Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Getting back into R/c, have a few quesitons... >

Getting back into R/c, have a few quesitons...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Getting back into R/c, have a few quesitons...

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 05:31 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Getting back into R/c, have a few quesitons...

Hello everyone...
This is my first post... so bear with me.
Ok, I am planning out what kind of set-up I will be going with and I've found a kit I want to try out.
I'm looking at a Jammin SCRT10 4wd Truck and I am wondering what electronics I should get.
First off, I don't plan on spending an arm and a leg for premium electrics, unless it is suitable for my needs.
Another thing, I want it to be legal for sanctioned races, which to my understanding for batteries it's 2s....
I think I've got the battery department covered, I am gonna order a few Gen Aces 5k mah 2s packs, are these any good?
Okay with the other parts, I've been recommended to get a 1/8 esc, I have either 4 choices 120a 1/10 or the 1/8 variant and the 80a versions of both.
I understand the 80a will be good enough but then the motors come into play, given the weight of the truck and all they suggested a 1/8 motor and/or a 550 can motor.
*breather.. again sorry for the long wall of text...
Anyways..
Let me show you my list of parts to give you a generalized view of what I thought of.
Esc
HobbyWing 1/8 Scale C-Xerun 80A Brushless ESC or the 150a variant
or
HobbyWing 1/10 1/12 Scale C-Xerun 120A Brushless ESC or the 80a variant
Motor
Tacon 2848-540XL Brushless Motor 3900KV for 1/10th RC Cars
Tacon 2858-380XL-11T Brushless Motor 2600KV for 1/10 1/12 Car Trucks
Tacon 2858-380XL-9T Brushless Motor 3200KV for 1/10 1/12 Car Trucks

Sorry for no links, I don't know how to embed links for products
Anyways I think I've made this long enough.. I'll wait for more suggestions.
Thanks for your time.
v1ral
Old 08-10-2011, 07:12 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Hi and welcome to the forums..

IMO id steer clear of the motors you have listed,the best value motor for a 4x4 SCT would be the Castle Creations SCT System its a great motor and can by picked up at good prices on Ebay etc some people have had problems with the ESC, so IMO the way to go is to buy the CC1410 motor seperate and then buy a CC-Mamba Max Pro ESC to go with it..

Eg= MOTOR & ESC

Also the Tenshock SC401 is a great value motor as well good info about what ESC to run in that link as well..

And also with the SCRT-10 you want to buy you should also checkout the new updated version the Nexx10sc its better for around the same money hey, more about it HERE..

The batteries your looking at wiill be good as well..
Old 08-10-2011, 07:27 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by waggaclint
Hi and welcome to the forums..

IMO id steer clear of the motors you have listed,the best value motor for a 4x4 SCT would be the Castle Creations SCT System its a great motor and can by picked up at good prices on Ebay etc some people have had problems with the ESC, so IMO the way to go is to buy the CC1410 motor seperate and then buy a CC-Mamba Max Pro ESC to go with it..

Eg= MOTOR & ESC

Also the Tenshock SC401 is a great value motor as well good info about what ESC to run in that link as well..

And also with the SCRT-10 you want to buy you should also checkout the new updated version the Nexx10sc its better for around the same money hey, more about it HERE..

The batteries your looking at wiill be good as well..

Thats what I was going to suggest as well. Best bang for your buck. That motor runs great in an SCRT-10 (as well as an even heavier SCTE). The Mamba Max Pro is a good quality speed control that will be versatile in the future should you want to go in another direction (I run one in my 22, XXX-SCT, and SCTE). Ive seen people use it in 1/8 scale vehicles as well. It can be run sensored or sensorless so you can run it with just about any motor.
Old 08-10-2011, 07:36 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 146 (100%+)

i'd stay away from the mamba max pro. the BEC is weak and you may have to use a capacitor or external BEC to prevent glitching. i have two of them. one is sitting unused and the other will be yanked as soon as i get the replacement.

the tenshock SC401/hobbywing SC8 is a great, inexpensive system. i'm running it in my losi SCTE and it's been flawless.
Old 08-11-2011, 03:30 AM
Tech Initiate

Thanks for the great suggestions.
Wow the 10SC looks rather interesting, are they selling this new revision already I will be ordering the kit from Amainhobbies.
Thanks again guys.
v1ral
Old 08-11-2011, 08:16 PM
Tech Initiate

How about a good radio, I was looking at the Spectrum ones but ppl say some aren't good.
I've owned a few Futaba's and the last high/mid range radio I had was one of the hitec radios that didn't need chrystals, I forgot the name. It was used with my Cen Truggy.
I am prolly gonna purchase one of those cheap 2.4 ghz radios, the flysky ones.
Good enough..
How about servos?
Thanks again.
Old 08-11-2011, 11:55 PM
Tech Initiate

Also with battery power.
with a 150a SC8 and the motor suggested.. will the Gens Ace under power that combo.
I see a lot of ppl running 3s~4s, but to stay legal 2s is good.
Sorry for all the noob questions!!
Old 08-12-2011, 12:44 AM
Tech Master

The Gens Ace Batteries are great, they'll handle that esc/motor combo without any problems. I wouldn't skimp on a radio. You can get a pretty good system without spending an arm and a leg. I'd look into the Airtronics MT-4. Yes it's still $270 ish, but it's gotten a lot of really good reviews by people who've run very nice equipment in the past. I'm currently running an M11X which is a fantastic radio, but it's also near $400! Talking to people who've run them both, they say the MT-4 is well worth it's price if you're looking for a high end radio but don't want to spend the super high end prices. I've heard a lot of mixed results with those really cheap radios, heard of quite a bit of glitching as well as problems with reception from distance. I don't have personal experience, but have read enough that I would stay away form them, even on a budget. If you're on a real budget, I'd go with something along the lines with an Airtronics MX Sport or Airtronics MX3X. I'm partial to Airtronics as you can see, but (knock on wood) they've been good for me. Good luck!
Old 08-12-2011, 12:52 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by v1ral
Thanks for the great suggestions.
Wow the 10SC looks rather interesting, are they selling this new revision already I will be ordering the kit from Amainhobbies.
Thanks again guys.
v1ral
Yeah Amain sells them, I got mine from Tower with the supersaver discount and it was cheaper hey..

How about a good radio, I was looking at the Spectrum ones but ppl say some aren't good.
I've owned a few Futaba's and the last high/mid range radio I had was one of the hitec radios that didn't need chrystals, I forgot the name. It was used with my Cen Truggy.
I am prolly gonna purchase one of those cheap 2.4 ghz radios, the flysky ones.
Good enough..
How about servos?
Thanks again.
Go for a 2.4ghz radio if you can afford it, id go with a brand name like Futuba Spektrum or Airtronics, they all offer lower spec cheaper models..

I run a Futuba 3pm-x and im very happy with..

As for servos again if you can go with a brand name, Futuba, Hitec, Savox, are all good..

I run a cheaper Hitec HS-5645MG in my Nexx10sc and it does the job..

Also with battery power.
with a 150a SC8 and the motor suggested.. will the Gens Ace under power that combo.
I see a lot of ppl running 3s~4s, but to stay legal 2s is good.
Sorry for all the noob questions!!
The 2s Gens Ace will fine, IMO the 4x4 SCT like higher C ratings 35C+ and up will good, Ive been using the ProTek 35C 5000mAh and i find there pretty good..
Old 08-12-2011, 07:12 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by RC*PHREAK
i'd stay away from the mamba max pro. the BEC is weak and you may have to use a capacitor or external BEC to prevent glitching. i have two of them. one is sitting unused and the other will be yanked as soon as i get the replacement.

the tenshock SC401/hobbywing SC8 is a great, inexpensive system. i'm running it in my losi SCTE and it's been flawless.
I do have to run an external BEC with mine since I run savox servos but its not a big deal. I havent had a single problem with any of them
Old 08-21-2011, 09:15 PM
Tech Initiate

What servo will I need to use, so I don't need an external BEC.
I think I am going to get the Hobbywing sc8 combo with a Savox servo will I be bother with the BEC issues that arise with so many Savox servo users?
I think I've made up my mind, I am gonna get a Team Losi Ten-SCTE.
If any objections please let me know, I have about a month or 2 of paydays to acquire all the hardware needed to run.
Oh crap, forgot.. What hex sized tools do I need to purchase, I hate using those "L" allen keys.