Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Grinding problem?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 04:55 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Grinding problem?

I just built a Rc8.2e and there is grinding coming from the center diff and possibly the front diff. Could it be that it needs to be shimmed or anything. I tried everything including rebuilding. I am totally puzzled and confused on what to do next.

Thanks,
Jeff
Old 01-22-2013, 05:40 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

remove the driveshafts and turn your center and front diffs with your finger to localize the grinding sound
Old 01-22-2013, 05:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Run it for 2-3 packs, then see if you still hear the sound.
Old 01-22-2013, 06:00 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CHIZZLE
Run it for 2-3 packs, then see if you still hear the sound.
That's what I did with my hpi savage xs ss. When building it the diffs were hardish to turn an they made a bad sound. Finished the car off and did two packs. Took the car apart and felt them. They were smooth. I think that the orignal op just needs to his/her gears broken in.
Old 01-22-2013, 07:22 PM
Tech Initiate

It could be your gear mesh between your spur and clutch bell.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:56 PM
Tech Initiate

Gear mesh is good. I have been messing around with it. I was going try to run a few packs through and see what happens. Associated is sending my extra parts out and should be here friday. I got extra gears,housing and shims just incase.

Thanks for the help guys I appreciate it.
Old 01-22-2013, 11:27 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

I would inspect first before running the buggy.

Identify which diff is making this noise first, this could save you from breaking others parts.
Old 01-23-2013, 01:54 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I just built an RC8.2e kit as well. I had problems with the differentials as well.

The first problem I had is the diffs were VERY hard to turn once assembled. They turned, but they felt very tight. I've heard about this before, so I wasn't too concerned and continued building it anyway.

The second problem I ran in to was with the rear diff housing. Once I put the two shells together and tightened down the screws for the D plate, it ended up being almost completely locked up. The only way I could fix it was to back those screws off a bit to allow the housing to "open" up some, and loosen the mesh between the ring gear and the differential main gear.

I've contacted AE about this and hopefully they will help me out. It works, but it's LOUD. I'm sure after a few packs it will work itself in and be fine, but I'd like to have spare parts in case it doesn't. Shouldn't be having problems like this from a near $500 kit.
Old 01-23-2013, 03:50 AM
Tech Initiate

No there shouldn't be any problems with a $500 kit. I built 1/8th scales before I never had problems. I'm going to tear it down one more time and also redo the gear mesh. I found the front diff is rather noisey and rear diff is actually quiet. The center diff is binding up a little also. I can't afford to give up on it and just throw it on the shelf. lol
Old 01-24-2013, 08:13 PM
Tech Initiate

Problem is fixed. I followed what Sylvain said and fixed the problem right away.
Old 01-24-2013, 09:28 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

What ended up being the issue? After running a few battery packs through mine at the track it ended up quieting right down. Still has a LITTLE noise in the rear diff, but it's getting much better, and it's all the way tight now.
Old 01-25-2013, 06:07 AM
Tech Initiate

Chipped tooth on one of gears in front diff. Also I feel stupid I mounted the front chassis brace in the incorrect location which was rubbing on the driveshaft. In doing that I threw the front ring pinion out of whack which caused a whole mess. Now that the drive shaft is straightly aligned, the front diff is actually really smooth. The thing is quieter then most 1/8 scales electric buggys.