Wiki Posts
Search

Viper esc Good and bad?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 03:24 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bring it on
Also my Viper 2050kv powered caster racing 1/8th buggy took 2nd at the 2011 Jconcepts indoor summer nats. motor ran great all weekend and came off the track at 138 degress.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
You were using a Tekin speedo to drive the motor correct?
Old 08-24-2011, 03:27 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Buckyaga
You were using a Tekin speedo to drive the motor correct?
yes sir, a RX8
Old 11-02-2011, 07:31 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by thecman26
IDK about these vipers... They are just as much as a Tekin... The Tekin is proven! I would go with the Tekin unless you wanna spend money then go with the Orion R10!

The VTX10 and 10R are much smoother power delivery, more programmable, and are much better quality than the Tekin. When you consider the Kits that come with the programmer, they are cheaper than buying a Tekin & a Hotwire, and even so, the VTX has more features you can program, and the track, WITHOUT a laptop. Several times I have made changes to my punch/boost/brake track side before a heat in a matter of seconds. That or during practice you don't have to walk back to the pits to make a change.

When considering the combos that come with the motors, the Viper motors are much smoother and much better quality than the Tekin motors.
Old 11-02-2011, 08:13 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Originally Posted by FLHX1550
The VTX10 and 10R are much smoother power delivery, more programmable, and are much better quality than the Tekin. When you consider the Kits that come with the programmer, they are cheaper than buying a Tekin & a Hotwire, and even so, the VTX has more features you can program, and the track, WITHOUT a laptop. Several times I have made changes to my punch/boost/brake track side before a heat in a matter of seconds. That or during practice you don't have to walk back to the pits to make a change.

When considering the combos that come with the motors, the Viper motors are much smoother and much better quality than the Tekin motors.
I'd be careful about this "much better quality" statement. because, really?
Old 11-02-2011, 08:27 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 29 (97%+)

I run a viper 8.5 and vtx10 combo in my 22, for kicks we took it out and threw in what my local fast guy runs which is a tekin rs pro and novak ballistic 8.5. I noticed two things I really disliked and the tekin, the powerband felt like it had steps, not buttery like my viper, also when I geared it the same as the viper it got super hot, both the esc and the motor (like 165 on the motor and 140+ on the esc) ..with the exact same gearingon my viper I rarely get over 120 on the motor and occasionally break 120 on the esc, I've got room to gear even higher! I also had issues with the brakes on the tekin, I really needed some drag brake in, but I would've needed a laptop, overall, after that experience I am all for viper products, and if something does go wrong with it they are very active and take care of you, I got a warranty claim taken care of in a week from the time I sent it out the door to when I had it in my mailbox back to me. I couldn't be happier with what I have from them, all of my cars will be viper equipped.

Matt
Old 11-02-2011, 08:32 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 29 (97%+)

Originally Posted by lowroad
I've seen the endbell of no less than 6 tekin motors fall off because of poor epoxy, highest quality they are not.

Matt
Old 11-02-2011, 08:35 AM
Team Tekin

Originally Posted by FLHX1550

I understand this is your opinion but let me say that we have the ability to switch between 7 Boost profiles trackside with no laptop. There are 5 pre-set configurations and 2 custom profiles you can set wherever your heart desires. We can change pretty much everything on the ESC that you can on the HotWire, just with less resolution ie; the HotWire is 1-100 steps for drag brake and the ESC onboard is 1-13. The HotWire is really only necessary for fine tuning and there are a lot of racers that really like to dial in their setups.

The quality comment confuses me, I'm not sure how you base that when comparing products, colors perhaps? We use the highest quality components we can get our hands on, ABEC5 motor bearings (these you will not find everywhere,) aircraft grade T6 6061 billet aluminum motor cans, we even designed our own wire and it is made right here in the USA.
Old 11-02-2011, 08:54 AM
Tech Addict

Looks like tekin better step there game up!!! Especially since vipers releasing there 4 pole moters this month
Old 11-02-2011, 09:52 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

I agree , maybe put an IMO in there cause thats all it is . From what I have seen the Viper products are solid , there have been a few failures reported by people on RC Tech but no more than any other brand .

As far as programing once its dialed I find I rarely have too change anything so a field programmer isnt that big of a deal IMO .
Old 11-02-2011, 10:04 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by mdwalsh
I've seen the endbell of no less than 6 tekin motors fall off because of poor epoxy, highest quality they are not.

Matt
I doubt this statement on several levels.
Old 11-02-2011, 10:17 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by TY@TEAMTEKIN
I understand this is your opinion but let me say that we have the ability to switch between 7 Boost profiles trackside with no laptop. There are 5 pre-set configurations and 2 custom profiles you can set wherever your heart desires. We can change pretty much everything on the ESC that you can on the HotWire, just with less resolution ie; the HotWire is 1-100 steps for drag brake and the ESC onboard is 1-13. The HotWire is really only necessary for fine tuning and there are a lot of racers that really like to dial in their setups.

The quality comment confuses me, I'm not sure how you base that when comparing products, colors perhaps? We use the highest quality components we can get our hands on, ABEC5 motor bearings (these you will not find everywhere,) aircraft grade T6 6061 billet aluminum motor cans, we even designed our own wire and it is made right here in the USA.
I understand the features and functionality of the RS, I own one and a Hotwire and have used both extensively. The only thing is with the different profiles, is that one has to have every anticipated adjustment setup in your profiles ready to use. That and the timing features (boost, turbo, etc...), at least according to the RS manual on the Tekin website, are not accessible unless you use a Hotwire / Laptop. Every feature and function on the VTX esc's are available with the ProGage programmer, with even more adjustability.

This summer I will just keep the ProGage in my pocket, and before a run if I feel the traction has changed on the track, I might raise or lower throttle punch, add or subtract boost or timing, all as I see how the conditions are. I have even pulled in during hot-laps and made a change right before a heat. I didn't really think it was that big a deal until I realized how much I actually use it.

As far as the quality comment, it is based on over-all smoothness of the motors (drivability), and fit and finish of the parts, nice heavy anodizing of the components, thicker soldering tabs on the motors, thicker terminals on the esc, esc is an all aluminum, 100% sealed and water-proof case, ...... I've worked for 18 years in manufacturing, starting off as a machinist, then a toolmaker, and now as a manufacturing engineer, and with my opinion, I think the Viper stuff is nicer.
Old 11-02-2011, 10:19 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

I doubt this statement on several levels.
FLHX1550 ran All Tekin last year and this year he switched to Viper. Vipers are awesome speedos I bough mine after seeing his preform so great at the track.

With the viper hand tuner it makes at the track changes a breeze, no more counting beeps. Super easy.

Yea tekin products are nice but I give my edge to Viper.
Old 11-02-2011, 10:25 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by rider313
FLHX1550 ran All Tekin last year and this year he switched to Viper. Vipers are awesome speedos I bough mine after seeing his preform so great at the track.

With the viper hand tuner it makes at the track changes a breeze, no more counting beeps. Super easy.

Yea tekin products are nice but I give my edge to Viper.
Ok, but what does that have to do with the statements made abotu epoxied end bells falling off. Come on
Old 11-02-2011, 10:34 AM
Tech Legend

Default At the track

One the N/w best off-road drivers just switched to the Orion , had the Viper before....
Old 11-02-2011, 10:43 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Wild Cherry
One the N/w best off-road drivers just switched to the Orion , had the Viper before....
And when one is getting product for free, they are no longer able to run a competitor's product.

The thread was started asking about the Viper equipment, and that is what I responded to. Thus far, they have proven to be quite reliable, well performing, and very durable. My VTX10, VST 6.5 and VST10.5 motors are a year old now, and have worked without a hick-up, zero issues.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.