R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road-4/)
-   -   Is RC pricing itself out of the Market? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road/558999-rc-pricing-itself-out-market.html)

nv529 10-12-2011 06:56 PM

Is RC pricing itself out of the Market?

I've been thinking about building a 4x4 SC and I can't bring myself to spending over grand on one of the current race rigs (it will be a secondary car) with the economy taking a dump and the cost of everything going up the side effects are really hitting hobby level! I mean C'mon I'm having a hard time getting over spending $360 just a ESC AND MOTOR.

Does anyone else feel like this hobby is starting to over price the fun factor?

Matt Howard 10-12-2011 07:02 PM

no one is forcing you to run 4x4 SC, there's plenty of other classes to run that cost a fraction of the money. Even if you want to run 4x4 SC, who says you have to spend $360 on a motor and esc? I run a HW 120 amp esc (around $100), a 4 pole 4000kv motor from CKhobby ($40-$50), and a Turnigy nanotech battery ($35). Guess what? I've have to turn my endpoint down on the throttle because I have too much power:nod: Spend wisely, not on labels and you can save quite a bit of money.

SaladFork 10-12-2011 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by nv529 (Post 9774688)
I've been thinking about building a 4x4 SC and I can't bring myself to spending over grand on one of the current race rigs (it will be a secondary car) with the economy taking a dump and the cost of everything going up the side effects are really hitting hobby level! I mean C'mon I'm having a hard time getting over spending $360 just a ESC AND MOTOR.

You don't have to pay $360 bucks for a system to compete. Viper is coming out with a 4 pole system designed for the 4wd SC's and it only cost $150 bucks for the motor and esc. Due out next month.

http://i55.tinypic.com/2ijrn07.jpg

kstoracing1 10-12-2011 07:07 PM

Try used then. Last I look there isn't a hobby shop on every corner. Meaning that the market for high grade RC cars isn't as great as we would like. Meaning there is limited profit for companies to make. In regards prices for a smaller market are greater. Tyco has plastic cars in every Walmart Target Biglots etc. Larger market enables lower prices but a chance to make the a profit.

Also the metals in motors, Carbon fiber are sometimes derived from rare materials our market is small and not close to the front of the line to demand its own buying price on these items. Higher prices ensue.

Really there aren't many cheap hobbies. Golf, frisbee golf can all add up.
start used ease in.

forwardonly 10-12-2011 07:19 PM

It is expensive, but I spend less on this than I used to on golf. My cars are cheaper than my helis. I look at it on a cost per year/time spent enjoying the hobby with my kids. Pretty cheap when I look at it this way. I just set a budget and decide what I need vs. what I might "like" to have. I love doing well on a budget too. Very little of my stuff is top of the line and I do well at the club level.

tc5 man 10-12-2011 07:29 PM

are you talking about the 1/8 scale market or the 1/10 market ? I know kyosho certainly does :lol:

tc5 man 10-12-2011 07:35 PM

man your not the only one for instance if i get a 1/8 e buggy im looking into the hobbywing ezron combos its $100 cheaper than the name brands and the reviews for them are not bad.

The most il spend on a esc/motor combo is around the $200s.
I even been thinking about taking a shot at a 4x4 sc race rig but its not really that much cheaper though, than getting a 1/8 e buggy roller brand new and buying the electronics for it.

junkman12 10-12-2011 07:38 PM

if anything your buck goes further now than it ever has. I can remember 15 years or so ago. Buy a rc10 team car roller for close to $200 for a roller, add a $60 motor, that has to be cut and rebuilt and still not last a season, a $100 esc, a $60 matched pack just so you can squeeze 4 minutes run time, and a $100 magnum jr, and a good servo for around $60, your up around $600 already. Now you can buy a losi scte for $275, a mamba max pro and cc 3800 4 pole for $175, 6000 nanotech for $45, dx3e for $100 and a servo for $60 or so. That gets you not too far over $600 for something that will run 15 minutes, at the front of the pack, all season long with no worries of heat or glitching!

2wdMod 10-12-2011 07:40 PM

Nick I too beleive with rising costs in everything,including RC products, that things are getting a little on the steep side with prices.I mean we are now creeping up on the $275 mark for a 2wd buggy kit for one of the "top brand" kits.Thats why I went back to basics..1 2wd rig for myself, and 1 for the youngest boy(recently bitten by the RC bug..)..BUT even with steep prices it is still some of the best bang for your buck, spend some time with the kids , good clean fun activities out there..Seriously look at other hobbies out there.If the boys and I fished for a bonding activity there would be the cost of a boat,liscences, fishing gear, ETC...So really when you put it in reference to some other hobbies out there its not so bad..The question is really at what level do you want to compete, and with ALL types of racing it boils down to "How fast do you want to spend???" if you know what I mean..BTW havent seen you in like a year man!!:tire:

rcguy76559 10-12-2011 07:43 PM

+ 100 for viper stuff :tire:

Jstall7543 10-12-2011 08:09 PM

I've seen guys in 4wd SC with the best of everything get smoked by a guy with a $25 tacon motor and HW esc, turnigy battery, bald tires, trashed body with a hyper10sc. He Smoked all the new breed trucks. You see if your a good driver you can get by with a modest setup and nothing special. Look for a used rtr with good stuff in it and save bunch, learn to help yourself there are plenty of budget items on the market.

I agree the prices for top gear is high, maybe a slash 4x4rtr would be the best bang for your buck right now and still can be competitive in the right hands. :cry: good luck buddy!

Cpt.America 10-12-2011 08:11 PM

My first RC car
Losi JRX-2
$299

My latest RC car
Durango DEX210
$279

Rfury 10-12-2011 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by Cpt.America (Post 9775041)
My first RC car
Losi JRX-2
$299

My latest RC car
Durango DEX210
$279

And that doesn't account for inflation...

Cpt.America 10-12-2011 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by Rfury (Post 9775048)

yep. calculate for inflation, and RC is FAR FAR cheaper than it was 20 years ago.

Mac The Knife 10-12-2011 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by Rfury (Post 9775048)

Or all of the hopups needed for the JRX2