R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road-4/)
-   -   Engine mount problems.... (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road/67357-engine-mount-problems.html)

DJ_Normal 03-27-2005 08:34 AM

Engine mount problems....

Thanks for clicking.

I've got a 9.5 pro, and I went to install my O.S. RG-X, and then noticed my engine mounts don't have enough clearance for the pull starter. I need about 4mm more clearance. Does someone make pull-start engine mounts for the 9.5? If not, could I shim it with washers? The washer shims worry me because I don't want the engine moving around in there.

Also, what are the dimensions of the motor mount mounting screws (the ones on the bottom)? They are 3mm heads, but what is the thread size?

Thanks in advance for any assistant you can provide.

jbrow1 03-27-2005 09:13 AM

I'd say if you're going to shim it up, use a piece of aluminum the same size as the ears on the engine, then just drill the holes in it. That way the full ear is supported, and not just the circular area where it sits on a washer. Your other questions I can't help ya with, as I don't know the answers.

DJ_Normal 03-27-2005 10:03 AM

Originally posted by jbrow1
I'd say if you're going to shim it up, use a piece of aluminum the same size as the ears on the engine, then just drill the holes in it. That way the full ear is supported, and not just the circular area where it sits on a washer.
That is what I was thinking too, but I don't have the means to shape it properly. I'll have to start hunting.

Unless there is a manufacturer that makes them.....

T-BirdJunkie 03-27-2005 05:31 PM

I've never owned an OS big block, but I know their small blocks come with "shims" that go under the engine mount tabs to raise the engine if you have a bumpstart engine mount.
If ya like, I can mail ya mine and you can give 'er a shot (but i'm fairly certain it wont really work)

jbrow1 03-27-2005 06:41 PM

Doesn't really take much to shape it properly. Just a hacksaw and file. Dremel works well too. Then just drill the holes in it. I've made em like that. The small block ones mentioned above will also work as servo shims if you ever need those.

DJ_Normal 03-27-2005 07:42 PM

Originally posted by T-BirdJunkie
I've never owned an OS big block, but I know their small blocks come with "shims" that go under the engine mount tabs to raise the engine if you have a bumpstart engine mount.
If ya like, I can mail ya mine and you can give 'er a shot (but i'm fairly certain it wont really work)

Wow. Thanks for the generosity. :nod: Are they big block shims?

T-BirdJunkie 03-27-2005 09:26 PM

Nah, they came with the SB's that i've gotten from OS.
but if i can dig up 2 sets of 'em, they're yours.

DJ_Normal 03-28-2005 09:25 PM

Nah, they came with the SB's that i've gotten from OS.
but if i can dig up 2 sets of 'em, they're yours.

If they are for a big block, then I'll take them off your hands.

T-BirdJunkie 03-28-2005 10:00 PM

do you have a dremel?

venomousRC 03-29-2005 09:16 PM

You should check with someone that has a GS Storm. The chassis holes should be the same, but if you want to measure them. I wil measure the mounts for the storm, Then you know what you need and they are cheap too.

Darin Gray
[email protected]

DJ_Normal 03-29-2005 09:44 PM

do you have a dremel?
I do.

You should check with someone that has a GS Storm. The chassis holes should be the same, but if you want to measure them. I wil measure the mounts for the storm, Then you know what you need and they are cheap too.
I imagine the holes would line up the same as any other .21 engine mount.

T-BirdJunkie 03-29-2005 10:10 PM

What I was thinkin is you could just get some scrap aluminum and cut it up
about 1/8" (if that) should do it.