Community
Wiki Posts
Search

losi 22 or associated b4.1?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 06:53 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I currently own a 22 and have driven several B4s. Having not owned a b4 I can't comment on durability or out of the box quality. I did enjoy driving them a lot. They seemed to be very responsive to wheel input and had great cornering. The 22 diff is a little touchy and likes to be a lot tighter then most others. I would recommend upgrading to the carbide diff balls and ceramic thrust balls. I have recently switched to ceramic diff balls as well and really like them. Adding certain hop ups and weight help a lot with most of the steering issues. Haven't had any real durability issues. Overall the biggest factor is parts support from your lhs. It sucks if something breaks and you have to track it down online and then wait for it.
Old 03-26-2012, 04:36 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I like the idea of testing them but not sure how the local guys would feel. It seems to be the handling is the major difference. I have heard the 22 diff has to be buttery smooth to get proper traction. I'm not worried about the cost, like I previously stated I just want the best. Is there a car that has the jumping of the 22 and handling of the b4.1?
Old 03-26-2012, 04:43 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by elex300
What issues were you having? I've been running one for over a year with 0 issues.
My problem was with the diff. I bought one of the first ones they had available. The electronics that came with it went bad after 2 batteries so I upgraded and then the diff went out. Once again I upgraded and had another motor issue. Replaced it then the diff would continuously come loose so I thought it was backwards, in which it wasn't but I switched it anyhow. That definitely didn't fix it so I switched it back tightened it all down and sold it. The guy who bought it raced it and it seemed to be ok. Everyone I spoke to about it couldn't figure out my problem or why I was even having one. The lhs had no clue either. I just gave up with it since I couldn't have fun for more then 5 mins. I just decided to try electrics one more time with a buggy
Old 03-26-2012, 06:26 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 8drenlnjunkE
I like the idea of testing them but not sure how the local guys would feel. It seems to be the handling is the major difference. I have heard the 22 diff has to be buttery smooth to get proper traction. I'm not worried about the cost, like I previously stated I just want the best. Is there a car that has the jumping of the 22 and handling of the b4.1?
Rear traction is not an issue at all. In fact, sometimes the rear has far too much traction for me. I've had to tweak the set-up to get the rear to "unstick" since I like to be able to kick the rear out on certain corners. The stock diff is just not good. It needs upgraded diff balls for sure. I run B-fast balls and rings in mine and it is awesome! The diff also likes to be run tight in the 22. I always ran B-fast diffs in my B4 as well though, so this was not a draw back for me. The 22 is very sensitive to set up changes. If my ride height is not 24/24, it just doesn't feel right. And now I have the shorty lipo in it and it has really come to life.

Man would it be great to have a car that is as stable as the 22, jumps like the 22, but could corner like the b4. I don't think there is one. Other vehicles that are good would be the Kyosho RB5, Tamiya 201, and the Durango DEX210. I know the Kyosho has a good following. Doesn't seem like the Tamiya is as popular in the US. The Durango has a growing following but I think Durango is still working on their parts availability.
Old 03-26-2012, 06:47 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

I've driven only one dex210. It felt exactly like my 22, but more loose.

good luck getting parts for it, though.

I bought one durango, I'll never make that mistake again.
Old 03-27-2012, 10:17 PM
Tech Master

Uh kyosho parts are not readily available around me and from what my lhs has said is I'd basically be stuck with ordering them myself. I'm pretty sure I'd rather have the 22 or b4 though. Both cars seem legit I guess at my next local race Im going to see about driving some but might flip a coin and get one. Sounds like either buggy would be solid with a few upgrades
Old 03-27-2012, 10:32 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 78 (100%+)

Is there a car that has the jumping of the 22 and handling of the b4.1?
Yea, a b4 with losi shocks/springs, or just springs.

B4's don't jump as good as kyosho's or losi's until you switch the spring setup. I (personally) found that the difference in lap time is small; but makes the car easier to drive. B4 def has more steering. And out of the box it's cheaper and doesn't really need anything to make it track worthy (besides track tire choice).

Btw, I've never raced a 22. But I do drive another losi; so I'm not biased towards any company.
Old 03-28-2012, 05:25 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ZEe_NYC
Yea, a b4 with losi shocks/springs, or just springs.

B4's don't jump as good as kyosho's or losi's until you switch the spring setup. I (personally) found that the difference in lap time is small; but makes the car easier to drive. B4 def has more steering. And out of the box it's cheaper and doesn't really need anything to make it track worthy (besides track tire choice).

Btw, I've never raced a 22. But I do drive another losi; so I'm not biased towards any company.

Before I sold my b4, I had kyosho velvet shocks on it and it did make the buggy easier to drive and landed jumps much better, but not as good as my 22. I think the longer wheelbase also helps on the 22 but you can get the +8 chassis on the b4.
Old 03-28-2012, 07:25 AM
Tech Regular

Default B4.1ft

i would go with the b4.1 ft. alot of people use 22's at my local track. but the b4.1's make the fastest lap times. B4.1ft
Old 03-28-2012, 08:08 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

i have the b4.1 and have never driven a 22 before, and like others are saying about steering on the b4 being better than the 22, i have to disagree because all mine does is not turn and i have tried darn near everything, but what i would say is, is that it doesnt matter what kind you would get just for the fact is 99% of rc racing is the driver, if you cant be consistant it doesnt matter what kind of buggy you get, its all preference (in my opinion)
Old 03-28-2012, 03:33 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 60 (100%+)

find a good hobby shop close and friendly buy what they stock parts for.
Old 03-28-2012, 03:38 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by motobigalow
find a good hobby shop close and friendly buy what they stock parts for.
+1 thats all it is, is parts availability and preference basically both cars will keep up with each other all day easily they are both proven race cars for sure, parts is the biggest thing to think about when buying a new car
Old 03-28-2012, 04:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Yes. A 22 with -5mm chassis. Feels like a b4.1/22 hybrid. The best of both worlds.
Old 03-28-2012, 06:17 PM
Tech Master

I'm a pretty consistent driver and all my LHS carry plenty of parts for both cars. I definitely agree though if you can't drive it doesn't matter which vehicle. I'm mainly looking for the pros and cons for each. I know each needs a few hop ups and each need to be set up properly.