Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IFMAR Offroad Worlds Winner?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2005, 05:17 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

They were running 5 cells to reduce punch. This makes the car easier to drive on slick surfaces. The lower voltage changes the motors powerband.

As said before they had 6 cells in the car but only 5 were connected. They have to do this to meet the minumum weight.
Old 08-14-2005, 05:33 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

A little disappointing turnout for Schumacher eh Adrian? or was nothing panned out for this years worlds? I know Simon and Rich was there with the new Cat but with the design that everyone seemed to go with on the 4wd it would seem to have stuck it out with the Cat3k?
Old 08-14-2005, 07:49 AM
V12
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

On the German forum there was a comment from one of the drivers regarding the 5 cells. It seems there was no grip at all at the track so the 5cell batteries helped a lot. The 6th cell just was used for weight distribution.
Old 08-14-2005, 08:47 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

so, why not just go back and use some old 2400's then?
Seems crazy that the battery companies spend all their time and money developing faster and longer lasting batteries only for us to go take a cell out.

But, I guess whatever works.

Me, I would think just turning the torque right down on your speedo would work.
Old 08-14-2005, 09:05 AM
Tech Master

Yeah and whats the Slipper for?
Old 08-14-2005, 09:05 AM
Tech Elite

I would think the 2400's would have still to much voltage.
Old 08-14-2005, 10:23 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

this wasnt just a normal club race, if you look at the level of driving experience, and think about the suport (electronincs mfg, motor mfg, and car mfg) that was available all week, it seems like adjusting the slipper or speed control probably just wasnt enough, pretty tough group of racers there to second guess....jmo
Old 08-14-2005, 11:26 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Dirt-Racer
Yeah and whats the Slipper for?
Slippers are not designed to be used as a traction control. It was designed to increase the life of the diff. When the rear tires bounce around under heavy acceleration, or under heavy power when landing, if the slipper did not give, people would be rebuilding the diffs 10 times as much. A loose slipper will reduce wheel spin, but when the pads heat up tey will just lock up and this in a very inconsistant feel. Anything beyond 2 foot of slip is hard to be set consistant, in my opinion.
Old 08-14-2005, 11:28 AM
Tech Regular

I remember when trucks were first run, everyone ran 7 cells and 11 turns. Then one day at a high bite track, the 7 cell factory guy was passed by a 6 cell truck and a 10 turn. Way easier to drive fast. I woudl suspect dropping to the 5 cell configuration, just made it way easier to drive fast without loosing much top end at all.
Old 08-14-2005, 12:45 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by T. Thomas
Slippers are not designed to be used as a traction control. It was designed to increase the life of the diff. When the rear tires bounce around under heavy acceleration, or under heavy power when landing, if the slipper did not give, people would be rebuilding the diffs 10 times as much. A loose slipper will reduce wheel spin, but when the pads heat up tey will just lock up and this in a very inconsistant feel. Anything beyond 2 foot of slip is hard to be set consistant, in my opinion.
Far as im concerned Traction control is illegal in rc electric racing period!! And so Slippers were made primarily to limit the amount of torque from the motor onto the tyres not to save the diff which is the most ludicrous thing ive heard in a while. Yeah it does help the diff on the way but thats not what the slipper is for in the first place.
Old 08-14-2005, 01:25 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Dirt Racer,

I agree about traction control being illegal, so wouldn't running 5 cells to limit traction be, by definition illegal??
Old 08-14-2005, 02:19 PM
Tech Master

If you adjust the slipper, you won't get any drive to take the jumps, just won't work, you're not in full control either.

Having raced at that track at last year's off rd Euros, i can understand why they have done this. There is so little traction out there.
Old 08-14-2005, 05:10 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Dirt-Racer
Far as im concerned Traction control is illegal in rc electric racing period!! And so Slippers were made primarily to limit the amount of torque from the motor onto the tyres not to save the diff which is the most ludicrous thing ive heard in a while. Yeah it does help the diff on the way but thats not what the slipper is for in the first place.
Ill go out on a limb and say the primary use for a slipper is to protect the drivetrain and diff.. if you can use it to help keep the wheels on the ground thats great, i personally dont use it for such things, but ive not heard anyone ever say what you just said..
Old 08-14-2005, 05:20 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Why is traction control illegal?

I have not read A ROAR book in awhile, I never thought about it being illegal since no one has built it anyway.

I remember when brushless was illegal.
Old 08-14-2005, 05:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Someone built a traction control system for the '93 Worlds in England. Not sure if it was deemed illegal there or after that race. Things would get a whole lot more expensive and complicated if traction control were legalized.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.