motor. Price is sure affordable at $99,
Curious on those as well including 1/10 lineup. great prices there, especially if you can sling in the new tower hobbies coupon match.
Old 01-13-2017, 01:54 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Cain
I'll definitely have to hear your thoughts on that MMax esc

That quad cap does do wonders for sure

Curious on those as well including 1/10 lineup. great prices there, especially if you can sling in the new tower hobbies coupon match.
I am hoping to run the new MMax towards the end of next week. It will be cool compare with the XR10 pro in which I will give my honest unbiased opinion. I have heard the MMax is super super smooth while having all the power in the world. One would think the 32 bit processor will make a huge difference.
Old 01-13-2017, 05:45 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Also check out SMC, They have a 1900 and a 2100 kv and are only $70
Old 01-13-2017, 06:31 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by greener74
I've reamed many arms over the past 30 years. This was the first time I found an arm that was unreamable. my reamer wouldn't touch it. But the file worked great. I should have sent you my arms and my reamer and have you go at it. I spent an hour on one arm and got nowhere. It was like trying to saw a car tire in half with a stick. I even took the reamer bit out and stuck it in my drill. Then I froze the arm to make it harder in hopes of being able to get it to cut. Its a brand new Hudy reamer. The chainsaw file worked in a matter of seconds. Just trying to give people a heads up so when they build the kit they know how to get it right. And the problem is, the pin wont slide through. When the mold cools the two ends of the arm angle in toward the center and makes the holes offset, so its not a straight shot through the arm.
fair enough. Perhaps you just got a bad batch. Hopefully this is just an isolated problem.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.