Like Tree21Likes

Choosing between the B74 or 22x-4

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2020, 10:16 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Default Choosing between the B74 or 22x-4

Hi all,

Ive been off and on this hobby for the last 20 years. Been debating to get the B74 or wait for the 22x-4. Looking for opinions and thoughts between the two. Thanks!
Old 01-19-2020, 12:58 PM
Super Moderator

The B74 is very much in decline at my (indoor clay) track, in general it has been a very twitchy and difficult to drive car just like the Yokomo 4WD that it copied its design from. The TLR car that is similar in design to the XB4 and B64 will almost certainly be a better car on dirt, and a better car for 13.5.

I am finally getting my B74 to the point where it's easier to drive, and the car is very durable and easy to work on, but there's a ton of used B74s for sale for a reason. Lots of locals here have gotten rid of them in favor of XB4s or to wait for the 22-X4, some have even just sold their 74s and went back to the 64. If you do decide to get a B74, save yourself some cash and pick one up used for cheap.
Phat-Boy and Rcdad42 like this.
Old 01-19-2020, 03:14 PM
Tech Initiate

Or the Schumacher l1 evo!
RazorRC likes this.
Old 01-19-2020, 04:35 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

Originally Posted by b1narych0ice
The B74 is very much in decline at my (indoor clay) track, in general it has been a very twitchy and difficult to drive car just like the Yokomo 4WD that it copied its design from. The TLR car that is similar in design to the XB4 and B64 will almost certainly be a better car on dirt, and a better car for 13.5.

I am finally getting my B74 to the point where it's easier to drive, and the car is very durable and easy to work on, but there's a ton of used B74s for sale for a reason. Lots of locals here have gotten rid of them in favor of XB4s or to wait for the 22-X4, some have even just sold their 74s and went back to the 64. If you do decide to get a B74, save yourself some cash and pick one up used for cheap.
I race on an outdoor wet dirt track and my B74 is dialed with a center gear diff.

Remember the 22-X4 has a lighter chassis.... think how twitchy that buggy would be without putting a lot of weight on it to calm it down. I have the TLR Elite 2wd and on a wet dirt track it is pretty super twitchy compared to my old B6.1. The B6.1 you can numb it out easily.
Old 01-20-2020, 07:38 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

I switched to the PR Racing 401R from the TEKNO EB410 on turf and that made a big difference for me where the 401R shares similar geometry with the B74. I have seen several B74 drivers do extremely well on both turf and wet dirt tracks in my area, it's a very competitive platform, my only concern is that the B74 tends to snap front drive shafts from time to time... I personally would like to see an update from AE before I'd be willing to get one... I haven't seen the 22X4 in action yet, so no telling what (if any) issues need to be addressed with that platform. In the mean time, I'm going to stay with my 401R which is working very well for me
Old 01-20-2020, 10:36 AM
Tech Regular

Thanks for the input. Pretty hard to make a comparison when the 22x-4 isn't out yet. Debating getting a used B74 that can save me over $100 vs waiting for the TLR and paying full price.
Old 01-21-2020, 07:14 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Yuendawg
Thanks for the input. Pretty hard to make a comparison when the 22x-4 isn't out yet. Debating getting a used B74 that can save me over $100 vs waiting for the TLR and paying full price.
Well, like any new kit, best thing to do is wait just a little more (since it’s literally less than 2 weeks away) and see what people think of it. I’m sure people will have this on track within a week of receiving it.
Old 01-21-2020, 07:44 AM
mes
Tech Elite

You can't really go wrong with either. As I used to have one and have the other I am surprised to read about the B74 and 22 5.0 Elite being twitchy. Today's kits offer uncountable set-up options, and this can be an issue. Copying a pro's set-up will give you the tool that allows a skilled driver to compete with the best out there, which may not be for everyone. This is why it is important to learn the basics and adjust the car to your needs, not somebody else's. Sorry if I sound like a smart ass, but I am passionate about adjusting our club members' cars to their requirements.
If you've been out of the hobby for a while or not interested in the set-up part, a car with less options is not necessarily a bad thing. From what I saw in the manual, the TLR's design is simpler, which gives you a lighter car with less adjustability, but I bet still more than enough. Another plus on the TLR side is Frank Root. He is a real gem and will share the knowledge he is allowed to with the community also on rctech.
Old 01-21-2020, 11:52 AM
Tech Addict

Indoor clay, sold my b74 for eb410.2. I'm faster with the Tekno. Only upgrades are +1 hex in front, for AE rims and all aluminum Steering (just a preference).
Teknewbee likes this.
Old 01-21-2020, 01:58 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

22X-4 got delayed until March at the earliest, so that kinda only leaves you with one option at this point...

Last edited by RazorRC; 01-21-2020 at 03:40 PM.
Old 01-21-2020, 03:35 PM
Tech Regular

Saw that on the 22x thread. Bummer... I was leaning that way.
Old 01-21-2020, 06:25 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Yuendawg
Hi all,

Ive been off and on this hobby for the last 20 years. Been debating to get the B74 or wait for the 22x-4. Looking for opinions and thoughts between the two. Thanks!
Honest question here. Why would you want to buy a car that is inferior in quality for the same $? Why not buy an XB4? Yes I know the parts are more expensive. But if you’re a half way decent driver you’re not going to break much stuff. Other than if your local hobby shop only stocks losi and ae, what’s the upside to getting those cars?
Teknewbee likes this.
Old 01-21-2020, 07:20 PM
Tech Adept

I went with the Tekno EB410.2 as well. I just finished it and have only had it at the track once with the kit setup basically except for the +1 wheel hexes (for my Associated wheels), aluminum servo horn, and the included +1 rear diff. shim and let me tell you I was as fast as I ever was with my B64.😁
Old 01-21-2020, 07:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mes
You can't really go wrong with either. As I used to have one and have the other I am surprised to read about the B74 and 22 5.0 Elite being twitchy.
Base on my experience racing in an outdoor wet dirt track. The B74 can be setup to be super easy to drive in this track by using a center gear diff. I love it since it retains its agility and aggressiveness when you use the center gear diff. The TLR Elite however is different. i bet the buggy is designed for indoor tracks reason it drives well in it. Racing it outdoor is a different experience. I am still playing with setups to get it right and easy to drive at my track. I am faster with it compared to when I was racing with a B6.1 but I cannot be consistent with it. I am tempted to go back to "ALL AE" and sell this buggy and get the B6.2D .... we will see.

But going back to the OP.... if you race indoor... any of these buggies is perfect for it. If you race outdoor in a wet dirt track... I for one can testify that the B74 is amazing with a center gear diff. (if you are an aggressive driver). One of the guys I race with sold his B74 after a week complaining it was too twitchy for him and went to the Tekno EB10.2. ( This guy came from 1/8 buggies)
Old 02-09-2020, 08:36 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by rcgod
Honest question here. Why would you want to buy a car that is inferior in quality for the same $? Why not buy an XB4? Yes I know the parts are more expensive. But if you’re a half way decent driver you’re not going to break much stuff. Other than if your local hobby shop only stocks losi and ae, what’s the upside to getting those cars?
Even if you are a pro, parts still wear out, and need to be replaced. Add in not a lot of places state side carry a lot of x ray parts in stock compared to tlr/ae. So if something breaks, it's not only more expensive but you can be without a working car for longer.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.