Wiki Posts
Search

Why Hasn't E-1/8 Taken Off?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 08:20 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by t3gt
I know what actual size they are, but they are still not as durable as the 8th scales, which are made with better, sturdier materials......And what do you think an SC8 is?....it's an RC8T chassis with RC8 suspension....this brings the dimensions to look like the real 1:1 Short Course trucks....you can do this with ANY manufacturer that makes 8th scales.....Not getting nasty here, just letting you know man....
Thanks, but I already do know.

The reason the 4x4sct's are lighter is because the goal was to make them usable with 1/10 electronics, it almost works but 550 motors are necessary to manage their considerable weight (compared to a 1/10). If you make a 1/8 truck conversion it will be too heavy to run well on 2s and 550 motors.

The current 4x4 SC's have been pretty durable from what I've seen. They race on the same tracks we run 1/8 on and hold up pretty well. The only ones I ever see break are being abused in a way that would break any vehicle eventually.
Old 12-19-2011, 08:26 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I don't see the problem with having 8th scales and 10th scales on the same track....maybe it's the level of maturity that is a question, or maybe we're just lucky?........I know my local track runs both scales successful all the time with NO issues....Electric and Nitro....all day, for single day events and 2 day events.....The TiltYard is a Great place the Race!!
Old 12-19-2011, 08:31 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Davidka
The current 4x4 SC's have been pretty durable from what I've seen. They race on the same tracks we run 1/8 on and hold up pretty well. The only ones I ever see break are being abused in a way that would break any vehicle eventually.
I here that Davidka.....I'm sticking with the 8th scales, BUT, if there was a 10th scale that I HAD to buy to race in a 4WD SCT class that is available right now, it would be the LOSI SCTE, since it's the closest to an 8th scale setup....
Old 12-19-2011, 08:33 PM
Tech Addict

Judging by the number of posts in this thread, I'd say that there's alot of interest in e1/8th.

A converted Losi 810 is the perfect platform for e1/8 IMHO. You can run it on 2s with a 1410 competetively, or run it on 3s with a 1415 and be balistic with it all day. It's just a shortened SCTE and shares the same parts. Very inexpensive to run it when compared to an 8ight-e or similar. You can even run it on 4s with an 1/8 motor in it if you think you can handle it.
Old 12-19-2011, 08:36 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hi all

we run the short course truck and 1/8e and nitro in the same class

there are about three 1/8e buggy guys

there are nitro guys that run short course truck as well

i def think nitro is more expense esp with needing two servos and also the bearings inside the motor can be up to 100 dollars. Also replace all the other parts needed with nitro and also the cost of fuel is exp.
Old 12-19-2011, 08:39 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dirtracer1
Judging by the number of posts in this thread, I'd say that there's alot of interest in e1/8th.

A converted Losi 810 is the perfect platform for e1/8 IMHO. You can run it on 2s with a 1410 competetively, or run it on 3s with a 1415 and be balistic with it all day. It's just a shortened SCTE and shares the same parts. Very inexpensive to run it when compared to an 8ight-e or similar. You can even run it on 4s with an 1/8 motor in it if you think you can handle it.
I've seen one or two of these. If Losi would stretch the chassis slightly and make this a kit I'd buy one. 6lb 1/8 e-buggy? Yes please..
Old 12-19-2011, 08:44 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Davidka
I've seen one or two of these. If Losi would stretch the chassis slightly and make this a kit I'd buy one. 6lb 1/8 e-buggy? Yes please..
One of our club racers has a 810 stretch out with a TLR flex tuned SCTE chassis the car is lethal in the ride hands.
Old 12-19-2011, 09:39 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 77 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Edumakated
I was one of the very early adopters of electric 1/8th (back when we ran Neu motors and modded Mamba Maxs and MGM speedos) and had very high hopes for the class. It got me back into RC as a hobby and racing as I am not a nitro fan and don't really care for 1/10 either. Electric 1/8 had the best of both worlds... 1/8 power and durability, but the fume/noise free racing and convenience of electric. So what could possibly go wrong?

However, the reality is that it has been slow to catch on as fast as some have predicted.

Locally, the class has struggled, but I know in some areas the class is thriving. I guess I just wanted to start a discussion as to how we can help the class along and figure out what is holding it back.

In my experience locally, it just seems like e 1/8 is a redheaded step child. We don't really fit in with nitros and neither do we with the 1/10 crowd.

The 1/10 guys don't like sharing the track with 8th scales because the 8ths can drive right through the 1/10s leaving carnage on the track. The nitros don't like us because we are quiet, faster, and can't run as long.

Thoughts?
Haha, that's totally backwards from any of my experiences. 1/8 e is really big here, I mean really big. They put me in with the 1/8 e buggies with my b44.1 and spank them all the time to the point the don't want me in there class because "its 1/10, not 1/8" but the first few time I ran with them they had no problem because "its a 1/10, hell break the first time he crashes" (to bad i still won with that broken car). They think that 1/8 is gods gift to this green earth.

As far as people whining about tuning with 1/8 and 1/10 on the track together, the only guys the bitch about it are the 1/8 guys, all the time. The same guys who don't do a dam bit of work on the track, who drive on the track when its wet, really wet, the same guys who don't think they need to Marshall the race after there's, the same guys who don't get to the track when they are called or get off when they are told to, leave right after there main (again no marshaling) and I can go on and on...

Sorry, this turned into a little bit of a rant.
Old 12-19-2011, 10:25 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tc5 man
Thats rediclus to ban the 1/8 e buggys at a track way to lose money thats for sure.

WCRC banned 1/8th E buggies & Truggies due to risk and cost.

#1 out of control drivers driving E 1/8th were hurting people which
#2 drives up insurance costs causing over head to be over whelming.

I've raced E 1/8th at WCRC and I don't blame Danny one bit for banning
them. Some of those guys have no clue about driving under control in a
safe manner...

Then theres the fact they tear the track up causing Danny's labor costs
to go up. Track crews don't work for free.

I'm sure if the 1/8th E guys wanted to pay $50.00 a class or more to off
set the extra costs of racing them Danny would be willing to bring them
back. Most E 1/8th drivers I see at most tracks can't afford to keep their
stuff in proper running order, so I don't see them paying what it takes to
keep the costs under control for the owner.

I'm with Danny (WCRC) if I owned his track (Which is first Class") I
would not allow 1/8th E anything on it either...

You can bash me all you want, but those careless,disrespectful drivers
brought this on themselves (end of story")
Old 12-19-2011, 10:58 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 146 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dirtracer1

i ran my 810e for the first time saturday. ran awesome. i'm using a tenshock X802 2400kv 1/8 motor on 3S and it RIPS.
Old 12-20-2011, 04:50 AM
Tech Addict

I hear you guys....then it IS what I thought, a lack of maturity, and also sounds like a good bit of disrespect to other drivers and the track owner....We don't have that problem over here, thank god....so we're able to run whatever classes any group of racers want to run.....In this case, I'm truly greatful for my local track even more than I was....
Old 12-20-2011, 06:08 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by Chuck 21

safe manner...

Well thats supriseing the tracks ive been to at least ive seen guys who drove 1/8 E buggys and can get crazy but nobody ever got hurt . It doesnt cost that much to keep up the running cost in the long run on a 1/8 E buggy or truggy really compared to a 4x4 sc.

Whos driving the 1/8 e buggys or truggys teenagers ? adults ?
There not that hard to control you can slow them down.

I just never heard of a track who bans a certain class well of course 1/5 scale
Old 12-20-2011, 06:15 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Chuck 21

safe manner...

My trk had the nut drivers & the track owner told the guilty ones to either cool it or get out. He did not spoil it for everyone. Thats the problem with our schools etc. you know the PROBLEM CHILD but the principles dont have the guts to deal with it properly. Instead they take the easy route.
Old 12-20-2011, 06:19 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Edumakated
I was one of the very early adopters of electric 1/8th (back when we ran Neu motors and modded Mamba Maxs and MGM speedos) and had very high hopes for the class. It got me back into RC as a hobby and racing as I am not a nitro fan and don't really care for 1/10 either. Electric 1/8 had the best of both worlds... 1/8 power and durability, but the fume/noise free racing and convenience of electric. So what could possibly go wrong?

However, the reality is that it has been slow to catch on as fast as some have predicted.

Locally, the class has struggled, but I know in some areas the class is thriving. I guess I just wanted to start a discussion as to how we can help the class along and figure out what is holding it back.

In my experience locally, it just seems like e 1/8 is a redheaded step child. We don't really fit in with nitros and neither do we with the 1/10 crowd.

The 1/10 guys don't like sharing the track with 8th scales because the 8ths can drive right through the 1/10s leaving carnage on the track. The nitros don't like us because we are quiet, faster, and can't run as long.

Thoughts?
1/8th E is the hot looking hooker of r/c. Everyone wants to touch because it's quick & easy but nothing more.
Old 12-20-2011, 06:38 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

wow, there are some weak posts in this thread

generalize much?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.