Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Motor temperature stickers?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2014, 04:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I think 59535K14 is very similar to these for less.
Old 03-17-2014, 04:48 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rcjunky1
Bingo
Old 03-17-2014, 05:47 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rcjunky1
+1. Definitely want to use the labels on the right side of the posted McMaster page. You could use the 59535K13 and 59535K14 side by side if there's enough room on the motor, and have a range of 86 to 194 F. I guess that might only matter in onroad, where some classes you only want the motor to be in the 130 range, not 160. Offroad or escale, if it's under 140, who cares? Just want to know if its 170+ more than anything.
Old 03-17-2014, 06:18 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Hey Guys,

Thanks for checking out the SimpleRC TempStrips. I appreciate the feedback and orders.

I've been an avid electric 8th scale guy since about 2007. Like most products, these were born out of a simple need. That need was being able to easily monitor the temps of my motors without having to pull out a temp gun (which I always seem to leave in the pits). I figured it would be cool to be able to just look at the motor and tell approximately how everything is running.

I spent several months testing a number of designs, ink colors, temperature ranges, strip sizes, etc; including off the shelf ones like those mentioned. While the off the shelf ones are cheaper, they are not nearly as easy to read and they usually aren't quite the right temp ranges and the sizing is usually not optimal for use on RC motors (too tall, too small, too wide, etc). Most were so hard to read when activated, they were virtually worthless for our use in RC cars. The point was to make something that works right for our use in RC Cars, not a cheap generic temp indicator strip.

As you can see in the pictures in the gallery at www.simplerc.com, these TempStrips really light up bright. When the motor is below 100 degrees, it just looks black. As the temperature increases, the boxes light up bright red showing the current temperature. The range is 100 - 195.

They are extremely easy to read even in low light and bright sunshine. The numbers were also made larger for us old guys with poor vision. It is no different from glancing a thermometer. You literally can tell your motor temps with a quick glance. Trust me, when people see them light up on your motor in the pits, it will catch their attention. I spent quite a bit of time working with manufacturing to get the brightest and easiest to read ink. They really work well!

As for Celsius readings, I decided to stick with Fahrenheit for the first run. Trying to put both readings on a single strip made it really hard to read as space is limited and the text too small. I am considering Celsius readings for future versions.

The TempStrips will probably last longer than some racers' motors. Just stick it on and forget it. No need to replace them until the adhesive wears off. With proper care they should last a minimum six months to a year.

The strips were designed for 8th scale and 10th scale motors. I tried to size them so they fit neatly between the heat sinks and motor tabs on the most popular 8th scale motors. They also fit nicely on standard 540 cans.

Give them a shot. You will not be disappointed. Very small investment in the proper care for your expensive toys.

Thanks.

SimpleRC.

Last edited by Edumakated; 03-17-2014 at 06:36 PM.
Old 03-17-2014, 08:44 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jhautz
These stickers change back when it cools down and work over and over again. They reset themselves every run once the motor cools down again.
You don't need to replace it unless it exceeds the max temp range you're comfortable with. But, the fact that the Simple RC ones reset themselves is very cool. Nice looking product Simple RC.