Wiki Posts
Search

Is RC pricing itself out of the Market?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2011, 09:10 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Krio
Something tells me you are driving a different brand sct. Can't quite put my finger on it though...

touche'
Old 10-14-2011, 09:15 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)
Default hop ups

Like any other competitive hobby business, some r/c companies sell kits and parts, and some sell just hop up parts. Since the hop up segment is relatively lucrative, the companies have to convince you to purchase their hop ups to win.

If you look at the losi scte, there are at least 3 companies selling aftermarket or hop up chassis for the truck (losi, bce, bump.) In addition, losi sells a full range of hop up parts for the truck including aluminum bits, tuning aids (springs, etc,) and much more. You also have many bodies that will fit the truck (Proline, JConcepts, etc,) and many tires that will fit (hpi, proline, jconcepts, etc.) I didn't even mention the electronics, batteries, etc.

Do you have to buy the hop ups? Do you really think that a better driver wouldn't beat your hopped up truck with the same truck stock? Do you really think that spending $300 on a tekin rx8 and a pro4 motor will help you beat a better driver?

The point is you don't need to spend the extra money, you choose to. The hop up companies job is to convince you that you have to.

One more thing. If you are going to spend money on hopups, different cars require different hop ups to be "competitive." According to some, the losi scte might need a stiffer chassis, the sc10 4x4 might need the sway bars, clutch basket, etc. You can also choose to purchase a kit that doesn't "need" the hopups, or needs less to be "competitive."

In the end though, it's grown men spending money on toys. If you have the disposable income and enjoy the hobby, spend it. But remember, you don't have to.

Last edited by billjacobs; 10-14-2011 at 10:20 AM.
Old 10-14-2011, 10:17 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Cpt.America

RAcing is literally 10X easier than it was 10 years ago. (not the driving, of course)
Yes, Yes, and more Yes.
Of course its much more frustrating now for those that can't drive as well as they could spend.

However the really fast guys are STILL working furiously in the pits.. Now instead of looking for that special battery/com lube/cutting bit/brush/rollout combo that gave you 1 sec/lap over the average joe in the old brushed/round cell days they are now going for the magic chassis setup/ gearing/timing combo that will give them 2 or 3 tenths. The guy working his ass off is still gonna beat the guy that's not. Well unless of course he is just that dominant.

Main difference now is that it doesn't take $1000 to buy that extra speed.

Tuning is becoming such an art now that its getting REALLY challenging for the newb or the non-mechanically inclined to feel like they are up to the game.
Old 10-14-2011, 10:28 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by 2wdMod
"How fast do you want to spend???" if you know what I mean..
I could not have said it any better myself.
Old 10-14-2011, 03:29 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by junkman12
if anything your buck goes further now than it ever has. I can remember 15 years or so ago. Buy a rc10 team car roller for close to $200 for a roller, add a $60 motor, that has to be cut and rebuilt and still not last a season, a $100 esc, a $60 matched pack just so you can squeeze 4 minutes run time, and a $100 magnum jr, and a good servo for around $60, your up around $600 already. Now you can buy a losi scte for $275, a mamba max pro and cc 3800 4 pole for $175, 6000 nanotech for $45, dx3e for $100 and a servo for $60 or so. That gets you not too far over $600 for something that will run 15 minutes, at the front of the pack, all season long with no worries of heat or glitching!
I was actually thinking the same thing. Fifteen years ago $60 for a matched pack was cheap. Top of the line matched cells were pushing $100 easy and as you said, that was for four minutes. If you raced you had at least, four race packs plus a couple practice packs (per vehicle raced). Motors were only slightly cheaper then they are now and they required constant maintenance (=$$$). Top shelf ESCs are more than they were 15 years ago but I still don't think its that bad. I remember paying $150+ for a top of the line Tekin fifteen years ago (411P?, G10 I don't remember). My FM Futaba back then was only slightly less than my current 4PL and with the 4PL I don't need to buy extra crystals. I will gladly pay extra for all the advancements we currently get to enjoy. Plus, with the quality of RTRs getting better and better, (and cheaper) I think more people are getting into hobby grade RC cars.
Old 10-14-2011, 10:59 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by TJMac
I don't need to buy extra crystals.
OMG, I forgot ALL about the crystals! Man WE ARE SPOILED today.

So how is it back when we put up with all that went along with racing in the 90's we had such large car counts?

Well, I guess I just answered my own question. Counts came down as a result of all that went into it.

What I can't believe is that the hobby isn't BOOMING right now. Maybe it is or soon will be?

With as great as we have it now I believe it will.
Old 10-15-2011, 01:19 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by jasons56
OMG, I forgot ALL about the crystals! Man WE ARE SPOILED today.

So how is it back when we put up with all that went along with racing in the 90's we had such large car counts?

Well, I guess I just answered my own question. Counts came down as a result of all that went into it.

What I can't believe is that the hobby isn't BOOMING right now. Maybe it is or soon will be?

With as great as we have it now I believe it will.
Interesting ... I just checked the price of a set of Futaba FM crystals...$20. WTF?! I don't remember them being that cheap. Maybe the price has dropped thanks to 2.4ghz?
Old 10-15-2011, 02:05 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

i just switched classes, went from 1/8 buggy to 1/10 2wd sct.

bought:
losi xxx-sct $169
Speed Passion Cirtix Stock ESC 17.5 moto combo $90
Gens Ace 5000mah 2s 40c lipo $30
Thunder Lipo Charger $49
Misc Connectors(bullet, deans, ect) $15

roughly $350(give or take $20)

Already had radio, receiver, servo, transponder. only thing ill probably need to buy between races are tires.

its all about what class you run and what you buy. you dont have to buy the most expensive parts out there.
Old 10-15-2011, 02:31 PM
Tech Addict

On some tracks, the RTR version is amazingly competitive. About $300 including a Spektrum radio!
I ran my sons BOX STOCK in our mod sct class a few weeks ago and got TQ and win. Not a huge turnout that day but even so it was plenty fast.

Originally Posted by youwish16
i just switched classes, went from 1/8 buggy to 1/10 2wd sct.

bought:
losi xxx-sct $169
Speed Passion Cirtix Stock ESC 17.5 moto combo $90
Gens Ace 5000mah 2s 40c lipo $30
Thunder Lipo Charger $49
Misc Connectors(bullet, deans, ect) $15

roughly $350(give or take $20)

Already had radio, receiver, servo, transponder. only thing ill probably need to buy between races are tires.

its all about what class you run and what you buy. you dont have to buy the most expensive parts out there.
Old 10-15-2011, 02:52 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

After getting back into the hobby after taking 10+ years off I will have to disagree that the hobby is pricing itself out of the market. I have found it amazingly cheap to get back into the hobby, and the improvements in equipment are amazing. Sure it's not free, but most hobbies require spending to get into. I remember spending hundreds and hundreds on matched batteries alone, add in $500+ charger/matchers, motor lathes ect and I don't want to know how much I blew, and I was poor and in high school at the time....
Old 10-15-2011, 06:17 PM
Tech Adept

Questions??

I agree on the most part.It seems about the same to get in it.But the most troubling to me is the new esc's reliablity.To run basicly one season one class cost one tekin rs + hot wire one viper vtx10 +pro gauge one viper vtx10.All three have failed and needed repair.sold tekin went to viper for there warranaty bought another viper for a spare.You do the math.Its frustrating.
Old 10-15-2011, 06:51 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Man this thread really got me thinking about racing when I was younger. RC racing without a doubt is more affordable now than ever. Back in 88' when I bought my first car, the RC10 graphite, I could barely afford mediocre batteries, and it was always a struggle to make it through a four minute race. I had to be real careful with my gearing. The older guys who could afford the matched cells always had the upper hand. I remember racing at the summer sizzler in Tacoma at the B&I and I TQ'd the novice class. I geared up my car for practice, and forgot to gear down for the main, and dumped my batteries on the last lap. I was one one devistated kid. Getting backinto the hobby after many years, I was pleasantly surprised to see how much the quality had changed for the better with lipo's and brushless motors. It is much more accessible than it ever was, especially for the beginner.
Old 10-15-2011, 06:54 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by olegeezer
I agree on the most part.It seems about the same to get in it.But the most troubling to me is the new esc's reliablity.To run basicly one season one class cost one tekin rs + hot wire one viper vtx10 +pro gauge one viper vtx10.All three have failed and needed repair.sold tekin went to viper for there warranaty bought another viper for a spare.You do the math.Its frustrating.

Wow. That's some bad luck.
I got an RS when they came out and its been very competitive since day one (with software updates) and I've used in in USVTA, Mod Truck, Boosted 17.5 Touring, 12th scale 13.5 boosted, and Mod Touring.

Cheapest long term electronics ever for me!

Heck, I just ran 2nd to a very fast driver in MOD SCT using an original Novak Supersport.

Today's electronics have been VERY good to me!
Old 10-15-2011, 07:13 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Comparing 10th 2wd off road to the late 90s its pretty similar besides that some rtr packages are fairly race ready these days.

If you price it together:
Cars are slightly more
Escs are about 1.5x the price for a top model
Motors are about 1.5x more but last much longer
Chargers are less than half the price
Batteries are waaaaaay less especially since you can get by on one if needed
servos are similar in price.

Add to that the advances in eBay, rctech, and other used markets, and used deals become plentiful.

I'd say its a little cheaper now than it used to be, but classes like 4x4 SC and e8th are just more expensive and didn't exist at that time.
Old 10-15-2011, 09:01 PM
Tech Elite

No hop ups needed on the Caster Pro kits. They come out of the box ready to go with all the goodies. There are a few minor things that are considered accessories, but completely unneccessary. So I disagree.

It amazes me to see people buy a brand of car for a lot of money, and then dump even more into it from a company like Tresrey (great products) and never complain, and then there is the other side of the spectrum where people buy a car and want to go race and act like they can't afford an extra set of arms and then break.

I think a lot of it has to do with exactly how much disposable income someone either has, or is willing to spend. If there isn't a perceived value, then everything is expensive. If rc racing is something that you cannot live without, then it is cheap.

Then of course, some people just cannot do the sports they used to love such as motocross, so they gravitate to rc. Still racing, still off road, still competitive, just not nearly as likely to get injured.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.