Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What 1/8th Buggy to get ?????

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2005, 11:46 AM
Tech Adept

Default What 1/8th Buggy to get ?????

I've raced buggies before with the OFNA 9.5 pro, but I''m looking at getting a new buggy and was wondering about some pro and cons on a couple that I was looking at.

Xray XB8: do they make a torsion diff for the center of this buggy ?

Jammin X1 CR Pro:

Thunder Tiger TTR EB3:

These are the ones I have been looking at, any hands on experience would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 11-13-2005, 11:54 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)

I dont know anyone who runs a torsen diff, I would just go all regular diffs all the way around. I'd say go with the Jammin personally. My first buggy was also a 9.5 pro and I think its still a decent buggy. Althou the xray seems to be gaining populartity around my area
Old 11-13-2005, 12:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Out of the three you mentioned I only have extensive experience with one, the Thunder Tiger. I have driven the other two and I did like them. The X-Ray is very smooth and responsive to changes. So are the other two. The problems I have seen are mainly with the Jammin and the X-Ray. Both companies have since fixxed they're problems and are supposed to be alot better now.

My personal preference on all of these is the TTR S3. They don't offer a race kit like the other two companies do, you have to get all the option parts seperate. That can be good in places but not so good in others. Most people will tell you to go with the flat chassis with the TTR but that's a load of crap in my opinion. I am still driving the delta box chassis and having very good luck with it. The tracks that I run on are very rough. Some of the potholes on the track are deep enough to lose a monster truck, and my TTR as well as the other ones around here work just fine with the regular chassis. There are also a few guys, including myself, using the stock shocks.

It's definatley not the car that's holding me back in my 1/8 scale driving. This year I had lots of engine issues but when the engine worked, the car was near flawless. The only thing I broke was two pivot blocks. And those were on pretty nasty crashes.
Old 11-13-2005, 06:16 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

fastrcracer - Where do you race? I see you are from Louisville? Have you been racing at Deanos in Elizabethtown?

I run a track that is south of Indianapolis. Most everyone here has gone to the Kyosho 777-SP2. It likes the rough a lot more than the other buggies we have ran at our track. The Jammin seems good too but guys have had trouble with outdrives and universals wearing a little quickly. They have also had trouble with leaky shocks. I don't know if there was a run of bad parts or what.

The Xray and Kyosho drivetrains seem to last the longest with the Mugen not too far behind. For me the Kyosho is the most fun to drive and easiest to set up. The Xray is a dream to build but difficult to set up and the handling is just not on par yet with Jammin, Kyosho, or Mugen. Xtreme RC did a really good 1/8 shoot out a couple of months back (Sept. 2005 issue). It did a really good job of comparing the different buggies. The Kyosho SP2 was not in it, but the SP1 is and the SP2 is a lot better.
Old 11-13-2005, 06:19 PM
Tech Master

Sorry I forgot to mention about the torsen. I believe any torsen made for a Mugen will fit the Xray, but I advise you to stay away from the torsens unless you are running in Europe. They are inconsistent on US tracks due to different surfaces and track layouts than the Europeans run on.
Old 11-13-2005, 07:30 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Hyper 7`

HYPER 7. I race with mugens and x-rays and jammins the hyper is always right there beside all of them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-14-2005, 12:19 AM
Tech Addict

good pro buggies:

1.Mugen $850-1290AUD
2.Kyosho sp2 $1200AUD
3.Jammin X1CR $650-$850AUD
4.Caster ZX-1 Pro $800AUD New buggy from Casterracing
5.Hobao Hyper8 estimated at $800AUD
6. X-ray XB8 $1225AUD

thats a list of what i think are the best but spending 1200 is not neccessary, Jammin X1CR,Caster zx-1 pro,Mugen MBX5 semi pro ver. are just as good to race with and it ll save you a load, and will leave you with cash for an engine for e.g.
Old 11-14-2005, 11:27 AM
Tech Adept

WindellMC,

I raced the buggy I had almost two years ago in Cincy and at Planetrc in Indy.
I haven't raced offroad in about a year and a half now. I been down to Deanos a few times. Some buddies run trucks there and I might run a few times in the future. I've heard that the track in Mitchel, IN has starting running nitro if there is enough people show on Saturday evenings indoor.

Thanks for all the replies !!
Old 11-14-2005, 12:20 PM

Go with the buggy that most ppl run at your track. That way u can get stup help, tuning, etc and parts....
Old 11-14-2005, 01:56 PM
Tech Master

Mitchell is really too small for mod electric. I would forget about racing 1/8 there. You would be better off driving to Planet or Columbus, OH for indoor nitro.
Old 11-14-2005, 04:04 PM
Tech Regular

I have raced and my Dad still races his Jammin.Jammin pro is a really nice 1/8 scale.I would pick it over all except a SP2.I have a 777 sp2 now and it is planted.

I would pick the Jammin X-1 CR Pro or Kyosho MP777 SP2.SP2 is kinda $$$$$$$.The Jammin is in a way better because of what you get in one package really.

Good Luck
Old 11-15-2005, 03:23 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Kyosho all the way man.
Old 11-15-2005, 04:49 PM
Tech Regular

I would lean to the 777 most likely though.