Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Going from AE to Mugen *NEED OPINIONS*

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2013, 02:30 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by MajorKong
The MBX6 doesn't have the off-power steering of some other buggies. I really don't find that to be much of limitation. It is definitely noticeable when compared to an MP9 but unless you are on real small tracks I don't think it will be an issue.

The only reliability issue with the MBX6 is the front upper and lower control arms. They will snap clean off if you hit wrong. Doesn't matter how hot/cold the weather. Keep spares.

Pillow ball steering is better on rough tracks.
what is the reasn for this?

as for the steering we have many little tracks around here (some 1/10 tracks allow 1/8) that's why the steering might be an issue as far as I'm concerned
Old 07-24-2013, 02:57 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Pulse_

as for the steering we have many little tracks around here (some 1/10 tracks allow 1/8) that's why the steering might be an issue as far as I'm concerned
In a pillow ball design the mount is more stable over bumps so your steering and wheel direction is less likely to be affected by them.
Old 07-24-2013, 03:02 PM
Tech Champion

In a pillow ball design the mount is more stable over bumps so your steering and wheel direction is less likely to be affected by them.
ok, even Xray uses pillow balls now:

This is an alternative to Mugen's design made for Savoya for high grip tracks. I prefer c-hubs :P
Old 07-24-2013, 03:06 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

I do the contrary to learn to drive better but with a reasonnable motor. All features set to maximum sensitivity: no expo, minimal neutral width, super fast servo and receiver, good tightened servo saver etc.. You're right if your driving style is set in stone but when you're learning it's good to have this sensitivity. That's why buggy 2wd is a good class to learn, it has steering + a loose rear end. This way you learn throttle control.

It all depends on the driver finally

The kyosho is great but $$$
that's what I drive mainly 2wd buggy

Everyone laughs at me cause I drive my 8th scale like it's a 2wd buggy.
Old 07-24-2013, 03:11 PM
Tech Regular

My MP9's have turn radius's of about 2-3 feet. The MBX6 is more like 4-6 feet without resorting to oversteer and worse if the buggy is pushing bad. If someone's track required a u-turn in a smaller space that would definitely be a consideration.
Old 07-24-2013, 03:20 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Man, it's sounding more and more like he may not like the mbx6 for our tracks. We mainly race two tracks right now. One is a small, tight technical indoor track with high bite. The other is a semi small outdoor track which again is tight and technical, im not sure if still is or not as he changed the layout a couple of weeks ago but either way it was a smaller technical track.

Guys, $$ is an issue here or he would get the Kyosho to try out, he loves Kyosho, he raced onroad for years, he either had a Serpent or Kyosho when racing onroad.
Old 07-24-2013, 03:20 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Bob Barry
that's what I drive mainly 2wd buggy

Everyone laughs at me cause I drive my 8th scale like it's a 2wd buggy.
They shouldn't, buggy 2wd is the best school to learn driving.. AND 1/12th pan cars . I began both categories recently as my main concern is to become a better driver

My MP9's have turn radius's of about 2-3 feet. The MBX6 is more like 4-6 feet without resorting to oversteer and worse if the buggy is pushing bad. If someone's track required a u-turn in a smaller space that would definitely be a consideration.
wow, that's quite a difference! I hope the XB9E steering is ok at least compared to JQ

To the OP -> if he drives on tight tracks I would consider a narrow chassis (tekno, serpent, ..)
Old 07-24-2013, 03:25 PM
Tech Fanatic

They shouldn't, buggy 2wd is the best school to learn driving.. AND 1/12th pan cars . I began both categories recently as my main concern is to become a better driver
+1 on this post and your last post about wanting to learn and become a better driver. I started off with a neutral position of 20 and decided i didn't want to get stuck in that loop, i now run it at 5. I have an RC for every offroad class available around here but i am about to embark on the 1/10 2wd buggy class, i just can't get in to SC trucks, it's a HUGE hackfest around here, the 2wd class is much more civil and gentleman like and i have a TLR22 sitting here ready to rock n roll. I LOVE racing 1/8 scale though, i can't help it, i just love it..

He's not real big on Serpent Offroad either.. He is kind of a hardhead, so im sure he will get the Mugen, run it and decide it's not for him and sell it. He has said that on more than one occasion and he doesn't even the buggy yet lol..
Old 07-24-2013, 03:26 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

if its tight then get one of the purpose built 8th scales. the tekno's turn really well and seem to love those tight tracks. the price is not overly high. I am not a tekno fanboy, but I have talked to a lot of people and most are trying to it to turn less, lol. I have driver their sct, which is converted from their 8th scale and it turns on a dime.
Old 07-24-2013, 03:29 PM
Tech Regular

i also want to move from AE (RC8be) to mugen.
do you think i should wait for the X7 eco or get the x6?
is there really a big difference? any clue on when the x7 eco will be out?
Old 07-24-2013, 03:32 PM
Tech Fanatic

As i already said, Tekno is out, he don't like them... No need to mention other buggies either really, im telling you guys he will wind up getting the Mugen, he needs to get it out of his system. I am just trying to gather some data for him so he knows what to expect. He is not selling his AE so if he dont like it, screw it, he can sell it and go back to what he was running until he finds something esle.

We also know that his driving is part of it to. We don't get near the track time that we should, even then though, he feels he could be faster with a different chassis so i dunno, if hes anything like me, he will get what he wants, try it and go from there, i buy what i like and once i get an itch to do so, there is no stopping me. I just hope he can find a new one.
Old 07-24-2013, 03:33 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by ebay007
i also want to move from AE (RC8be) to mugen.
do you think i should wait for the X7 eco or get the x6?
is there really a big difference? any clue on when the x7 eco will be out?

X6: more planted, easier when pushed hard

X7: more steering so a looser rear end

X7 Eco: not before the end of the year from what a Mugen driver told me but tim bumps makes a conversion
Old 07-24-2013, 03:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

He may want to look into the Sworkz S350 BE1 if he likes the mugen ( is very similar yet different in the right ways), it has tons of steering if need be, it is more durable than the mugens front end.......
Old 07-24-2013, 03:35 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by symmetricon
He may want to look into the Sworkz S350 BE1 if he likes the mugen ( is very similar yet different in the right ways), it has tons of steering if need be, it is more durable than the mugens front end.......
how could I miss the sworkz...

EXCELLENT alternative! it's tight there and you need to make sure the motor fits but I would take it rather than an Eco by miles
Old 07-24-2013, 03:36 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by symmetricon
Oddly enough, he called me a few days ago asking about the sworkz but then he started talking about the Mugen again lol..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.