Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree187Likes

TLR SCTE 3.0 Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2016, 07:08 PM
Tech Rookie

I think Maifield is running a standard 2.0 shock setup. I was browsing one of ROAR's photo galleries on facebook for the seeding rounds, and saw Joe Pillars working on a 3.0 (Probably Maifield's) with regular 2.0 shocks.

I can't post links yet as this is only my 3rd post.

Last edited by JPMRC; 07-22-2016 at 07:11 PM. Reason: Grammar error
Old 07-22-2016, 07:38 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

who's faster in SCTE, JR or Maifield?
Old 07-22-2016, 07:42 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by JEFFs SC10
who's faster in SCTE, JR or Maifield?
I'd have to think that Maifield is the faster one
Old 07-22-2016, 08:56 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dtr
Good luck Dakotah!

This is what I mean by wind

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
That's got to be the best example of what cross wind can do to a truck, any truck. I don't think a heavy truck is enough to prevent that effect. It would be less though.
Old 07-22-2016, 09:48 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Frank Root
If the suspension is dialed in for the weight, I can't think of one form of racing that prefers a heavier car to a lighter one.
Most of the time I feel you are spot on. However, this less wt theory has been dismissed many times. Less weight is not always the right tool for the job. The heavy rigs push you around in the corners and you can't do anything about it. Being so light also effects how well they fly on long jumps before getting out of shape due to light breeze or even bumping another car lightly in mid air. Then there are durability problems with parts that are not beefed up enough.

Smaller indoor tracks are a different story. The lighter rig seems to be an advantage getting in and out of turns quicker and accelerating faster. Speeds are lower making durability a lesser concern. This will be debated till the end times, but there are certain circumstances that call for a heavy and strong rig.

This truck seems to be the best of the class across the board. Great design that stands the test of time with so little change. I pre ordered this truck even though I have decked out 2.0s now. Look forward to the 3.0 and I'm hopeful lap times make me feel good about owning it. I do wish it came with all the goodies though..... clamping hex, aluminum diff inserts and such. I know, keeping price down and all that crap. Just something else we have to upgrade. Hey got to complain about something

Hope there are some beefed up diff washers hiding in the box? Maybe some aluminum cross shafts in the diffs?
Old 07-23-2016, 04:24 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by GettinLapped
Truck should be dialed indoors but the weight is a concern for outdoors. Every track I race is low bite and blown out and the heavier/wider cars seem to be the ticket.
Easier to add weight if you want it rather than take it away.
Old 07-23-2016, 05:33 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Callaway
Easier to add weight if you want it rather than take it away.
Plus put it where you want it.
Old 07-23-2016, 05:55 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Thunder Trail
However, this less wt theory has been dismissed many times. Less weight is not always the right tool for the job.
less weight will ALWAYS be faster, the only real concern here is durability. Even with unlimited motor power a heavier truck could never be as fast because tire efficiency decreases with weight. Of course you have to differentiate between sprung and unsprung weight. Some people at my track have lightened their 1/8th scale buggies to below 3kg and it was very hard to find a decent setup due to the bad ratio of sprung to unsprung weight.
Old 07-23-2016, 06:54 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Heavier weight is better on outdoor for sure.

I'm surprised the shocks weren't bigger like the Tekno's.
Old 07-23-2016, 10:34 AM
Tech Rookie

The problem for me isn't really weight, it's the lack of stability and travel the suspension has to negotiate large ruts and jumps, especially on blown out tracks. Some of us can't even go a decent lap without the car chassis slapping or wobbling over bumps and jumps.
Old 07-23-2016, 05:32 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Shock bore will not help with this? SCTE has plenty of shock travel as we normally take out droop. Lower CG is always a good thing. Adding weight is always easy as you an just add chunks of brass or lead to the chassis however taking weight out is usually more expensive. I have not run the truck outdoors in wind stiff enough to really mess up this truck. There is a ton more control with the SCTE over the 2wd SC's. If the wind is strong enough for that video weight is not the answer. For rough tracks a shock setup for rough track will need to be developed if that track is that blown out.
Old 07-23-2016, 05:46 PM
Tech Master

Frank, I see there is a spacer/shim TLR232053 between the diff pinion bearings, like a crush sleeve on full size cars. I use a MIP part this way on my 2.0s and it seems to make bearings last longer. Is that the purpose for these? Are they aluminum or plastic?

Any changes to gear boxes or diff cases? Tighter tolerances?

In your experience with these new trucks do the ring and pinion gears need to be shimmed same as we have done in the past?
Old 07-23-2016, 06:00 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

They are alum crush spacers just like we use in the hubs of our 2wd cars and same as what MIP was doing. You are correct it is intended to increase the life of the pinion bearings.
Old 07-25-2016, 10:01 AM
TLRacing

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Old 07-25-2016, 10:03 AM
TLRacing

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JPMRC
I think Maifield is running a standard 2.0 shock setup. I was browsing one of ROAR's photo galleries on facebook for the seeding rounds, and saw Joe Pillars working on a 3.0 (Probably Maifield's) with regular 2.0 shocks.

I can't post links yet as this is only my 3rd post.
He's definitely not running 2.0 shocks. See below... straight of the track from his Q4 TQ run text to me by Jason Ruona....
Attached Thumbnails TLR SCTE 3.0 Thread-2016-07-25_100210.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.