Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree485Likes

Yokomo YZ-2

Hide Wikipost
Old 11-11-2021, 01:35 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: Yokomo YZ-2
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: lexusbest
Welcome to the YZ2 Wiki!

Features for the lastest specification YZ-2DTM3.1
  • Long specification for dirt Main chassis Inheriting the chassis cut of dirt specification, it is longer with the same wheelbase as CAL3.
  • Aluminum front suspension mount.
  • Z2-DTM2B F2 body.
  • JConcepts ASTRO High Clearance 7inch Wing.
Features for the lastest specification YZ-2CAL3.1
  • Long specification main chassis for carpets. Long wheelbase that enables even higher speeds.
  • Steel front suspension mount.
  • Z2-DTMBL S2 Lightweight body.
  • Z2-CAL2W LMR Wing.
Common features for the lastest specification YZ-2DTM3.1 / YZ-2CAL3.1
  • The conventional position and the position of the suspension arm pin 1 mm higher can be selected on the front and back of the front suspension mount.
  • Bulkhead integrated side plate with increased rigidity.
  • The kingpin position has been changed with the new steering hub carrier, the axle position has been lengthened by 1 mm, and a steering stopper has also been added.
  • Battery holder that is easy to adjust according to the height of the battery.
  • Separate the rear mount base and upper arm holder to increase the flex around the rear and improve traction.
  • Z2-018-5 5-hole shock mounting specification Rear shock tower.
  • S4-S1S 3.0mm shaft specification front shock.
  • S4-S1M 3.0mm shaft specification rear short shock.
  • S4-008R5B L5 / LD Rear suspension arm (Φ3.5 pin).
  • Z2-01069 Rear universal shaft (69mm bone).

Setup Sheets can be found here

DT CA DTM parts comparison

YZ2T Tranny Conversion List

YOKZ2-300RFT
YOKZ2-302CT
YOKZ2-302T
YOKZ2-304T
YOKZ2-503I
YOKZ2-0023

CAL3 manual
DTM3 manual

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2016, 11:14 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by wstuart
Ive got the old yz2 4 gear that i race in 17.5 on high bite clay. I havnt raced in a year. I loved the car but wanted just a little more forward bite. Will the 3 gear give me that extra forward bite?

I drove my buddies dt tonight. Had great grip but didnt quite have the corner speed im used to.
The physics suggests, yes, you would get more forward momentum, however if its the wheels spinning thats causing poor forward bite, it wont help. The trouble is that it will be such a small difference it would be hard to detect especially run 17.5.
Old 06-02-2016, 11:31 AM
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Ive got the old yz2 4 gear that i race in 17.5 on high bite clay. I havnt raced in a year. I loved the car but wanted just a little more forward bite. Will the 3 gear give me that extra forward bite?

I drove my buddies dt tonight. Had great grip but didnt quite have the corner speed im used to.
It can help. The trick on the "old" car is to run softer rear springs to allow the weight to transfer while you get on the gas. Too often I see cars that don't move at all. I was running as low as a 1.8 lb spring in the rear.

High bite clay is also where I race, so take a look at my latest Yz2 3 gear setup.
Old 06-02-2016, 07:06 PM
JAE
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Randy - what is your front spring rate and weight oil you are using front and rear? Thx
Originally Posted by Randy_Pike
It can help. The trick on the "old" car is to run softer rear springs to allow the weight to transfer while you get on the gas. Too often I see cars that don't move at all. I was running as low as a 1.8 lb spring in the rear.

High bite clay is also where I race, so take a look at my latest Yz2 3 gear setup.
Old 06-02-2016, 11:15 PM
Tech Adept

If you buy the 3 gear DT version car, yes! If you buy the 3 gear CA car, no, I guess it will be even worse than the old 4 gear car then.
If the grip is there, the corner speed can be dialed in.

Will the 3 gear give me that extra forward bite?

Old 06-02-2016, 11:29 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

MM3 – Mid Motor, 3-Gear
This was the first orientation for most early Mid Motor conversions. It is still suitable for cars running on a high grip surface eg. artificial turf and carpet style tracks.

The rotation of the motor is in the opposite direction to the rotation of the wheels. The torque of the motor is in opposition to the rotation of the motor and is ‘aimed’ in front of the motor. This causes the rear end to squat very little under acceleration and provides very little mechanical grip unless there is already sufficient grip from the tyres. Thus forward traction is not as high as MM4. The car’s weight distribution is also more biased towards the front than in RM configurations. The car will also tend to jump with a more level attitude than in RM configurations.
Old 06-03-2016, 03:29 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Apologies if this has been asked before...

I just ordered the DT to run at my local track, SDRC. A lot of people seem to be doing the lay down transmissions in the B5 and Losi 3.0. Can the CA lay down transmission be installed in the DT? If so, what parts are needed?

Thanks!
Old 06-03-2016, 07:31 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by WillS
MM3 – Mid Motor, 3-Gear
This was the first orientation for most early Mid Motor conversions. It is still suitable for cars running on a high grip surface eg. artificial turf and carpet style tracks.

The rotation of the motor is in the opposite direction to the rotation of the wheels. The torque of the motor is in opposition to the rotation of the motor and is ‘aimed’ in front of the motor. This causes the rear end to squat very little under acceleration and provides very little mechanical grip unless there is already sufficient grip from the tyres. Thus forward traction is not as high as MM4. The car’s weight distribution is also more biased towards the front than in RM configurations. The car will also tend to jump with a more level attitude than in RM configurations.

That is correct. Four gear will always have more grip than three. The weight transfer is to the rear with four gear on power
Old 06-08-2016, 03:22 AM
Tech Adept

I've just bought a used original YZ-2 and I've been searching the thread for setup info. I'm already planning to get a ball diff to run on clay and the machined shock pistons. Anything else to consider? What gearing are people going with for 17.5t Is the Exotek direct spur mount a good upgrade for 17.5t? Thanks.
Old 06-08-2016, 09:13 AM
Team Tekin

Originally Posted by JAE
Randy - what is your front spring rate and weight oil you are using front and rear? Thx
Check it out.
Attached Thumbnails Yokomo YZ-2-randy-pike-yz2-3-gear-track-time-hobies-setup.jpg  
Old 06-08-2016, 09:15 AM
Team Tekin

Originally Posted by rbk1115
Apologies if this has been asked before...

I just ordered the DT to run at my local track, SDRC. A lot of people seem to be doing the lay down transmissions in the B5 and Losi 3.0. Can the CA lay down transmission be installed in the DT? If so, what parts are needed?

Thanks!
IT should be able to, yes. You'll need the trans, idler, shock tower, and shock tower spacer I believe.
Old 06-08-2016, 09:17 AM
Team Tekin

Originally Posted by HYPA
I've just bought a used original YZ-2 and I've been searching the thread for setup info. I'm already planning to get a ball diff to run on clay and the machined shock pistons. Anything else to consider? What gearing are people going with for 17.5t Is the Exotek direct spur mount a good upgrade for 17.5t? Thanks.
I'd suggest a few sets of the Yatabe springs to be ready to adjust to your track conditions.

I run the Factory RC Avid/Sheele slipper eliminator on mine and it works well in 17.5 no issue.
Old 06-08-2016, 04:17 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Randy_Pike
I'd suggest a few sets of the Yatabe springs to be ready to adjust to your track conditions.

I run the Factory RC Avid/Sheele slipper eliminator on mine and it works well in 17.5 no issue.
Thanks! I was looking at the Kyosho springs but damn they're expensive. Anyone know what Yokomo spring is similar to the Kyosho white?
Old 06-08-2016, 06:10 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 81 (100%+)

I believe it is Orange.
Old 06-08-2016, 06:32 PM
Team Tekin

Kraig is correct
Old 06-08-2016, 09:13 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Kraig
I believe it is Orange.
Thanks. Is there any reason why I should go for the Kyosho over the Yok/AE springs? Are they worth the cost?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.