Search
Like Tree478Likes

Carpet Off-road Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2024, 06:34 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by staiguy
Latest track layout

fun and fast with smaller technical features but still challenging. Don’t crash!
been fun watching some of the video, funny seeing everyone late apex and avoid the drop offs
Old 05-12-2024, 06:47 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Latest track layout

fun and fast with smaller technical features but still challenging. Don’t crash!

How tall are the ramps? I had a few recently complaining about ramps being too steep, too big on a local track. Now they don’t want to come back. Track looks great. I’m watching some of the video. If it was 2100 miles I’d be looking to get there
kufman and staiguy like this.
Old 05-12-2024, 08:47 AM
Tech Prophet

5th trip to Rug Burnerz in Menasha, Wisconsin

BP and staiguy like this.
Old 05-12-2024, 10:40 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Billy Kelly
How tall are the ramps? I had a few recently complaining about ramps being too steep, too big on a local track. Now they don’t want to come back. Track looks great. I’m watching some of the video. If it was 2100 miles I’d be looking to get there
If I had to guess the metal kickers are about foot, the drop offs are about 3 inches and the other double set of doubles about 1.5 feet. The table top is the biggest at about 3 feet but everyone jumps it by cutting the corner. Even though you can get jump those double kickers hard, the track set up forces you to barely jump it. Overshoot and you car has no settle time. I think we got tired of too many big jumps but there’s no pleasing everyone (this layout is a good middle ground). Sometimes it’s too fast and people complain if you make one mistake your done and can’t catch up.

hippo_408 17.5 and higher turns simply can’t make that fast low jump without taking it wide, especially if you have a smaller capacity battery at the end of the run. The jump has no kick to it and you get no air. On the first day, lots of people took the drops but would clip the landing every time and flip. I liked taking the first drop and going around the second, but if you clip the jump you get stuck. I think most would rather play it safe than get stuck in a bad spot.

I’m really liking those rug burnerz tracks. I guess if we ever in the area we gotta track visit
Billy Kelly likes this.

Last edited by staiguy; 05-12-2024 at 10:54 AM.
Old 05-16-2024, 11:48 AM
Tech Prophet

Batavia, Illinois. They seem to have settled in with these ramps in different locations. They did lower the stand rail. But even on a step stool, could not see the area in front of the ramp at bottom or picture. Haven’t decided on where I’m going Saturday yet
River19 likes this.
Old 05-31-2024, 10:26 PM
Tech Prophet

On my way to MMR in Minneapolis. 7hrs down, 90 minutes to go
Old 06-01-2024, 07:13 AM
Tech Prophet

MMR3. Minneapolis, Minnesota. I’ve been here for on road before. First time got off road

Old 06-02-2024, 03:15 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Intersting.....looks fun.

How did you like the track?
Old 06-02-2024, 04:22 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by River19
Intersting.....looks fun.

How did you like the track?
I like it, but my buggys are horrible on it. I can’t figure out the ramps, my traction is very inconsistent on them. Middle section is killing me even more. Showing everything I’ve never figured out.
Old 06-02-2024, 12:45 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Is it just plain wood jumps? They need to throw some carpet on them otherwise it looks so slick. I assume the best approach was just go straight. Maybe this is a case where foam tires could be better all around vs regular carpet pins?
River19 likes this.
Old 06-03-2024, 06:56 AM
Tech Prophet

Is it just plain wood jumps? They need to throw some carpet on them otherwise it looks so slick. I assume the best approach was just go straight. Maybe this is a case where foam tires could be better all around vs regular carpet pins?
Carpet tires only. They wouldn’t object to someone running slicks, since another local track runs them. They have been running these style ramps for at least 10 years based on the pictures around the track. Much more like clay jumps, not flat. Right side higher then left on some, opposite on others. Theres flex to them on landing. Definitely not the flat jumps carpet gets criticized for. Fuzz bite, pin swag style work better then pin style. Traction builds over the day on them. Sunday felt a lot better than Saturday.
staiguy likes this.
Old 06-04-2024, 07:37 AM
Tech Prophet

Here’s the 4w main from Sunday at MMR3

https://youtu.be/bci7_Ibp5l4?si=BRG4P463xzNnJgxX
Old 06-04-2024, 08:01 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

ROAR Region 11 1/10th Carpet Offroad regionals this weekend at PDX -- https://www.pdxrcunderground.com/roa...XkRGVEIPDb2TOD
Old 06-04-2024, 10:53 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Billy Kelly Not sure if I dig that set of quads with that jump material. Looks like the fast line is to take them as a triple then single but I would imagine any slippage on take off results in the awkward crashes we saw in the main which seem like they would be fairly typical, especially if this was the A Main vs. B/C etc.

Meh, racing is racing the track is the same for everyone.
Old 06-04-2024, 12:16 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by River19
Billy Kelly Not sure if I dig that set of quads with that jump material. Looks like the fast line is to take them as a triple then single but I would imagine any slippage on take off results in the awkward crashes we saw in the main which seem like they would be fairly typical, especially if this was the A Main vs. B/C etc.

Meh, racing is racing the track is the same for everyone.
There’s definitely a home track advantage. There were only 2 of us from out of state. Myself and another, but he’s run there before when visiting family.

Top 5 were triple/single. Most were double/double. But had to land the first double just right or probably end up flipping trying to double the second. I left them in the video for the other mains, I bet there more then 25 restarts from crashes on opening lap in the quad jump.

Unfortunately, it will probably be a year before I get another try at it. They run off road on Friday night during fall/winter/spring. Not an easy thing for me to make.
River19 likes this.

Last edited by Billy Kelly; 06-04-2024 at 12:27 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.