Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree108Likes

Team Associated T5M Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2016, 04:15 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

What wind is everybody using for mod in this truck?
Old 09-08-2016, 04:17 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 109 (100%+)

6.5t
Old 09-08-2016, 07:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by LOW ET
6.5t
Braaaap! I'm afraid to put a 6.5 in mine! lol Not setup for me yet. With traction, she's fast enough with a 10.5 and I'd probably be faster with a 13.5! lol Truck is a huge transition from the T4 I'm so used to. Loving it though
Old 09-09-2016, 02:10 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 112 (100%+)

Originally Posted by LOW ET
6.5t
Holy flaming stadium truck!

I would say 7.5t unless your a pro level driver who never crashes.
Old 09-09-2016, 05:51 AM
Tech Regular

Yeah I'm thinking 8.5 for outdoors. I race a few indoor tracks a year, but am thinking an 8.5 should be plenty.

I have a 6.5 in Mod 4wd and it is stupid fast.
Old 09-09-2016, 06:59 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Go 6.5 . you can always turn down the power with the transmitter. when you get used to it. You can increase the power.
Old 09-09-2016, 11:56 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by DustinEich
Yeah I'm thinking 8.5 for outdoors. I race a few indoor tracks a year, but am thinking an 8.5 should be plenty.

I have a 6.5 in Mod 4wd and it is stupid fast.
8.5 is a good choice IMO. I used to up the pinion and turn down the epa and run a 6.5 everywhere. These days I find doing that often leaves you driving in the beginning part of the trigger pull, rather than having the full range of the trigger at your disposal. Most likely b/c everybody will almost always go with more motor (epa) than they need. Meaning, they (I) never chose by practicing and defining what was "fastest" with lap-times. I just put it where it didn't feel stupid fast on the track, and didn't look slower than the other trucks.

Since you already have a 6.5, it would be interesting if you could do a practice day and run both the 6.5 and the 8.5 and compare them over a bunch of laps. But they have to be timed. How they "feel" is useless without times to prove what you actually did the best with.
Old 09-09-2016, 12:03 PM
Tech Elite

I read somebody mention turning down the steering epa the other day. I've never had a truck I felt steered too much, only 1/12 scales! But I haven't had time to play with the setup on the T5, so decided to try it.

First try was yesterday, and gained a lap. Turned it down about the same amount again today, and it felt like I'm used to a truck feeling. Stayed off the tubes, and gained another lap. The truck has so much potential, just need to find some wrenching time to go through it and start making changes and see how good it can really be.

Is it just me, or do these new trucks seem to accelerate faster than the T4 based trucks? Thing just seems like a smooth rocket.
Old 09-09-2016, 12:36 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by jbrow1
8.5 is a good choice IMO. I used to up the pinion and turn down the epa and run a 6.5 everywhere. These days I find doing that often leaves you driving in the beginning part of the trigger pull, rather than having the full range of the trigger at your disposal. Most likely b/c everybody will almost always go with more motor (epa) than they need. Meaning, they (I) never chose by practicing and defining what was "fastest" with lap-times. I just put it where it didn't feel stupid fast on the track, and didn't look slower than the other trucks.

Since you already have a 6.5, it would be interesting if you could do a practice day and run both the 6.5 and the 8.5 and compare them over a bunch of laps. But they have to be timed. How they "feel" is useless without times to prove what you actually did the best with.
Yeah, I don't like to tune with the Tx either, it makes the throttle curve feel un-natural... I think I will give the 8.5 a try there is no doubt the 6.5 would be great indoors, but i am confident it won't be the ticket outdoors.
Old 09-10-2016, 07:36 AM
Tech Elite

What's the favorite battery style for the t5m? I'm running a saddle pack right now, works well. I'm not current on all the batt configurations these days.
Old 09-10-2016, 10:20 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)

For me it's shorty packs only, end of discussion. Need more weight, add it.
Old 09-10-2016, 11:18 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by G the Menace
For me it's shorty packs only, end of discussion. Need more weight, add it.
I'll be looking into that. I had bought a saddle pack for an ae wheeler that I didn't end up running, so was just sitting around. I probably wouldn't have picked up the T5 had I not had a battery to work with it. Now it's time to try some different configurations.

Couple more questions..

Can I get 0* antisquat? I run rough outdoor tracks and don't feel like I need the 1* it has.

The dang truck keeps wanting to nose land jumps, and cartwheels if I don't pre-load the suspension by letting off then goosing it up the face. Recommended change? I've raised rear ride height, didn't help. THere's no drag brake at all, so that's not it. At this point I've just adapted my driving around it. The truck will kill my times with my T4 once I get this problem figured out!

Any recommendations on 30mm fans for the motor? Already got the waterfall, just need to pick up a fan now.
Old 09-10-2016, 11:53 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by jbrow1
I'll be looking into that. I had bought a saddle pack for an ae wheeler that I didn't end up running, so was just sitting around. I probably wouldn't have picked up the T5 had I not had a battery to work with it. Now it's time to try some different configurations.

Couple more questions..

Can I get 0* antisquat? I run rough outdoor tracks and don't feel like I need the 1* it has.

The dang truck keeps wanting to nose land jumps, and cartwheels if I don't pre-load the suspension by letting off then goosing it up the face. Recommended change? I've raised rear ride height, didn't help. THere's no drag brake at all, so that's not it. At this point I've just adapted my driving around it. The truck will kill my times with my T4 once I get this problem figured out!

Any recommendations on 30mm fans for the motor? Already got the waterfall, just need to pick up a fan now.
Try a heavier shock oil in the rear....
Old 09-10-2016, 04:26 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)

IMO you want go heavy oil or stiffer spring in front to keep the nose up. Blip the throttle after you get of the face of the jump to bring the front up, giving it throttle with thicker rear oil will raise the rear and drop the front end, IMO.
Old 09-11-2016, 05:30 PM
Tech Elite

Thanks for the input guys. I just cranked the rear spring collars down as far as they'd go, and it was the first time the truck has even thought about jumping level.. Stock setup. Rough, loamy track, not typical for any setups you see today..

What reasons do folks go to kyosho or other brand springs, are they longer?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.