Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes

VBC Racing Firebolt DM 2WD buggy kit

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2014, 02:13 PM
Tech Apprentice

Everything about This car screams quality on paper and also when you build it. I got 2 new bulkheads to try out tomorrow. If it holds up and perform I am a happy camper. If not I am going X-ray, while waiting for a d215. :-)
Old 11-15-2014, 03:28 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Randy_Pike
One thing about this car is the plastics are extremely stiff, no flex or nearly none. So the car can't absorb some of the hits and this type of breakage can occur.

I'm confident the VBC guys are watching the forums and absorbing all the input.
Im fully expecting a reinforced or reformulated plastic bulkheads to be introduced soon, they are pretty good about getting the updates out, just like the idler gears.
Old 11-16-2014, 11:07 AM
Tech Apprentice

Second time at the track with my firebolt today. I got about 10 laps before an idle gear stripped. No biggie, was expecting that, but maybe not so soon :-)
Tore the gearbox apart, cleaned out all the plastic bits in there and mounted the aluminium gears. Run about 5 packs and the car handled really good! Nothing broke! Horay!
After analysing last weeks wreck I glued the lower bulkhead together with the center bulkhead. This will hopefully stress the area around bulkhead holes less. See image.

We are running on carpet with slicks here in Sweden during the winter.
I was using mostly stock setup with 35 wt Ass oil in front and 32.5 in the rear.
I use a Yokomo geardiff, that fit right in. I also mounted the brass arm mount for some more steering. Going to do some more tuning next week. But this car drives fantastic right out of the box.
Attached Thumbnails VBC Racing Firebolt DM 2WD buggy kit-photo.jpg   VBC Racing Firebolt DM 2WD buggy kit-photo-copy.jpg  
Old 11-16-2014, 07:18 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Running the car on med/low bite clay. Took about 3 packs before the filers went, car is still way quite withthe aluminum gears. I had an eclip in one of the shock bodies come off no biggie most likely builder error. I actually got the rear arm caught on a pipe nail and it broke the head off the screw that holds the lower XR mount on and the mount slipped off, kinda crazy thing lol. Switched to the carbon chassis for 17.5 class. First night took the win in exp 17.5 buggy at my local track. No issues with bulkheads yet. Super happy with the car so far.
Old 11-17-2014, 09:20 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Dove mine for first time yesterday and Wow it handles nice . I did hit a pipe with hole in the dirt so wheel really got caught and I broke the front arm mount I might get aluminum one next . also I spaced lower rear shock mount with a 2mm washer but all full compression it rubs on inner rear wheel , might have to go with 1mm spacing
Old 11-17-2014, 07:47 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Anyone have an issue getting the the screws to go threw the bearings with the aluminum steering rack? I can't for the life of me get the screws threw the bearings.
Old 11-17-2014, 09:39 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Kas10Racing
Anyone have an issue getting the the screws to go threw the bearings with the aluminum steering rack? I can't for the life of me get the screws threw the bearings.
Can't say that I had any issues. Post some pictures of what you're having trouble with.
Old 11-18-2014, 07:13 AM
Tech Regular

The front and bottom bulkheads are weak-sauce on this kit. It, besides the idler gears are the only issues I've had with the car. Excellent steering and control. I've been running it on medium grip indoor clay with great results.

I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned this but 22-2 aluminum idler gears are a direct fit and actually make the car a touch quicker.

I love the car but I'm having a superb issue with parts support here in the US. As a result I'm going to continue running the Firebolt but make it my number 2 until I can get consistent parts support here. VBC needs to step up the distribution network and availability.

Old 11-18-2014, 09:11 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Originally Posted by likea45
I love the car but I'm having a superb issue with parts support here in the US. As a result I'm going to continue running the Firebolt but make it my number 2 until I can get consistent parts support here. VBC needs to step up the distribution network and availability.
Please let us know if you have any issues with parts support at [email protected] We currently have stock of every FireboltDM part. You can also buy parts at:

www.discountrcstore.com
www.superiorhobbies.com

As far as the front bulkheads, VBC Racing is very aware of the issue. Newly updated parts and materials as well as an aluminum version are supposed to be available in December.
Old 11-18-2014, 09:18 AM
mes
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Troy Mckune

As far as the front bulkheads, VBC Racing is very aware of the issue. Newly updated parts and materials as well as an aluminum version are supposed to be available in December.
That sounds excellent! I was starting to doubt my decision to get another FBolt for my son for xmas, but VBC's way of promptly dealing with such issues just made my day!
Of course it would be much better not to experience such problems at all, but as the FBolt ist VBC's first off-road kit ever, I am willing to cut them some slack.
Old 11-18-2014, 09:33 AM
Tech Elite

I had a similar issue when trying to remove one of the screws. It seems very tight. Not sure what can be done since they are bearings and metric screws.
Old 11-18-2014, 10:08 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Attention Firebolt DM owners. VBC Racing is providing replacement aluminum idler gears for all Firebolt DM kits. Send an email to [email protected] with your name, address, and proof of purchase and we will ship you a set of aluminum idler gears.

Old 11-18-2014, 11:17 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by WagwanBumba
Can't say that I had any issues. Post some pictures of what you're having trouble with.

The calipers arnt the most accurate, but the problem is clear.
Also incase anyone was wondering, a full size servo does work with an inline battery, its just a little tight.
Attached Thumbnails VBC Racing Firebolt DM 2WD buggy kit-imag0393%5B1%5D.jpg   VBC Racing Firebolt DM 2WD buggy kit-imag0397%5B1%5D.jpg   VBC Racing Firebolt DM 2WD buggy kit-imag0396%5B1%5D.jpg   VBC Racing Firebolt DM 2WD buggy kit-imag0403%5B1%5D.jpg   VBC Racing Firebolt DM 2WD buggy kit-imag0386%5B1%5D.jpg  

Old 11-18-2014, 12:13 PM
mes
Tech Elite

The calipers arnt the most accurate, but the problem is clear.
Also incase anyone was wondering, a full size servo does work with an inline battery, its just a little tight.
Must be the wrong bearings, I did not have any such issues with my steering rack. However, my rear hexes came with too small screws; no biggie, had some correct ones in my box.
Old 11-18-2014, 12:47 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by mes
Must be the wrong bearings, I did not have any such issues with my steering rack. However, my rear hexes came with too small screws; no biggie, had some correct ones in my box.
Yea I'll pick up another set of bearings to try, no complaints about the plastic one for now. I also boiled my spare bulkhead to soften it a bit, but I haven't had any problems with the original yet either.

Last edited by Kas10Racing; 11-18-2014 at 01:04 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.