Best buy for <$200 for 11 year old son?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best buy for <$200 for 11 year old son?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2012, 06:53 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Best buy for <$200 for 11 year old son?

Ok, I am real new at this but I know my kid will love this. It does not have to cost $200 on the dot. Should I get a brushless? Exceed has one for this. I dont buy anything with out asking a forum 1st. Thanks
Old 12-11-2012, 06:57 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 97 (100%+)

New or used? Traxxas stampede, Ecx products are nice. Racer or basher
Old 12-11-2012, 07:00 AM
Tech Rookie

I have an area behind my house that backs up to farms that is 400 x 90 I was considering making into a track.
Old 12-11-2012, 07:02 AM
Tech Rookie

I think basher for now. He is 11 and new at it. I will of course use while he is at school.
Old 12-11-2012, 07:07 AM
Tech Rookie

I would go used but I dont know enough. I do love forums for advice. I have seen some used rollers that seemed impressive.
Old 12-11-2012, 07:18 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 97 (100%+)

Ive seen complete rtr brushless trucks with battery and charger go under $200 on here
Old 12-11-2012, 07:26 AM
Tech Rookie

I'll check it out but that Traxxas on youtube. Not freaking if it goes near water would be nice.
Old 12-11-2012, 07:28 AM
Tech Rookie

That Traxxas looked good. No fear of water and upgrade later. I will spend some time on the forum for used.
Old 12-11-2012, 07:28 AM
Tech Adept

Used brushless traxxas would be your best bet imo.

Racers Edge Pro2 1/10 is the only one that I saw that fits your price range and is brushless and new. However, I cannot comment on reliability, performance, and parts support.

If there is any hope of racing in the future I would suggest 2wd short course... No racing I would find anything 4x4 and brushless from a major manufacturer.

Used from a name brand is better than new from a questionable company IMO. Parts support ranks #1 for bashing in my eyes.
Old 12-11-2012, 07:49 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

This is where you really have to know how mature you kid is. I got my first hobby grade r/c for Christmas when I was 8. It was a kit and my father and I spent the next few days building the kit. We took the electronics out of his old Tamiya Rough Rider to get it going. All in all it was probably a couple weeks later before the car was all ready to run. I still remember the last thing that needed done was to paint the body. We laid down several coats of Daytona Yellow, then headed off to grandma's house to keep my mind occupied while it dried. Later that day I got to run my Christmas gift for the first time.

For Christmas when I was 13 my dad got me another kit. This time I wanted nicer stuff electronics wise because it was a car just for the track. So I got the kit for Christmas, and again we spent the next couple days putting it together. It took until my birthday in March of scrimping and saving every bit of money I could to get all the stuff together to have the car ready to hit the track. The deal with my dad always stood, whatever money I could raise, he would match it.

A kit not only taught me how to work on the car, but patients too. Now when I get a new car I don't slam it together Friday night, paint a stupid one color body, just to race it Saturday and have the thing handle like crap and fall apart. Instead I show some self control. I show up a couple weeks later with a car that is perfectly built, painted with my paint scheme, a fresh set of the right tires for the track, and a car that works well and stays together.

If your kid is mature and mechanically inclined a kit might be a good option, if he/she is more of the run and gun type an rtr will probably make them happier.

Either way with you guys being new I would not recommend anything used. It will be more of a hassle than the small amount of money you might save. Not to mention giving a used thing as a gift. It would be one thing to get a used car, fix it up, then give it to him. But at this point in time you don't have enough time to do that. If you want to see that look on his face a new kit or rtr is the best way to go.

Personally, I would recommended a Traxxas 2wd Slash. Big, durable, waterproof, and you can get parts just about anywhere. I would wait on the brushless as an upgrade for his birthday. I also don't know much about the Exceed stuff. Personally I would stick with a Traxxas for a new venture in this hobby.
Old 12-11-2012, 08:03 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by R.Shackleford
This is where you really have to know how mature you kid is. I got my first hobby grade r/c for Christmas when I was 8. It was a kit and my father and I spent the next few days building the kit. We took the electronics out of his old Tamiya Rough Rider to get it going. All in all it was probably a couple weeks later before the car was all ready to run. I still remember the last thing that needed done was to paint the body. We laid down several coats of Daytona Yellow, then headed off to grandma's house to keep my mind occupied while it dried. Later that day I got to run my Christmas gift for the first time.

For Christmas when I was 13 my dad got me another kit. This time I wanted nicer stuff electronics wise because it was a car just for the track. So I got the kit for Christmas, and again we spent the next couple days putting it together. It took until my birthday in March of scrimping and saving every bit of money I could to get all the stuff together to have the car ready to hit the track. The deal with my dad always stood, whatever money I could raise, he would match it.

A kit not only taught me how to work on the car, but patients too. Now when I get a new car I don't slam it together Friday night, paint a stupid one color body, just to race it Saturday and have the thing handle like crap and fall apart. Instead I show some self control. I show up a couple weeks later with a car that is perfectly built, painted with my paint scheme, a fresh set of the right tires for the track, and a car that works well and stays together.

If your kid is mature and mechanically inclined a kit might be a good option, if he/she is more of the run and gun type an rtr will probably make them happier.

Either way with you guys being new I would not recommend anything used. It will be more of a hassle than the small amount of money you might save. Not to mention giving a used thing as a gift. It would be one thing to get a used car, fix it up, then give it to him. But at this point in time you don't have enough time to do that. If you want to see that look on his face a new kit or rtr is the best way to go.

Personally, I would recommended a Traxxas 2wd Slash. Big, durable, waterproof, and you can get parts just about anywhere. I would wait on the brushless as an upgrade for his birthday. I also don't know much about the Exceed stuff. Personally I would stick with a Traxxas for a new venture in this hobby.
Everything in this post is correct but the bold is the most important for just getting started..IMO
Old 12-11-2012, 08:15 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I wouldn't rule out the ECX stuff...I got my kids a couple of Torment SCTs, & they're stronger and handle a little better than a Slash (I know because I used to have a Slash). They're also waterproof and well under $200 RTR.
Old 12-11-2012, 08:43 AM
Tech Rookie

Redcats?
Old 12-11-2012, 08:49 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 24 (96%+)

if you are looking for a cheap kit get the regular sc10 at stormer, its only 160 ish brand new, keep in mind you will need electronics, but it will be a great experience for both of you. i got my first car when i was about 11 i convinced my parents to buy me a micro-t for Christmas. they bought me 2 and they were both broken within days. i had no idea how to fix them so they sat for months until i started on websites. then my obsession took off.

you don't want your kid stuck with a broken car a few days after Christmas so i suggest a new slash 2wd brushed or a sc-10 basic kit or rtr brushed. the traxxas will be stronger but the sc-10 will handle better ultimately it will be up to you but either of these would be a great start, and i wish i could've started with one of these instead

STAY AWAY FROM REDCATS no parts support
Old 12-11-2012, 09:46 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Redcat...NO

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.